NorthJersey

Urgent: Opinions on 597 purchase

even then the 10/22 has the largest aftermarket parts market for 22lr's. you will always find parts and upgrades for them. i bought mine and did trigger and hammer upgrade, bolt upgrade, extractor upgrade, mag release upgrade. it becomes fun to keep adding new things to it.

Now that you've convinced me that I can find a 10/22 for a good price, does anyone know of a Charger model that comes in under 50 oz? I noticed a description that says 56 oz, which is darned close. A model with a lighter barrel, perhaps?

On a different note, I was watching an auction for a 597, so the urgency has passed. How does one edit a thread title?

Dude I LOVE my 597- I really Really REALLY Love it. And I am much happier, no need for a 10/22 for me (I don't feel the need to justify myself but I am happier with my 597 and won't do a 10/22).

There are two mods that are extremely good for the 597- both made by the best rimfire and one of the best overall rifle companies in the business.- Volquartsen ... one is their "Exact Edge" Extractor - was $20 bucks when I bought in Dec 2010, the other is their Volquartsen "Target" Hammer, was $40 in Dec 2010.

The Extractor is essential. The achillies heel of the 597 is the extraction issues and their extractor sucks. The Volquartsen extractor makes the rifle 101% PERFECT RELIABLE. - mean it became PERFECT, I cannot express its utter awesomeness. The target hammer reduces trigger pull weight by over 50% and increases not only reliability and function but accuracy because of the increased 'smoothness' and reduced effort on the firing 'squeeze'. These two parts make A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE, and I cannot stress that enough.

Now some people choose not to do this, or claim theirs works enough without it. Now I felt like I did do it, AND IT MADE SUCH A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE, my 597 is now my go to .22LR.

If I could go hback and buy a heavy barrel version I probably would have, but it was my first long gun purchase and I did not know about them or the difference etc. Maybe someday I might buy a volquartsen barrel for it anyway.

BUT- I downright love my 597 and am so happy I did it and did some upgrades. When I factor in the Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm, the bipod, my custom "Scrappy-flauge' paint job lol , I love my 597. give it a little TLC and it will give you some back.

i have a 597 and its a great accurate gun but not many mods, call Dicks they normally have these in stock for around 230$ with a scope

Thanks for the info. Was that $230 for the threaded bull barrel version?

Actually paid $220 with scope last week but it's not the heavy barrel.

Dude I LOVE my 597- I really Really REALLY Love it. And I am much happier, no need for a 10/22 for me (I don't feel the need to justify myself but I am happier with my 597 and won't do a 10/22).

There are two mods that are extremely good for the 597- both made by the best rimfire and one of the best overall rifle companies in the business.- Volquartsen ... one is their "Exact Edge" Extractor - was $20 bucks when I bought in Dec 2010, the other is their Volquartsen "Target" Hammer, was $40 in Dec 2010.

The Extractor is essential. The achillies heel of the 597 is the extraction issues and their extractor sucks. The Volquartsen extractor makes the rifle 101% PERFECT RELIABLE. - mean it became PERFECT, I cannot express its utter awesomeness. The target hammer reduces trigger pull weight by over 50% and increases not only reliability and function but accuracy because of the increased 'smoothness' and reduced effort on the firing 'squeeze'. These two parts make A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE, and I cannot stress that enough.

Now some people choose not to do this, or claim theirs works enough without it. Now I felt like I did do it, AND IT MADE SUCH A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE, my 597 is now my go to .22LR.

If I could go hback and buy a heavy barrel version I probably would have, but it was my first long gun purchase and I did not know about them or the difference etc. Maybe someday I might buy a volquartsen barrel for it anyway.

BUT- I downright love my 597 and am so happy I did it and did some upgrades. When I factor in the Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm, the bipod, my custom "Scrappy-flauge' paint job lol , I love my 597. give it a little TLC and it will give you some back.

You guys are making this a tough decision. I like the price of the 597. I have experience with the 10-22. I guess if I find mods I want to make beyond what's available for the 597, I'll probably just buy another rifle.

I actually bought a 597 in .17 HMR for my dad to make up for losing the bolt to his varmint rifle (Remington 788 in .223-- I found the bolt later). He's still afraid to shoot it because he hasn't yet taken it in to the gunsmith to address the recall issue.

I added a bipod to my otherwise stock 597, about 300 rounds through it, no issues to this point. I did order the VQ Hammer and Extractor today, the hammer because I'm not a fan of the stock trigger and the extractor just in case, though I don't have a need for it at this point. I'm a new shooter, still getting the hang of it, but even with the Remington scope from the "combo" it shoots well and seems to be pretty accurate.

photo_zps904fbfd0.jpg

I have a 597. I am very impressed with the out of the box accuracy. I had a lot of stove pipe jams with it when I first bought it. I installed a Volq extractor and it has been flawless ever since. It even eats up the cheap dirty remington golden bullet. I cant believe they cost over $200 bucks now. I paid like $140 a few years back and that was with the bull barrel.

I added a bipod to my otherwise stock 597, about 300 rounds through it, no issues to this point. I did order the VQ Hammer and Extractor today, the hammer because I'm not a fan of the stock trigger and the extractor just in case, though I don't have a need for it at this point. I'm a new shooter, still getting the hang of it, but even with the Remington scope from the "combo" it shoots well and seems to be pretty accurate.

photo_zps904fbfd0.jpg

Very well put sir I wanted to post my thanks/agreement.

I will fully admit that I had some problems with mine out of the box. I knew I was buying what I liked/wanted rather than what the salesperson (kid) and a lot of forum members (I didn't use this forum for the first long time when I joined the internet firearms community, I used an extremely popular other site) were telling me- 10/22 all day long. I did not want what everyone had.

I was buying my first ever long gun, no experience with .22 really, etc, and I had some problems with extraction issues. I also was using Remington Golden Bullet ammo, SUCKED. Then he told me to switch to Thunderbolts, equally sucky but more expensive. So the rifle had disappointed me. 2 weeks later I bought a very beautiful, extremely-fun-to-use-bolt-action, and extremely SO REDONKULOUSLY Cheap brand new Savage Mark II, I didn't need the Remington . 3 weeks after that, I bought a 15-22, and the 597 sat in the closet.

I decided to do something about it after my spinal surgery in late 2010 had a little bit of money and a lot of time- so I needed to replace the extractor, I did the hammer because, well why not? I also agree with what someone posted, the "combo scope" was really just fine for an indoor 25 yd. range but I went big with a Nikon ProStaff 4-12x40mm, and I could not be happier. Now my 597 really is an amazing rifle, I am happy... added a not-expensive Winchester Walmart bipod, had the gunsmith give me some studs and swivels and a simple 'silent sling' etc.

SOMEDAY I might add a Volquartsen $200-$500 barrel... someday,. That would require major committment (and of course gunsmith installation.. probably would need a new stock) but hey... Go Big or Go Home!!

It seems that when I purchased a 597, I got a lemon. Remington's recent QC has been reported as being very poor, and I can vouch for that. This was the first rifle that I bought after getting my FID, about 6 years ago. It was on sale at Dick's and it looked nice, much nicer finish than the 10-22 that sat next to it. It came home with me and I was excited to take it out shooting. No problems with it as far as functionality, and it was even rather accurate, even with a nOOb shooting it. It wasn't until I got it home and took it apart to clean that I had issues. Pieces began falling off as I disassembled the rifle. Most notably the lever that the magazine follower pushes against to hold the bolt open after the last shot. It was manufactured so shoddily that It had to be completely re-engineered to hold together and not fall apart again and function properly. That rifle soured me greatly and I traded it for a Savage.

RobertJames I agree that the quality control with Remington suffered- it was a whole from FreedomGroup. I talked to a longtime Bushmaster builder aka "gunsmith" who worked for Bushmaster in New England when they were BUSHMASTER the AR-15 experts, and then as a 'builder' aka assembler for them when FreedomGroup took over. I could type a million stories but what it came down to was, they switched from comprehensive quality control testing to "BATCH TESTING" which meant, they would select a random dude, test one of his rifles, and say okay the batch of 10, 20, 50, 100 he just built are all good. NOW ASIDE FROM THE FACT they all could have random, unrelated mistakes here and there, what was happening was they found HUGE AMOUNTS of rifles with all the same errors, like the one guy was not installing a particular part, the night shift guy was forgetting to parkerize a particular part or applying an entire finish on stuff, or the one kid who was having girl troubles and turned to booze and drugs was just literally not doing a large amount of the required assembly work, resulting in HUGE AMOUNTS of "Bad Bushmasters" being out there.

I would imagine Remington went to the same 'Batch testing' quality control standards not to mention extreme cost cutting on parts, material, installation, etc to save money, resulting in problems. Guys like me that always loved Remington, I am still happy to have their stuff and love my new Remington trifecta of the 700, 870, and 597. But other people just give up.