va_bank

Should I follow up with local PD or just wait for the call?

As others indicate, yes, follow up. My town (in Morris County) took a handful of weeks. Extremely fast and responsive to my inquiries. I'd make the context something respectful though, as i've done previously via email. The key is to get the Detective's or other person assigned to handle your application name and email or direct line. Emails are very "non pain in the ass" way to ask if there's "anything else i can provide you, information or documentation-wise to complete the application process". when i went that route, i got responses very quickly such as "no....i've got everything i need, just waiting for chief to sign the permits" and things like that. sets your mind at ease for sure.

Definitely follow up. I also live in a smaller town in Morris County and stopped by the PD today just to make sure they got my reference letters. She told me that they still haven't received one and then called me 20 minutes later to tell me they just got it in the mail now all they have to do is their internal review.

At least following up will help you figure out where you're at especially if it's something like they haven't received the reference letters back yet.

Followed up 3 times since I started this topic. They said all my paperwork has been in for a while. 100+ days so far, no end in sight. "Soon" was the most detailed answer.. Will follow up one more time in a week. Then will make appt. with Chief. If not - mayor. Met the mayor before, cool guy. Hopefully so is the Chief.

I'm still currently waiting for the state Police to get the name check back to my Local PD -- Application sent end of Jan.-- Been a month now

references all had their letters within 5 days of application and sent them back the next day -- I trust the detective, he's a friend, when he says the state is holding it up...

I'm still currently waiting for the state Police to get the name check back to my Local PD -- Application sent end of Jan.-- Been a month now

references all had their letters within 5 days of application and sent them back the next day -- I trust the detective, he's a friend, when he says the state is holding it up...

When did your app go to the state? Mine was submitted middle of December and still nothing back from State.

When did your app go to the state? Mine was submitted middle of December and still nothing back from State.

I don't know, when I went there mid-January ALL my paperwork was already back. My problem is now they are just sitting on it - there is NOTHING left for them to do and they still manage not to do it.

i would definitely follow up (nicely). I gave my PD a friendly call just yesterday to check on the status of my FPID/P2P application that I submitted on 1/14.. The woman (very courteously) told me that they were waiting on my employment verification letter (I thought they were going to call, but apparently they send a letter) and were still waiting on the Mental Health check (which will be perfectly fine, as I have never visited any shrink, anywhere, ever). I was shocked about the employment verification though, as she told me they sent the letter on 2/6 and there it was, 2 weeks later and my HR person (whom I am friends with) told me that no letter has come across her desk.. I called the PD back, and asked the nice woman if she could fax it to my HR person instead of wasting money on a stamp (hey, every penny counts, right?) and she gladly did so.. My HR person filled it out and faxed it back within 15 minutes..

See, if i didnt call, i wouldnt have known that they were waiting on the employment verification, and it would have sat there for who knows how long.. Now I just have to wait for Monmouth County (apparently the county does the mental health checks) to get off their arses and send it back (it will be a very short search as there is nothing to find).. Once that is done, i shall have my ID & permits..

So, a nice, courteous follow up just to see where things stand is never a bad thing. Just my 2¢

I don't know, when I went there mid-January ALL my paperwork was already back. My problem is now they are just sitting on it - there is NOTHING left for them to do and they still manage not to do it.

&--#60;-- 4 months and 22 days this guy has been waiting.

I've been in the same dilemma so trust me when I say you are not ALONE! My background information

came back but I was told by the police captain that he was not signing off on permits because crimes, murders,

and thefts all take precedence over issuing gun permits.

Frustrated and desperate I contacted my assemblyman (Senator Diane Allen)® in my district(7) to assist on my

behalf as to why my permits and I.d. were being held up. A quick email/letter to the Senators office on wednesday yielded great results by friday.

She also mailed a nice letter to my residence yesterday ccing an inquiry email she sent to my municipality on the issue.

For better words, my assemblyman inquired on my behalf why my permits and i.d took so long.

I highly reccomend contacting your assemblyman, what's the worst that could happen?

Just got the call, they are in. Took just shy of 4 months. Overall, that's still 2 months faster than when I had to have my address changed four years ago. Maybe I should stop timing my applications around elections won by Democrat presidents.

They didn't ask me anything. My father wasn't asked for this either (Woodbridge). I think it depends on the town. I think NJ2AS doing some sort of compliance project where they get differenct towns to abandon any additional paperwork that's not required by state law. You should report your town.

I did see the compliance project, and just curious how employment has anything to do with the background check or has any bearing on a person being issued an FID? I see on other threads where folks are having problems with getting their ID's completed because their employer has not responded.

I strongly recommend that you call PD about paperwork status after five weeks of waiting to see if all is going well. I called today and found out that everything was approved last month but PD was waiting for to hear back from my employer for employment verification which my job never said they got. Once they get that I was told the detective processing the paperwork hands it to the chief for a signature and I get the call the next day.

I cant even reach my detective by phone... How do you guys and gals apply for handgun purchase permit? Fill out the form and drop it off @ PD or appointment is required? Question 2) Do 2 people references and mental health forms are required each time one purchases a new gun? And there is waiting period just to make that 2nd/3rd/etc purchase?

I filed on 1/29/13 . I waited to call today 3/14/13 .I asked how I was making out with the permits I was told they were just ready today.

I wonder if I would have called two weeks ago if I would have been told the same thing ? LOL

Does not really matter cause I cant find the gun I want anyway.(M&P Shield in 9mm) So I think I'm going to get stuck with the permits

or get stuck paying over MSRP. Yuck

After 30 days, I call once a week. I'm nice as pie. Please and thank you. If its not ready no complaints it's never been a problem. If I had a complaint it would t be to the woman on the phone. I'd call the chief or the mayor. She's just doing her job.

Often I will call and shed say, "oh, I just saw your name. It's ready. Come get it"

If I hadn't called, I'd have not gotten it as quickly. If you call and you're nice and gracious, you'll be remembered more than the other names in the stack.

IMHO.

I cant even reach my detective by phone... How do you guys and gals apply for handgun purchase permit? Fill out the form and drop it off @ PD or appointment is required? Question 2) Do 2 people references and mental health forms are required each time one purchases a new gun? And there is waiting period just to make that 2nd/3rd/etc purchase?

Not sure how your town works but in Ewing I need to make an appointment. Talked to my guy yesterday, earliest I could get to drop off paperwork was Apr 9th. Downside for me, sort of, my guy is retired and only works 2 days a week. Upside he's on the ball and the last time I got permits, it took 2 weeks. I expect a little longer this time though.

Its very simple verysimple. (sorry couldn't resist) Head to your local PD or state police barracks and ask for application for fire arms ID card, get fingerprinted and pay for license permits and fingerprinting when turning in paperwork. Then you sit back and pray and wait like the rest of us.

Why would I need to get fingerprinted again? I got my Firearm ID 3 months ago, did fingerprints in October 2012. Got my 1st purchase a month ago, now my 2nd purchase is waiting for me @ my FFL, thought I would just go to precinct, pay $2, get the form and bring it to FFL.. Sounds like its far from being that simple.. I really hope that since I did mental check and references very recently, I wouldnt have to go through all that again.. Can someone confirm the exact process?

Its very simple verysimple. (sorry couldn't resist) Head to your local PD or state police barracks and ask for application for fire arms ID card, get fingerprinted and pay for license permits and fingerprinting when turning in paperwork. Then you sit back and pray and wait like the rest of us.

Why would I need to get fingerprinted again? I got my Firearm ID 3 months ago, did fingerprints in October 2012. Got my 1st purchase a month ago, now my 2nd purchase is waiting for me @ my FFL, thought I would just go to precinct, pay $2, get the form and bring it to FFL.. Sounds like its far from being that simple.. I really hope that since I did mental check and references very recently, I wouldnt have to go through all that again.. Can someone confirm the exact process?

Sorry misunderstood your reply. I thought you were asking on how to get a license and permit. When you got you license, how many permits did you request? If only one then you have to go through the entire process over again except for the fingerprinting to get the second one. All the checks and references will need to done again. That is what I was told today by the woman doing my paperwork.

Thank You.. I order requested 1 and used it.

That's a lot of paperwork and waiting time... I should have asked for 3, extra $4 wasted wouldn't be nearly as painful as going through this process. I'd assume the handgun permit would still be given for only 90 days? aka maximum of 3 guns if one times it right (1 purchase per 30 days period)?

Sorry misunderstood your reply. I thought you were asking on how to get a license and permit. When you got you license, how many permits did you request? If only one then you have to go through the entire process over again except for the fingerprinting to get the second one. All the checks and references will need to done again. That is what I was told today by the woman doing my paperwork.

Has the OP received his permits yet?

In Stafford Twp Ocean County mine took from Jan 18 - Mar 14. I wrote the Chief of Police a polite email, I would call the Firearms Division about twice a week and I would walk in about once or twice a week. All officers were friendly I just wonder how quickly the detectives work through their load. One officer told me it took NJ State Police 11 days to report back to them, and I hand-jammed my reference papers AND employer paper so that was basically "same day". And yet the process still took 2 months, so minus the 11 days the State left them hanging, the town was working on it for a month and two weeks.

Apply polite pressure. This is YOUR paperwork that YOU are paying them to process.

I emailed the dept Chief and got back an email from the front desk guy that the detective handling my case has about 30 permits to work on. The very next day I got a call from Firearms Div saying they were ready. Feel free to contact the Chief, but work your way up the chain of command with emails and contact first. That way when he goes to the detective and says "hey so-and-so called me" there is a paper trail that shows you tried subordinate officers first.

Has the OP received his permits yet?

I did, on Feb 25th. Took just under 4 months. Followed up once after two months, discovered that both reference letter didn't make it into the file. Followed up again a month later and had permits within three weeks.