Like probably most of the members, I have home defense weapons readily available to my wife and myself if needed. All the weapons were purchased correctly in accordance with the current NJ statutes.

A friend recently received his FID and permits to purchase two pistols, which he accomplished. He then went back to get additional purchase permits and had his wife accompany him to obtain an FID.

His reason was that he "Wanted to cover all bases." My question is, since all of the statutes seem to be geared to purchases only, is there any reason that I should have my wife apply for a FID?

It should be noted that she would not transport a firearm out of the house without me being present.

I had my wife get hers it's good to have and if she is out and see's ammo on sale she can now pick it up

+1 to that, also she can place seperate orders online when there is a 1 case limit with vendors like AIM who require foid card on file. If we werent moving over the boarder to PA in a few months I would have my wife getting her's. But legally I do not believe she needs to have one to defend herself in her own home with legally owed pistols that you purchased. Now if she wants to get lessons the instructors may require that. I highly recomend getting practicle safty and defense lessons to anyone.

It does make it easier if she wants to transport your long arms in NJ. You just have COE's filled out for each of you (the originals in your name and new ones transferring them to her) and she keeps hers with her and you keep yours with you. Thus they belong to whomever has them at the moment.

UPDATE: Talked to my friend again this morning. He tells me that sources that he considers reputable have told him that if his wife were to use a home defense weapon in his absence, in their home, that she could be charged with unlawful possession and use of a firearm. Sounds a little crazy to me. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Talked to my friend again this morning. He tells me that sources that he considers reputable have told him that if his wife were to use a home defense weapon in his absence, in their home, that she could be charged with unlawful possession and use of a firearm. Sounds a little crazy to me. Thoughts?

Your wife needs to be alive to be charged with anything.

There is no law that prohibits you or your wife from possessing ANY firearm in your own home.

What your friend said isn't true. Whether or not it is a legal use of force under the circumstances remains to be seen. But it is true. If she's dead, she will avoid prosecution.

Many reasons for her to get one, even if she chooses never to use it. If something were to you, her having an FID card would be a very good idea. Second, she should opt to have her own self-defense weapons (if she so chooses). Additionally, they are going to be more expensive and harder to get. Lastly, it is a good idea to show the numbers of people increasing in firearms ownership, and supporting the Second Amendment.

I didn't mean to imply that she doesn't have her "own" weapon, it just happens that I bought it.

Years ago, when I got back into shooting, I took her to the range, started her off with Ruger Mark II and moved her up to a Sig 220 in .380, which is now "hers". She has a good eye and was grouping as good as I was by the end of our first session. My "go to" gun is a Glock 19, which she can handle if she needs to, but she is much more comfortable with "hers".

Illegal transfer is what it would be called by the letter of the law from how I read it. Now are you going to surrender yourself now if you have ever done it.

Want to be in the letter of the law, go to a range if you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong but the very first letter of the law is that NOTHING in the subsection is meant to prohibit you from possessing, carrying ANY firearm in your own home. She cannot be charged with illegal posession in her home. The law reads clear to me. In a HD shoot, you are not prohibited from possessing any firearm. Mine yours my uncles or event the perp (if you are able to gain control)

The question of whether the use of force is justified under self defense of life or the life of others is a different issue. But posession?

It does make it easier if she wants to transport your long arms in NJ. You just have COE's filled out for each of you (the originals in your name and new ones transferring them to her) and she keeps hers with her and you keep yours with you. Thus they belong to whomever has them at the moment.

Damn this is a great idea. Never thought of this but now I may do it!

His reason was that he "Wanted to cover all bases." My question is, since all of the statutes seem to be geared to purchases only, is there any reason that I should have my wife apply for a FID?

If she wants to use it for HD while you aren't home, and god forbid needs to one day... have her get the fid to be safe... she could definitely be charged

Correct me if I'm wrong BUT you don't need a FID to own a firearm in NJ as long as u aren't a prohibited person. If my "uncle" willed me his gun collection I wouldn't need a FID. Why would this be any different? I was always told the FID is for purchase only.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the very first letter of the law is that NOTHING in the subsection is meant to prohibit you from possessing, carrying ANY firearm in your own home. She cannot be charged with illegal posession in her home.

gold star for you...

that is my read on it as well....

think about this.... you get into a struggle with an intruder... get the (stolen illegal) gun from him and grab it, and defend yourself.... will you be charged?

NOPE..

why?

because there is a catch all in the law to cover your handling of any gun in your home..

Thank you LUNKER. Simple brilliant solution.

I bet the 'officials' don't realize this. And I am not worried that they read these posts. After all, they are stupid and cannot read! LOL.

The abilility to read is seperate than the ability to interpret and process the information. They can easily read this entire forum and understand the words we speak. They cannot, or more likely will not understand or respect the context laid out by what we speak.

Your wife needs to be alive to be charged with anything.

Has to be the stupidest thing ever if my wife is charged with using one of my firearms to save my family if I'm not home. I guess I'd ask the judge if he'd be happier with my law abiding family all dead by a perp than alive because they protected themselves against a criminal.

Yea. I think its a 4 pointer. Last time I pulled mine out, girl says " ohh, you got one of those.. " and that was it..lol

Molon Labe

All I could read in the tapatalk preview was-

" Last time I pulled mine out, girl says ohh"

I thought this thread took a crazy turn!

Coincidentally, the last trip I took to DMV, the girl in front of me dropped her vibrator on the floor whilst looking for some documents..

It was awesome

Rolled on the floor into the heel of the person in front of her

I was like "that's a BIG lipstick, Ohhhhhhhhhh"