TooBigToFit

Are there any FFLs that will hold a firearm while you wait for your FID/P2Ps?

So I turned 21 Sunday. Went to a range and shot a handgun for the first time, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Found that I shot best with the USP 9mm, though the M&P9 came to a close second.

I'll be handing in my paperwork tomorrow, since Edison only takes it Wednesday through Friday (tried the day after my birthday to no avail). I'm expecting a long wait, with the whole political climate and overall rush to buy stuff. Are there any FFLs that will hold a transferred firearm while you wait for your FID and P2Ps? I stumble upon good deals on used USPs from time to time, and I'd hate to lose out on savings just because NJ's FID system moves at a snail's pace.

Or is the whole thing not possible or advisable, legally or practically?

We will hold a transfer as long as you need to straighten out your paperwork. We have no defined maximum amount of time, since its a transfer it is not our money tied up in the gun so it doesnt really matter. We have never had an issue with having guns overflowing in the safes or anything

If you find an FFL who won't, find another FFL-period

In a messed up state like NJ this is not an off the wall request!

this. even the places that are more up-tight like sportsmans rendezvous in flemington will hold stuff for you. and they wont even let you handle pistols unless you have a permit in hand.

Make sure you know the policies. Apparently there are some up here in Northern NJ that will charge you a monthly or weekly fee to keep your gun. Perhaps they don't have the room, or perhaps some people have severely abused them with unreasonable time lengths, or they are overwhelmed with the number of additional guns being held for others, etc. However, in general, to my thinking these FFLs work within the challenging NJ environment and should have much better customer service, especially with their repeat customers. Still, there should be an agreement in place as to when you will pickup, etc., what your responsibilities will be, etc. and what will happen if you are not able to pickup, etc. And, if you are taking advantage of the FFL you should be charged. As with many things, some people ruin it for everyone, and I imagine that some FFLs have been burned before by their customers. But, there are also FFLs that will attempt to abuse their customers as well.

One in particular was actually selling the gun on Gunbroker and would not hold it free of charge without an additional $10 weekly fee of 3-4 weeks due to OGAM restrictions, and the FFL charges, etc. were more than others locally. This additional storage fee would have tacked on at least $40 more dollars on the item already sitting in his safe. In another example, the new firearms are clearly labeled with a price, and then when you go to pay you are charged an additionally shipping charge of $25.00, and which I think you are also taxed on. To me, these two things are unacceptable. Either the FFL is that hard up and nickels and dimes for everything, or the dealer feels he doesn't need my business. And, if the business is hurting, then it might very well be because these practices are foolish and lead to a lot of lost business.

here is the problem.... some people will abuse the policy. There are no issues if someone holds a permit for you while you wait.... but it is a bit fu'ish if you have an FFL hold a gun for you for 6 months or more... especially if it is a rifle. However, if you paid for the item in full.... I do not see any issues. If you pre pay a deposit or what not, then talk to the FFL.