John Boy

Looking for Gunsmith to Clean + Repair Sandy Storm Firearms

Looking for a gunsmith that deep cleans, re-blues and does mechanical repairs in the NJ area ...

All of my long arms stored muzzle down were under 36" of water from Super Storm Sandy. Verified with the gun insurance company that re-bluing is covered under the policy and so is deep cleaning of the mud/sand out from inside the actions. The bluing needed is to repair the many blotches on barrels and action where the salt in the mud and sand removed the bluing. None of the guns are rusted because I oiled them immediately with a mix of fogging oil and Eezox

Thanks for any good leads

Ed's in Deptford and Winters in Atco but they are probably at least an hour and a half from you. I saw South Jersey by your name but you aren't South South Jersey. Are you one off those North Jersey people that considers yourself South Jersey because North Jersey people are weird? :p you can be honest, nobody is judging. (Openly)

sent from my Samsung Note 2

I'd say if it was me, any guns that were in salt water are junk and should be considered totaled by the insurance company. Salt water isn't any joke and even though you cleaned them, we're they completely stripped down and every piece of metal soaked in oil and then cleaned. Even with that, I would still question there reliability to be safe to shoot, and even if they are good now, what will they be like over time. Cleaning is nice on the surface, but a deep oil soaking for a while than a cleaning and I'd still have it in the back of my mind that their life will be a lot shorter overall. When they fail, well that's not the gamble I'd want to take. Just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you one off those North Jersey people that considers yourself South Jersey because North Jersey people are weird?
Didn't deem it important to change South Jersey when we moved to our new home. We moved from MP 25 on the GSP in Cape May County in June 2012 to Lavallette.

How long were they subjected to the mess? that will determine alot.

I doubt the they will be damaged beyond repair, unless they are crazy old 100+ yrs. salt water is bad but not super corrosive as most people think.

perfect example is all the cars on the road it takes years to be ruined by salt and guns are usually made with much better steel than a cars frame. Dont discount the manufacturers of the guns ruger, S&W, colt all have refinishing/ gunsmith services.

I would start with the manufacturers first.

Scatterbrains: All the firearms were stored muzzle down in the safes as they are supposed to be stored. The barrels were under water less than a day. I put all on the work bench and then brought them to the 1st floor and washed all with a mix of fogging oil and Eezox immediately. Then on a daily basis cleaned the mud and sand off and re-oiled. All bores were brass brushed, patched and lubed with Eezox, a highly rated rust preventative - cleaner and lubricator.

Here's a test that I did of Eezox back in 2008 and in my mind and others that are now using it, is the best rust preventative on the market ... http://www.theopenra...hp?topic=5457.0

I am a BPCR single shot shooter and the majority are single shots, plus SxS shotguns, plus uniques like a 1905 fully engraved 9.5x47R Schuetzen rifle - most of them prior to the '20's and going back to the 1870's. Accordingly, they are not modern firearms that I can send to current manufacturers. Even my 1881 JM Ballard with a cast iron action developed no rust with the oil mix wipe down. Now all need to have the wood removed and a deep cleaning of the insides, plus blued where the salt blotched and removed the bluing.

I have a substantial firearms insurance policy that will fully cover the re-blue, deep cleaning and 7 guns that might need some minor mechanical repairs