Cemeterys Gun Blob

Action Alert: BILL S2430 HEARING

Taken from the NJ2AS Facebook.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nj2as/permalink/528148877218016/

EVERYONE!

On January 28, 2013 the NJ Law and Public Safety Committee will be discussing bill S2430 - Declares violence a public health crisis, recommends expansion of mental health programs, recommends federal adoption of gun control measures, and establishes “Study Commission on Violence.” Sponsored by:

Senator RAYMOND J. LESNIAK

District 20 (Union)

Senator SHIRLEY K. TURNER

District 15 (Hunterdon and Mercer)

Co-Sponsored by:

Senators Whelan, Cunningham and Vitale

If you read the summary of this bill, It DOES NOT include allowing a member of the 2A community on the commission! Again, pro second amendment citizens would be ignored during talks about measures to reduce violence and firearms. Please contact your legislators today and let them know how you feel about this!

Link to the HTML version of the bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/S2500/2430_I1.HTM

If you think stuff like this is joke, I suggest you bust out your GoogleFu and reseach how in the 90s the haters tried to push 'gun ownership' and 'gun violence' as a 'public health crisis' and the only way to deal with said crisis was to reduce gun ownership........

d. On January 8, 2011 in Tucson, Arizona, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and 18 others were shot during a public meeting held in a supermarket parking lot. Six of those people were killed;

g. Assault weapons were used in the Tuscon, Arizona shooting, the Fort Hood shooting, and the Columbine High School shooting described above;

Since when did a Glock 19 become an "assault weapon" even under the definition provided by the AWB? How can someone try to ban something without even being able to clearly define it???

Just e-mailed Pennacchio.

I am writing to you today to let you know that I feel that the way that Senate Bill S2430 is currently written does not properly take the interests of the firearms community of NJ into account. There is currently no requirement that a member of the firearms community be a part of the commission. At a minimum, I feel that at least one member of the commission to be recommended by one of the firearm advocacy groups in NJ, such as the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs (ANJRPC) or the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society (NJ2AS). Given that the purpose of the commission is to recommend further gun control measures, the interests of the firearm community need to be represented on this commission.

The Law and Public Safety Committee is:

Law and Public Safety (Group3)

Standing Reference

View Schedule Norcross, Donald - Chair View Votes

Greenstein, Linda R. - Vice-Chair View Votes

Bateman, Christopher View Votes

Holzapfel, James W. View Votes

Sacco, Nicholas J. View Votes

So contact these representatives and have them added to the commission or appointed by the governor. I think he has the power to do so.

I'm pretty sure no "assault weapons" we're used in any of those shootings. Columbine was during the AWB and I believe one weapon was a hi point 9mm carbine but doubt that's an "assault rifle". Fort Hood was an FN 5.7 pistol and Tuscon was a glock. These politicians make me sick. They can't even get their facts straight before they try to ram some feel good legislation down our throats just trying to make a name for themselves.

I'm pretty sure no "assault weapons" we're used in any of those shootings. Columbine was during the AWB and I believe one weapon was a hi point 9mm carbine but doubt that's an "assault rifle". Fort Hood was an FN 5.7 pistol and Tuscon was a glock. These politicians make me sick. They can't even get their facts straight before they try to ram some feel good legislation down our throats just trying to make a name for themselves.

assault weapon is a made up term by politicians. Hi point 9mm has a pistol grip and removable mag they want that now, the fn5.7 has a 20 round mag, they want that mag. The glock was used with a 33rd mag they want that also. They are calling them assault weapons because they can say it and people will catch on and use the term. But we all need to know it is their term they created. As i heard from someone recently, "an assault weapon is any firearm being used to harm a person". Which is true, in the right hands they can call a lever action 22 an assault weapon. Is it really no, but they can call it that.

Make sure your subject it for BOTH S2430 and it's copied counterpart A3690. They are submitted to different Committees!

Thank you Cemetery for the alert. Seems the feed to the legislative schedule isn't updating... Here's what my wife and I wrote:

We are writing to you today to let you know that we feel that the way that Senate Bill S2430/A3690 is currently written does not equally consider the interests of the firearms community within New Jersey. Currently there is no informed, recognized representation from the firearms community included in this commission. We feel that, at a minimum, this commission must include equal representation from the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs (ANJRPC) and the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society (NJ2AS). Because the purpose of the commission is to make recommendations for reducing violence, for which one aspect cited is the study of gun control measures, the commission would be nothing but bisaed without equal representation of the interests of legal, responsible firearms owners in the State of NJ.

Thank you for you attention to this important matter and your constituents.

Gun violence is a public health crisis? Hmph.

According to the FBI:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2010/crime-in-the-u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl08.xls#disablemobile

The total number of deaths by firearms from 2006 to 2010 (the latest data available) is DOWN by 14%, from approximately 15,000 in 2006 to 13,000 in 2010.

So think about this. If deaths from heart disease, cancer, smoking, car crashes, drug abuse, infectious disease, or whatever, were down by 15% over as few as five years, would this be a crisis or a huge success?

So. Give these people no quarter. Make no mistake. Those isn't about a plague of gun violence and the need to suppress it. It is about weak people who lack the courage to take responsibility for themselves and their families, wanting to take the means to act upon that courage from others because they fear that courage.

Write. Call. Email. Lobby. Make your voice heard. Get involved. Be persistent and be polite, but don't be silent.

G

Taken from the NJ2AS Facebook.....

https://www.facebook...28148877218016/

EVERYONE!

On January 28, 2013 the NJ Law and Public Safety Committee will be discussing bill S2430 - Declares violence a public health crisis, recommends expansion of mental health programs, recommends federal adoption of gun control measures, and establishes “Study Commission on Violence.” Sponsored by:

Senator RAYMOND J. LESNIAK

District 20 (Union)

Senator SHIRLEY K. TURNER

District 15 (Hunterdon and Mercer)

Co-Sponsored by:

Senators Whelan, Cunningham and Vitale

If you read the summary of this bill, It DOES NOT include allowing a member of the 2A community on the commission! Again, pro second amendment citizens would be ignored during talks about measures to reduce violence and firearms. Please contact your legislators today and let them know how you feel about this!

Link to the HTML version of the bill: http://www.njleg.sta...500/2430_I1.HTM

If you think stuff like this is joke, I suggest you bust out your GoogleFu and reseach how in the 90s the haters tried to push 'gun ownership' and 'gun violence' as a 'public health crisis' and the only way to deal with said crisis was to reduce gun ownership........

Fired this off to my reps plus Christie:

I am writing to you regarding Bill S2430 to establish a "Study Commission

on Violence". I do agree that violence is increasingly becoming a problem

in the United States and welcome a close look into the causes, trend, and

possible solutions. My concern is that this bill is simply a way to

increase gun control and attack the 2nd Amendment rights of the citizens

of New Jersey. My reasoning for this concern is that the committee is

missing any representation by those that are supporters of the 2nd

Amendment and thus may well submit biased recommendations that further

diminish the 2nd Amendment rights of legal and responsible firearms owners

in the state of New Jersey. Due to this lack of representation by those

that support the 2nd Amendment on the "Study Commission on Violence" I do

not support Bill S2430 and ask that you do not allow it to pass.

Gun violence is a public health crisis? Hmph.

According to the FBI:

http://www.fbi.gov/a...s#disablemobile

The total number of deaths by firearms from 2006 to 2010 (the latest data available) is DOWN by 14%, from approximately 15,000 in 2006 to 13,000 in 2010.

So think about this. If deaths from heart disease, cancer, smoking, car crashes, drug abuse, infectious disease, or whatever, were down by 15% over as few as five years, would this be a crisis or a huge success?

So. Give these people no quarter. Make no mistake. Those isn't about a plague of gun violence and the need to suppress it. It is about weak people who lack the courage to take responsibility for themselves and their families, wanting to take the means to act upon that courage from others because they fear that courage.

Write. Call. Email. Lobby. Make your voice heard. Get involved. Be persistent and be polite, but don't be silent.

G

More stunning if you go on over the WHO and take a look at worldwide murder stats per 100K. US is one of the lowest at 4.2/100K. Then have a look at equally developed nations that ban firearms. Their murder rate are generally 2 to 10 times higher per 100,000! Talk about stretching "crisis".

I emailed my legislators. Here's mine.....

Greetings Legislators of NJ's District 22,

I'm contacting you all on behalf of Bill S2430/A3690, which will establish a "Study Commission

on Violence". I agree that the violence in America must be analyzed and studied closely so that the government can make informed decisions to reduce violence and crime.

I am concerned, however, that this "Commission" will simply attack the rights of gun owners in our state. New Jersey has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, and some legislators see gun ownership as a "privilege", instead of a "right" as recognized by our Constitution.

I feel that the "Commission" is largely under-representing gun owners in NJ, as it does not include any individuals from groups that represent the firearms community. Members of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs (ANJRPC) and the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society (NJ2AS) would be great candidates for the "Commission".

Without such representation, the "Commission" will be greatly biased against gun owners in this state.

I will not support this Bill, as it stands currently, nor will I support its proponents.

THANK YOU GUYS for participating. These newly proposed bills are a DIRECT threat to the rights protected by the Second Amendment. If you want to have the GREATEST impact, make sure that you contact all the member of the Senate Law & Public Safety Committee. I will ask Rich to post their emails. Now I know that everyone is terribly bust, and this next request is asking a LOT, but think about how important our RKBA really is - IF YOU CAN, please write a HAND-WRITTEN letter to at LEAST the committee Chairman. You have NO idea how SERIOUSLY they take those letters. The reason is that people RARELY take the time to do it and one hand-written letter is taken as if it represents 1000 people. This is not a myth.

Anyway, if you can - it will help tremendously.

Thank you,

THANK YOU GUYS for participating. These newly proposed bills are a DIRECT threat to the rights protected by the Second Amendment. If you want to have the GREATEST impact, make sure that you contact all the member of the Senate Law & Public Safety Committee. I will ask Rich to post their emails. Now I know that everyone is terribly bust, and this next request is asking a LOT, but think about how important our RKBA really is - IF YOU CAN, please write a HAND-WRITTEN letter to at LEAST the committee Chairman. You have NO idea how SERIOUSLY they take those letters. The reason is that people RARELY take the time to do it and one hand-written letter is taken as if it represents 1000 people. This is not a myth.

Anyway, if you can - it will help tremendously.

Thank you,

Post them up! No issue here writing many by hand either. Just got approval to take the 28th off on short notice.

My email:

Good day.

I will be brief out of respect for your hectic schedule.

The above proposal calls for members to be appointed by various areas of the government.

One group is specifically called out int he bill to have representation, that group being National United Youth Council INC.

Given that this proposal relates to gun violence, and one group is already called out to have a member in the committee, I ask that another group be included. I propose that either a member of the NJ2AS or the NRA be that member.

These are trying times and there is much clamor to do "something". I only hope that in the rush to reach that end, some level of logic, reason and fairness be included.

Thank you

Fast and reasonable response

Mr. Mills,

Thank you for your email regarding S2430. As you are aware, this

legislation would establish a nine-member commission to study "the

trends of violence, the source of violence, and the impact of violence

on the community." The memebers of this commission would be selected by

the Governor, the Senate President, and the Assembly Speaker. While the

bill requires that one member of the commission be a youth, and one be a

prosecutor, there are no other stipulations set forth in the bill that

would preclude the Governor, Senate President, or Assembly Speaker from

appointing a member of the NJ2AS and/or NRA.

Furthermore, the bill specifically requires that the Commission solicit

input from the public through one or more open public hearings. Should

the Commission appointees be lacking a member of the NJ2AS or NRA,

members of these and other advocacy groups would be welcomed to give

testimony at the public hearings.

Please note that this legislation was just introduced two weeks ago, and

has yet to move out of Senate or Assembly Committee. I strongly

recommend that, if and when these bills come before their respective

committees for consideration, you attend the committee meetings and

recommend that the bills be amended to require NJ2AS/NRA involvement. I

would also encourage you to contact the bill's primary sponsors, Senator

Ray Lesniak and Assemblyman Joe Cryan.

Once again, thank you for reaching out to me about this bill. If you

have any further questions or concerns about this or any other

legislation, please feel free to contact my office at (201) 714 4960.

Sincerely,

Ruben J. Ramos, Jr.

Assemblyman, 33rd Legislative District

Deputy Majority Whip

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2