leahcim

What are the options for getting an AR?

So I had been thinking about getting an AR--considering Stag model 8, but debating whether I should wait until I can flee PRNJ and not have to worry about complying with our stricter laws and "evil features."

Now that it is impossibe to find anything that is not backordered for months, I wonder if that was such a great idea. And not knowing the possible future gun laws/bans that might come down (I am optimistic, but wishing to hedge). What do people recommend? So far I find very little available online in 5.56. Is it worth getting on a waiting list when they are talking about one-year backorder, and good luck even finding a waiting list. Any local NJ shops likely to have anything available? Or might it be easier to start buying parts to build it myself? Or just wait for everything to blow over and hope for no significant changes in federal/NJ law?

Thanks!

You could always get an AK, but I'm optimistic that things will eventually blow over once we beat these bastards back into their holes, at which point the market might be flooded with ARs on the (relatively) cheap. If you REALLY want something now though, I'd say keep looking around or try putting up a WTB ad. There's a slim chance that you could find something for a non-insane price.

Finding parts online is just as hard as finding complete rifles in stock.

I'd always recommend building an AR, that way it comes out exactly how you want it the first time. I bought two complete ARs and ended up changing a bunch of parts and wasting money.

Get yourself a lower, and figure out what lower parts kit you want, do you want a good Gieselle trigger? No reason to buy a junk trigger and replace it with quality a week later. Then pick a stock.

You can wait until you move to buy an upper so you don't have to butcher it.

Honestly, I don't see PRNJ that bad compared to the other members. As I was originally from NYC, NJ is worlds apart. Yes, NJ has some limitations of evil features and mag restrictions, but being able to even own one is awesome in my book. Lately I've been feeling the clinch of NJ when I see what's available in PA.

I purchased mine during the election period and thought it was ridiculous at that time. I wanted a specific make and model and passed on a whole bunch of in stock ARs to finally get exactly what I wanted. Waited a month and a half to get it in my hands too. Today, I can't even find parts to build my second one. Everyone is hopeful nothing will pass, yet everyone is also hoarding and stock piling for the worst. So if nothing is going to change, why buy everything off the shelves if it should be there tomorrow.

The problem is, no one knows what's going to happen tomorrow which leads you to your dilemma. Buy now or wait. My answer to you is this. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. Buy it, build it, do whatever your budget can afford to get it. Don't worry about the evil feature restrictions. If you eventually move somewhere else with less restrictions, change up the parts to get it back to its original non-neutered glory. Your decision should not be based on a monetary investment but rather an investment to your lifestyle.

Have I just corrupted your mind? :)

If you know what you want and want something specific, put yourself on a waiting list and hurry up and wait. If you're afraid of what possible laws/bans might or might not come into play in the near future, start building a rifle now. Parts are scarce but not impossible to find if you know where to look. I finished building my second AR back in December, and I'm almost finished building my next two. Waiting for two LPK's which have been ordered and looking for some BCG's to come back in stock somewhere. I'm sure you'll be able to build an AR (maybe not with the top notch quality parts you may want) sooner than waiting for a complete AR to come up from being back ordered.

Get a lower, there has been a good amoutn popping up, even the polly ones that were listed over here the other day will do. Complete uppers are turning up, Rguns has a good amount still in stock, It will take about 5-6 weeks to get but patients will pay off. The hardest part is the damn LPK I Have everything but a lpk. I ordered one from stag about 3 weeks ago they showed in stock and I havent gotten anything yet so it's holding me up. Im good for now but want this completed before the Hi power comp season starts.

Do what I'm doin and build one. I was trying to wait until I moved to buy one too, but decided if I possibly couldn't get one in the future then I would at least have a neutered one. I picked up my lower at the beginning of the month and found a LPK already. I bought a receiver extension from a fellow forum member. I just have to buy a stock, spring and buffer and some other parts that I have found just haven't bought yet and I'll be good to go with the lower. I've already picked out the upper I want and have to play the waiting game like everyone else...it sucks but honestly it gives me more time to research and makes me personally more into the build because I want to finish it more.

So I had been thinking about getting an AR--considering Stag model 8, but debating whether I should wait until I can flee PRNJ and not have to worry about complying with our stricter laws and "evil features."

Now that it is impossibe to find anything that is not backordered for months, I wonder if that was such a great idea. And not knowing the possible future gun laws/bans that might come down (I am optimistic, but wishing to hedge). What do people recommend? So far I find very little available online in 5.56. Is it worth getting on a waiting list when they are talking about one-year backorder, and good luck even finding a waiting list. Any local NJ shops likely to have anything available? Or might it be easier to start buying parts to build it myself? Or just wait for everything to blow over and hope for no significant changes in federal/NJ law?

Thanks!

Hagues in West Deptford is taking orders for Windham Weaponry SRC ar15s. Supposedly they just had some and are getting a bunch more in the following months, but they're priced at 1200... msrp is 1050 or something like that.

The way things look, if I were you Id wait till I left the PRNJ.

In PA, I can and have 6 position stock, Magpul verticle grip, 30rd PAG and Promags, open carry, CCW. AND my LGS just became a Class 3 FFL (great timing right LOL). Im saving up towards a can :D, then the paperwork etc.

"You got a friend in Pennsylvania" :D

Unless you must buy one.....just wait... prices should be lower, Should being operative word as long as no ban passes.

If you can find a polymer lower... get one. that is your insurance ticket. They are great lowers.

Otherwise the current difference between PA and NJ is essentially the telescoping stock and mags. All of my guns would have a muzzle break/compensator over a flash hider. So all you would need when you move is unpin the stock if you must, and get standard capacity mags.

Daniels defense rifles are on a two month back order but their prices haven't changed. Might be worth it to order right from them.

I don't know where you heard that but right now, a new order placed direct with Daniel Defense won't ship until February or March of 2014.