FLHX

Red-dot sights with astigmatism

I haven't used a good quality RDS but I have been looking at Aimpoints lately for my next AR build. I have been reading that if you have astigmatism that a RDS may not be good. The dot may look more like a coma or a swoosh. Doe anyone here have astigmatism and use RDS that can offer some more info on this? Also I have read that putting a killFlash may help.

Yes, i have it. Best description is a comet that has the shape of a comma.. Tail sweeping down and curled from the right. But I'd think everyone is different. I wear glasses when necessary like when I'm tired or under fluorescent lights and never realized I had that bad of a problem. My glasses, which were a little outdated needed to be replaced. I actually brought my Aimpoint Pro to my eye doctor to confirm it was ok and to find out how to correct the problem. Showed her how I'd use it in different scenarios. She ended up getting me new progressive lens. It cleared up most of it and made the dot almost normal. I can also see a fly brush it's teeth at 100 yards as well as other distances near and far.

When I asked her why can't my glasses make it perfect, she said because I have a very slight start of cataracts which are normal for quite a few people in my age group. Not bad enough for any type of surgery, but to just point out why the fuzziness.

Hope that helps...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Have a stig in both eyes, cant use an aimpoint personally it gets washed out for me and i cant focus well with both eyes open.

I can however use and own an eotech with the 65moa reticle i have never had a prob w/ focusing on any eotech or othe holo sights. I think the tubes that most reddots are made from screw with me.

Have a stig in both eyes, cant use an aimpoint personally it gets washed out for me and i cant focus well with both eyes open.

I can however use and own an eotech with the 65moa reticle i have never had a prob w/ focusing on any eotech or othe holo sights. I think the tubes that most reddots are made from screw with me.

I have a similar problem. Both eyes , with a lens inplant in left eye. In training we are told to get a sight picture with both eyes open. But , I can't. There is no way to focus on the front sight at all with both eyes open. I have to at the very least hard squint my left eye. If I get reading glasses to get the front sight sharp which is the common advice , then I can't see the target And before anyone says the target does not have to be in focus , I mean I can't see it correctly. It is warped and looks way farther away than it really is. So I aim how I have to aim , and I am doing alright with it.

My point is , everyone has different eye issues. One person's astyg is not another person's asyg . Is there anyway you can try a RDS before buying?

Sandy, I resolved the target/sight focus with progressive lens. The tops are out to infinity and as it closes into the bottoms, it tapers to reading. So I can see everything in focus... :)

I have a similar problem. Both eyes , with a lens inplant in left eye. In training we are told to get a sight picture with both eyes open. But , I can't. There is no way to focus on the front sight at all with both eyes open. I have to at the very least hard squint my left eye. If I get reading glasses to get the front sight sharp which is the common advice , then I can't see the target And before anyone says the target does not have to be in focus , I mean I can't see it correctly. It is warped and looks way farther away than it really is. So I aim how I have to aim , and I am doing alright with it.

My point is , everyone has different eye issues. One person's astyg is not another person's asyg . Is there anyway you can try a RDS before buying?

I have minor astigmatism and the dot on my Aimpoint Pro is not quite a perfect circle, but the distortion would only become an issue at ranges of 100+, and I'll always be wearing my contacts if I know I'll be using it at those further distances.

Now, the redicle where I did have a bit more of an issue was the 65 MOA circle on an Eotech. Because the reticle is larger and is imposed over a more significant portion of the field of view, the distortion from my astigmatism was much more problematic and led me to returning it and getting the Aimpoint instead.

I have a Comp M2 I used on one of my M4s before I rebuilt it with an M4A1 barrel and a TA31RCO-M4CP ACOG. Then I lost it (most likely in a tote somewhere in my garage). I have a stigmatism in my left eye but am right eye dominant so it was never an issue for me, always thought it was a good reliable short range sight.

Hehe... Same here.... Till I found a simple, logical test.

I thought my RDS was broken because I wasnt aware I even had astigmatism. My 3MOA red dot looks like a giant starburst until I flip up my backup sights. Once the rear mbus is up the dot is crystal clear.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

John - I tried progressives , but I have an issue with binocular vision so they really did not help at all. When I use my regular script , and half squint my left eye , front sight is sharp , read sights slightly out of focus , target slightly out of focus. Perfect ! ;)

I have astigmatism and i thought my aimpoint sight was broken when i first used it.

Then i went to the eye doctor and got the right prescription contacts and now i see it just fine :)

Just make sure your glasses/contacts are the current, correct prescription and youll be fine. Otherwise your red dot sight will look more like a red blob sight :)

I have a T1 on an AR and you would be more then welcome to check it out and see if you like it. I have a slight astigmatism and the dot is not perfectly sharp, but I find if I keep it on a lower brightness setting it clears up. It does not bother me shooting as I only shoot that out to 200, anything further would be a scope for me.

Yep, they never look like a dot to me. However I am left eye dominant and right handed so if I want to shoot a long gun well I have no choice. I used to put RDS on all long arms but now I just sold off my last rifle and just have handguns. No need for a rifle or shotgun at all. My handguns are my goto weapons for carry and self defense. Just practice real life home defense with a long gun and you will find that things like holding a gun on a burglar while calling 911 may pose a problem. Similarly, flicking light switches, turning door knobs, etc.. Gun just more handy for home defense and if you cannot hit someone the furthers distance in your house one handed you either need more practice have more money than you know what to do with to own such a large house. :)