Sign in to follow this  
MartyZ

Shipping pistol to Manufacturer for service

I have an S&W 686 (.357 mag) with a 2.5" inch barrel. I contacted S&W and got a quote for a 6" barrel of $145.37 for the barrel and approx. $90 for labor. This is a pretty good deal, however I am a little hesitant shipping the gun to S&W myself out of NJ not being familiar with NJ law regarding this specific topic. Has anyone done this? Should I have my FFL ship it just to be safe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dropped my S&W off at a fedex store. You just have to declare it. The only other catch is that you must sign for it on delivery so I actually had it shipped to the hub and I spicked it up from there. It was really easy and they were very good with providing tracking info on the way back.

Thanks for all your help, I really do appreciate it. The other question is, should I go with the 6" barrel or the 4" barrel?

For what do you intend to use it? Some competitive games limit revolver barrel length to 4" (IDPA). Since the 686 has a full underlug, you may find the 6" to be too muzzle heavy, although some prefer this. You should maybe go to a range that rents and try the configurations under consideration before shipping off your gun.

With regard to shipping - I believe that those that say they shipped through a common carrier store got lucky with people that don't know FedEx's/UPS's rules. The shippers require that they go to a hub to ship. Guns must be declared and shipped overnight. Round trip, this can add as much as $100 - so you have to figure that into the cost of your modification. You may find it cheaper to have an FFL ship the gun via USPS - they can do that, you can't. Often times, even with the FFL's service fee added, it is still cheaper than shipping it next day air yourself.

A third consideration is just to have the barrel changed locally at a gunsmith to which you can drive and hand deliver the gun. Save you that big shipping tab altogether.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I wanted to have the work done at a local gunsmith, but everyone i've called doesn't do this type of work. The only place were I didn't get a NO from is heritage guild, and that's only because they haven't returned my call yet. I will try calling them again. I would much rather have it done locally.

Ok, I just called heritage guild back and they want $90 for the labor and I found the 4" barrel on midwayusa for $106.99 and 6" for $121.99 but both are on backorder. Looks like i'm going to wait for midwayusa to have them in stock. Still trying to decide whether I want 4" or 6". This is mostly a range gun from which I shoot mostly 38 special from. Is there much of an accuracy difference betwen 4" and 6"?

Is there much of an accuracy difference betwen 4" and 6"?

Inherent accuracy? None. Accuracy may vary dependent on shooter and factors such as sight radius. There is nothing to indicate that barrel length effects accuracy.

Adios,

PIzza Bob