MarkWVU02

Homework for NJGFers

So I'll admit it. I grew up in a non-gun owning household. I had no knowledge of firearms other than what I saw on tv. Moving into college I didn't understand why people needed "assault rifles" and was pretty "liberal" when it came to gun control because I didn't know any better. That was until a friend found out I had never shot a gun. My buddy Alan immediately offered to take me shooting and show me the ropes. We went out one day and shot a bunch of firearms (the first thing I pulled the trigger in was a 10mm). Needless to say my opinion was forever changed. I was taught safety, respect, and most importantly that guns weren't evil. I now own several guns including the "evil" AR. I'm sure many of you are wondering what is my point here...

As a teacher I'm assigning you all a homework assignment. The next few weeks are going to be monumental when it comes to 2A rights as you all know. Your assignment is to take someone who has never shot before shooting. Try to pick someone on the fence and help sway their opinion. The more people whose mind we change the better. Please post your experiences here. I plan on taking my sister who is pretty anti-gun. She already agreed she'd go at least once.

Thanks for reading guys and good luck.

Mark this is the best idea I've heard in a while. I've been saying for ages now our long term plan is very simple, if we convert the masses by doing things like this we win. I've been a gun owner for a little more than a year now and I've taken 3 people for their first shoot, I'll take as many as I can over the next few weeks and post results here.

this is the ONLY homework that i actually Want to do. I have been taking as many friends as possible, I took 2 first timers last month. I promise to take 2 more within the next month. If its not too cold, I'm taking 2 females and I'm pretty sure they will complain on how cold it is.

My wife is interested in actually shooting now. It happened after i sent her the link about the lady in Texas that shot the guy 5 times while her and her kids were trying to get away in their attic. She doesn't want to be helpless if that happens here. There's nothing more determined than a mother protecting her children. I have been showing her pink Glocks on the internet, and this month's NRA mag has a woman shooting a pink zebra stripe AR. We'll go when we egt time and its not 99 degrees below zero. I'l get her staretd on her FPID and p2P for a pink glock after that :)

Got three who've never shot willing to come out and shoot, but to be honest all three have been interested in guns and nowhere near antigun. Got another four who might be willing but are more on the neutral side, yet willing and interested to try. There goes all my ammo.

Great Idea !!! I want to try and convince my mom into going..

My mom's in that list of willing people I've got. It's funny, I always had her pegged as one of those people who are like "We don't need dangeroes assault weapons!" but she suprised me back when the shooting happened last month. I hadn't said one word to her and the first thing she said to me was, "Look at all this crap on the news. These lunatics are still going to get guns and all they're going on about is gun control." I was floored!

My wife is interested in actually shooting now. It happened after i sent her the link about the lady in Texas that shot the guy 5 times while her and her kids were trying to get away in their attic. She doesn't want to be helpless if that happens here. There's nothing more determined than a mother protecting her children. I have been showing her pink Glocks on the internet, and this month's NRA mag has a woman shooting a pink zebra stripe AR. We'll go when we egt time and its not 99 degrees below zero. I'l get her staretd on her FPID and p2P for a pink glock after that :)

I got the gf to look at the zebra pink ar too. She shoots already but wants one.

see my problem is i have been doing this my whole life and now i do not know anyone who is an anti or has never shot a gun before. I was one of the very few people in my grade school,middle school and high school who was into shooting sports. over the years i have introduced many people to shooting. many of which have turned it into a passoin of their owne. 2 of the guys i taught turned out to be cops and 1 of them turned out to be marine infentry. I think this homework is a great idea but it should not be a one time thing. In my opinion every firearms owner should be promoteing firearms all the time

This approach worked with my mother-in-law. Was borderline rabidly anti-gun until I took her shooting. Now she can't wait to go again and sees that gun control doesn't work.

We win because shooting is fun. Dancing in the blood of children isn't most people's idea of a good time.

I love the idea, and I try to bring at least one person with me whenever I go. I've gotten my one friend to apply for his FID and 3 people who keep saying they will, but haven't. If we can change one person's mind and they change one person's mind. Then we will be better off.

Great idea Mark! Unfortunately, just about every single person I'm friends with are gun-friendly, lol. I'll make an effort to seek out someone who's on the fence or anti and take them out this weekend. I'll have to think about this for a while.

Where'd you go shooting in Morgantown?

Funny thing, I got an email from a co-worker last week. He's a Jehovah's Witness, a straight-laced guy.....kind of a nerd (I mean that in the nicest way). The subject of the email was "357". He wrote me to tell me was thinking about getting a lever action rifle, and asked my opinion about the 357, and what lever action rifle I'd suggest. I was completely floored. I never in my life imagined this guy touching a gun, let alone shooting one or even buying one.

We took fire roads out into the woods and found a secluded place with a natural berm to shoot into. That was the nice part. You didn't need to go to a range just had to be beyond a certain distance from houses. We were probably miles from the nearest house.

If I had to guess, you headed toward Coopers Rock, right?....probably in the University Forest. That's where I always went.

Side Note: LET'S GO MOUNTAINEERS! Lol.

That's one of the places we went haha. Been a rough year for the Mountaineers with the Big 12 move. Hopefully we recruit well because it's a lot different than dominating the big east haha. I miss WV...wish I never left.

I haven't shot a firearm since before getting discharged, not to mention the last three years has had me moving state to state.

Puts a dent in funds and time to get the paperwork sorted, so I don't own any firearms. Nor do I have the money right now to take someone to a firing range to fire some of their guns.

:( Homework failed.