keithco88

Looking for a good family tent

Hoping you all could lend me some of your experience. I camped a lot growing up, initially in tents but we eventually got a pop-up trailer and used that for most of my formative years. I don't have a car that can pull a trailer so I'm looking for a good family tent. I'm leaning towards a 3 season tent because there's near-zero chance my wife will ever want to camp in anything approaching freezing temps, so that should hopefully save me some cash and narrow down the scope.

For size, I'm looking for anything bigger than a 6-person (according to the mfgr specs) because whenever I walk inside a 6 person I say "well this is for 3 or 4 people who value personal space, or 6 ppl spooning up on each other". I've got a 2yr old girl plus my wife and we'll eventually have another baby. If I drop >$300 on a tent I'd prefer it to last quite a while so I'm gonna get the biggest thing I can. Some of the things that caught my eye are REI's Kingdom tent (http://www.rei.com/product/810168/rei-kingdom-8-tent-2012), the Cabelas Bunkhouse and the new Cabelas Gaurdian. I had been leaning towards the store brand tents because what I've read the customer service & warranties seem to be better than with the "name brands".

Anyway, that's my half day of research, interested in the experience from folks here.

I second Campmor on Route 17 in Paramus. Lots of choices and lots of helpful advice. Your biggest decision will most likely be whether or not you want a 3 or 4 season tent. Four season (winter) tents are made more durable and are generally heavier and a lot more expensive. You will also want a pad that perfectly fits the bottom of the tent to protect it. Quality tents will have them for sale that perfectly fit the tent. You will most likely want a tent that is free-standing, and you will want to consider which stakes to get depending on where you will be setting it up... sand, etc. Another nice thing, when appropriate and possible, is to put a tarp over the tent in inclement weather, one not touching the tent. I have had good luck with Eureka tents, North Face, and Sierra Designs. And, there is a marked difference between a light-weight backpacking-type tent and a full-size, heavy car-camping family tent. Most family-style tents will probably be cheaper made 3-season tents. Something like a Coleman brand would be a good family tent. If you have a membership at BJs or Costco, check out those tents. If you can spend 3-4 hundred dollars, look for a Eureka.

If you're looking for a good quality 3-Season family camping tent, definitely look at the Eureka tents. I own a bunch of different tents (from ultra light backpacking tents up to large family camping tents) and have been camping/backpacking for many years... so I have quite a bit of experience with them. I own this Eureka tent and think it would definitely fit the bill of what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.co...ords=Sunrise+11

http://store.eurekat...sunrise-11-tent

I know that this Eureka tent is advertised as good for 5 to 6 people... but that's only if they're all crammed in there next to each other. For my family of 4 it is perfect and allows some extra room for clothing, bags, etc. It's 11' x 11' square and it's very roomy inside. The center height is 7' which is nice so you can stand up inside it. That's one my favorite features as I'm 6'2" and appreciate that I don't have be hunched over while inside it. It's a really well built tent and mine has been through some nasty thunderstorms and heavy rain and never had a single drop leak inside. And that's without any kind of tarp over it... just the rainfly that comes with it. Just make sure to get a good footprint/barrier to put under the tent before you pitch it.

Do yourself a favor and don't spend money on cheapo tents, as you get what you pay for. Colemans are cheap and not very good quality. Spend a little bit more for something like the Eureka and it'll be a good quality tent that will last you a long time as long as you take care of it.

Campmor in Paramus has great sales from time to time and you can get great deals on tents. I think I paid under $230 for the Sunrise 11 tent a couple of years ago at Campmor which was a great deal.

I I have had good luck with Eureka tents, North Face, and Sierra Designs. And, there is a marked difference between a light-weight backpacking-type tent and a full-size, heavy car-camping family tent. Most family-style tents will probably be cheaper made 3-season tents. Something like a Coleman brand would be a good family tent. If you have a membership at BJs or Costco, check out those tents. If you can spend 3-4 hundred dollars, look for a Eureka.

I agree on those brands. I own a Eureka and a Sierra Designs and both are excellent tents. The Eureka is a great choice for family camping tents and Sierra Designs makes great lightweight backpacking tents (their larger tents are great too, but they are pricey).

I see this North Face one at CampMor that looks pretty amazing http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___27819

The Eureka ones look weird to me b/c the rainfly doesn't encompass the windows...seems like it's begging for water in there if its raining anything but straight down...your experiences?

I'd go bigger than the Sunrise only because this might eventually accommodate a dog as well and because my wife doesn't exactly travel light :-(...can't change everything

I see this North Face one at CampMor that looks pretty amazing http://www.campmor.c...Product___27819

The Eureka ones look weird to me b/c the rainfly doesn't encompass the windows...seems like it's begging for water in there if its raining anything but straight down...your experiences?

I'd go bigger than the Sunrise only because this might eventually accommodate a dog as well and because my wife doesn't exactly travel light :-(...can't change everything

Nothing wrong with a NF tent.

Another nod for Campmor in Paramus. Knowledgeable folks there and the displays help you make a better decision than by looking through a catalog.

My old Eureka 4-season has been around since Webelo's. The kids have abused it but it's held up remarkably well. Sleeping bags are equally important especially if you intend to winter camp.

I see this North Face one at CampMor that looks pretty amazing http://www.campmor.c...Product___27819

The rainfly that the Sunrise 11 comes with creates an eave/overhang over the tent and works remarkably well. Also once you zip up the windows, NOTHING is getting in. Like I mentioned, my Sunrise 11 has been through some pretty nasty thunderstorms with howling winds and I didn't have a single drop inside the tent. As far as space goes... the footprint of the tent is 11ft x 11ft... that's plenty large for 4 people, a dog and your gear.

The North Face tent you posted, looks cool... but it's also more than double the price. if you look at the specs for the North Face tent, it says 120 sf inside the tent... and the Sunrise 11 gives you about 121 sf of floor space. So they are about the same. What you get with the North Face tent is the vestibules... which in reality, if you're not backpacking is really not that big of a deal (nobody would backpack with a tent of that size anyway! LOL!). Also the square shape of the floor in the Sunrise tent gives you a more efficient use of space, where the North Face tent is long and narrow (15' x 8') and is not as efficient for use of space.

Anyway, not trying to persuade you to only buy the Sunrise tent... I'm just tryign to help, as I've have a lot of experience with tents and done lots of research and this tent is a great bang for your buck and gives you excellent quality. I hope the info I'm giving you is helpful.

The rainfly that the Sunrise 11 comes with creates an eave/overhang over the tent and works remarkably well. Also once you zip up the windows, NOTHING is getting in. Like I mentioned, my Sunrise 11 has been through some pretty nasty thunderstorms with howling winds and I didn't have a single drop inside the tent. As far as space goes... the footprint of the tent is 11ft x 11ft... that's plenty large for 4 people, a dog and your gear.

The North Face tent you posted, looks cool... but it's also more than double the price. if you look at the specs for the North Face tent, it says 120 sf inside the tent... and the Sunrise 11 gives you about 121 sf of floor space. So they are about the same. What you get with the North Face tent is the vestibules... which in reality, if you're not backpacking is really not that big of a deal (nobody would backpack with a tent of that size anyway! LOL!). Also the square shape of the floor in the Sunrise tent gives you a more efficient use of space, where the North Face tent is long and narrow (15' x 8') and is not as efficient for use of space.

Anyway, not trying to persuade you to only buy the Sunrise tent... I'm just tryign to help, as I've have a lot of experience with tents and done lots of research and this tent is a great bang for your buck and gives you excellent quality. I hope the info I'm giving you is helpful.

Thanks Tony, that's exactly the kind of experience & insight I needed...also saves me a ton of cash! I'll see where I can get a peek at the Sunrise but after you & a number of ppl recommending Eureka in general I'm definitely leaning towards that.

follow-up..."floor savers" any good from Eureka directly or should I just get some poly and cut to fit & install grommets myself?

No need to spend big bucks for a floor saver from the manufacturer, or to install grommets in a homemade one as you don't need them... just get some decent thickness poly and cut it a little smaller than the floor dimensions of your tent. So let's say if your tent is 11ft x 11ft, cut your "floor saver" to 10.5" x 10.5". You NEVER want the footprint/floor saver to stick out from the under the tent. The reason for this is that if it rains, the water doesn't collect in between the tent floor and the "floor saver". The "floor saver" or "footprint" is for preventing tears in the floor and most importantly to create barrier between the tent floor and water. The floors will saturate if exposed to water long enough and you'll get water inside the tent... and that is true with ANY tent.

I have found through the years that Coleman makes some of the most durable camp equipment period.What they do not make is the lightest high tech stuff. I have had tents that weigh cost close to $400 for 2 and weigh only a couple pounds packed. I had a bruiser of a Colman tent. I camped through some monster storms with that thing and it wouldn't quit. I literally had to cut a hole in it so my ex would let me buy a new one. Look for a tent with a strong bottom material that "curls" up the sides a good amount. Buy a tarp to use as a foot print for the tent. Cheaper and stronger than anything they offer as add ons with the expensive tents. This will ensure the tent lasts a long time. Make sue the rain fly comes down the length of the tent as much as possible. Lots of ventilation and I prefer dome style tents for their ability to handle winds better. Long story short Coleman offers almost all of that cheaper than anyone. If your car camping and not backpacking thats the way I would go. In fact my wife and I are expecting our first son and will be in the market for a new tent and thats were I will be looking first.

I'll add that Campmor is a great place to look at gear, and there is an EMS just up past them and a REI on route 4 east of route 17. My wife and I camp and we use a 10 by 20 carport for week long camping but for weekend stuff we use a Wensel 14 by 16 tent. I feel in any tent that has sloped walls you need to figure about 40 sq ft per person to have enough floor space for beds and gear and walk ways. Also pick up a 10 by 10 or bigger strait leg pop up shade for dining under and just relaxing.

This is one I would suggest if I was going to by now http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28644 .

Enjoy the camping.

Hello. I agree with all the posters but some of tnt alot and ob6 year. now and its awesome no leaks sturdy not complex to set up. Got it down to about 5 to 10 mins with the wife. Its a Coleman. Max cabin 10 its older but you can still find them at Walmart for under 2 hundred. It has two rooms if you need the partition and tall enough that you can get dressed. Standing up bathtub bottom like the other poster was talking about. Never had water seep in and we've camped in many a ripping rain storm. I do tarp the top when we have an extended camp session. We spent 9 days camping on our honeymoon....yes I married a cool chick and she digs guns too.... anyhow hope this helps good luck and get out into the woods. Oh yeah camped in it last winter in VT 12 degrees and very windy. No problem like I said awsome tent.......