chumo00

new NICS system

Are the people doing these checks at all involved with the intial FID application process? I am trying to understand why it went from 10 or 15 minutes to 3-5 or even up to 10 days. I realize there have been a record amount of purchases lately. But where there really so many more that it would have such a drastic effect? It seems like the amount of time it takes for the checks to be done has increased exponentially.

Are the people doing these checks at all involved with the intial FID application process? I am trying to understand why it went from 10 or 15 minutes to 3-5 or even up to 10 days. I realize there have been a record amount of purchases lately. But where there really so many more that it would have such a drastic effect? It seems like the amount of time it takes for the checks to be done has increased exponentially.

No, NICS, by federal law, is to be used exclusively for firearms checks (which really FUBAR's the NY SAFE act that calls for background checks on ammo purchasers). And yes, sales have increased exponentially, ergo, so have NICS checks - and since ours ia a POC state, there is limited manpower to throw at the problem. So once again, it's the peons that suffer. Could be worse - we could be out of ammo and live in NY.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Purchased a pistol 2 weeks ago. They told me NICS was backed up 48-72 hours. Took 7 days. I have heard from ShoreShot that the State Police were misplacing people's paperwork (very few people, but it's happening). If it has been 7 days already, I would call you FFL and ask them to look into it.

I kept telling my mom to buy stock in gun companies. She kept refusing.

I'm surprised they're "Misplacing" records this frequently. I wonder if they're trying to slow down purchase rates.

Either that, or people should start calling politicians to complain about this. Might help them realize how stupid our system is.

You think I should ask dealer to resend? This seems like it never went through.

Yes the dealer has a number to call and check before re-faxing. They probably never received it. Running 48 hours for call backs.