Barms

does your other thumb touch the slide?

i've been to two classes.. and from all the videos i've watched of the pros.. for a right handed shooter their left thumb looks like it is touching the slide. I know that getting more left hand on the weapon helps with stability.. but i just cant find a comfortable grip with my left hand "way up" on that slide. And doesnt the thumb impede the action of the slide?

Part of me wants to just stay with what's comfortable.. but what i learned many moons ago when i started playing golf.. doing what's comfortable isn't always the best thing if you want to get really good at something.

the pros have their left hand/thumb way up there (as opposed to the way i just "cup" my left hang around my right hand). my laft hand actually doesnt even touch any part of the pistol.. its just "supporting" my right hand. i know its wrong.. i just cant stop doing it that way.

please elaborate "thumbs stacked" i'm picturing a dozen different things..

Index finger pointed at the threat? you're telling me your weak hand index finger is pointed DOWNRANGE? its not "cupping" your strong hand?

what do you think about this guy's weak hand?

I shot with a GM once and he told me just to ride the thumb along the slide for consistency.

As long as you're not pressing on it it won't affect your shot and it won't hurt your thumb.

I shoot a Beretta 92 FS and have to keep my strong side thumb off the slide or I risk having it on the slide release and thus the slide won't lock back on last round. When I grip I try to put it on the first joint of my weak hand thumb. My weak side thumb rides the slide and is pointed at the target.

Blksheep: "Strong index finger pointed at the threat. Strong thumb stacked on top of support thumb"

I must be retarded.. if you're STRONG index finger is pointing at the threat HOW DO YOU PULL THE TRIGGER?? How can you pull the trigger if you are pointing it?

i'm sorry.. i gotta be retarded for not understanding what you are writing..

(i will do any further questions in PM so i stop embaressing myself..)

No worries...when you are pointing the weapon at the threat you dont put your finger on the trigger until u are ready to shoot.

That being said....when you initially point the weapon at the threat if your strong index finger is on the frame you naturally point your finger at the threat. Then get your sights then pull the trigger.

Or you can index shoot which is another topic.

The following is a tip from Matt Burkett:

Most basic shooting problems come from an improper grip (this includes tension and hand placement) and incorrect upper body position.

The basics: Keep the head up and straight - not canted to the gun. Shoulders square. The arms bent. Hands together. Trigger finger free for movement.

Place the strong hand on the grip as high as possible, both front and rear. The strong hand thumb should always be on the safety. (when shooting weak hand the thumb should also always ride the safety) I relieve the bottom rear of the trigger guard on my guns to put my right hand at a more natural angle and reduce the pressure on the joint of the middle finger.

The trigger finger should not touch or rub on the gun anywhere other than the trigger. The pad of the finger should be used - not the first joint. This will provide better trigger control.

The placement of the weak hand in a freestyle grip is where most people make mistakes. First the fingers should all be under the trigger guard. Your weak hand index finger should never be on the front of the trigger guard. Second, there should be total hand to hand contact at the left rear of the gun. (this is based on being right handed) The left hand should not sit straight forward on the gun. It should be canted at an angle with the back of the hand being higher on the gun than the front. If you trace you thumb on your left hand back past the knuckle to the base by the wrist, this should be in between the first joint and the knuckle of the right thumb. This is going to cock the left hand at an angle and complete the contact between both hands. This also serves another purpose of bringing different arm muscles in on controlling the gun. You should feel the muscles on the top of the left arm by the elbow doing the work. If the hand is straight you will feel the strain on the bottom of the arm.

Both thumbs should be pointing at the target and your arms should be pushing out in a positive tension against the gun. Several schools teach a push/pull technique. Why should you pull on the gun when it is already going that way during recoil? Also be sure not to lock the arms out. This transfers all of the guns energy into your shoulders also does not allow you to work on the recoil of the gun.

The left arm should be more straight than the right arm, which is probably the opposite that you've been told. (If your shoulders are relaxed, not hunched up, and you are standing square to the target, your left hand has to be further out than the right hand - unless your built funny.)

Grip tension should be about 60% weak hand and 40% strong hand. Do not strangle the gun. More tension in the shooting hand = less trigger speed. If you have a proper grip you will be surprised at how little work you have to do to control the gun.

This grip may feel uncomfortable at first. Try it out for a couple of weeks and I bet you will see a difference.

Until next time DVC!!

Matt Burkett

Is there any issue with riding the safety on a 1911 with your thumb?

My right thumb tends to ride the saftey on my 1911... Doesn't hurt anything there... But if and when I shoot a springfield XD it stops the slide from locking back after the last round.. Found with my G19 it doesn't affect it the same.. Guess it all comes down to the gun..

I'd stick with what is comfortable for you as long as it isn't way different. Were Palmer, Nicholas and Player textbook? Furyk?

This is the correct answer. The high thumb style of grip has become popular in the past 10 years or so. I still shoot with my weak thumb locking down my strong thumb. The webbing of my strong thumb is offset a little to the right on large grip guns to compensate for my short fingers. According to "the book" I put too much finger through the trigger.

But I shoot well.

I've always been of the notion if its safe and it works for you do it.