Sign in to follow this  
nuclearheli

NJNICS New FFL issue

As of this past Friday I have received my State Retail License and have my FFL. Putting everything in place to start business I attempted to make my first transfer yesterday. I am registered with the State Police for NICS and have my NICS packet from them. I attempted to fax the form to them only to find out that nobody I can find supports calling 900 numbers any longer. An exhaustive search of the interenet, calls to phone carriers and on-line fax providers, complaints to my Verizon support personnel and visits to neighbors with other services have proven fruitless. Can't call NICS of course being the weekend. Verizon land line service announced on in December it would no longer support billing for 900 numbers.

Does anyone have an idea how to send a fax to a 900 number? After all the work and effort to finally get everything in place to get stuck on a fax number is just plain stupid. If we were part of the federal NICS program and not a POC state I could contact NICS directly over the internet, simple and free which our tax dollars paid for. They should rename the state program to a POS program.

There are internet companies that will fax stuff via their networks. But I don't know if and how they'd handle a 900 number. I'd like to believe NICS would know about this dilemma and give alternate means...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Welcome.

The phone number was changed on 1/1/13 to (877) 743-3000, however, you will not get through yet. You must fax your request to (877) 442-5000. BUT, you must first set up your account with Champion Communications to use the service by calling (561) 272-5667.

I personally think the bigger question should be asked: why does this State still have to be the middleman? Many convenient options for FFLs when using the Federal system directly!

My understanding is that the Feds will purge a Nics after result. NJ saves everything.

I personally think the bigger question should be asked: why does this State still have to be the middleman? Many convenient options for FFLs when using the Federal system directly!

It's all about the MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!

Let's calculate how much they made just this past month..

If national NICS charged 16 bucks, they would be at 44.5 million for the month of December.