Hangernade

Archery Range in Rockaway area?

Since I probably won't be shooting any time soon, I decided I want to pick up archery. Can anyone recommend somewhere that I could use a bow? I'm aware of the WMA in Chester, but I haven't taken Hunters Ed so I don't have a hunting license. Unfortunately their location and guest policy are practically ideal too.

Also, if someone could point me in the right direction to get a new string for my bow that would be great. I have an old recurve that I got without a string. If it isn't worth it, I will just borrow my dads compound bow.

Hangernade,

I just went through this same process. I went to a shop called Strictly Archery in Port Murray. Very technical shop and good guys. Speak with Ray.

As for a range, I live near WMA in Chester and getting a hunting license so I can utilize and also shoot clays with my son. Don't know anything closer to you.

You could also go to Cherry Ridge. Good luck

dman2112

Bordy's outdoors in Florham Park had an indoor range last time I was there. (A few years ago.) I'll swing by this week and see if they are still open. They can do string there.

Simon Peter in Andover can also do your string, ask for Tom. I use them for my bow supplies.

There is also a range at the back of pequest fish hatchery, nice ride and you can stop at Johnny's hot dog stand.

I just heard that Cherry Ridge redid their archery range and are committed to keeping it in order.

With one price you get handgun, multiple riffle ranges, shotgun,and archery. Not really a bad ride going one of the back ways from the Rockaway Valley, to route 23, then up Canistear road to the range.

Just got started in it myself. Making my own range in the basement (15 yards) - built a giant backstop out of pressure treated wood and carpeting :) When the weather gets nicer, will bring it outside for longer shots.

... while typing this, got an awesome idea - WHEELS!!! roll it, instead of carrying it....

There is an indoor range on the Picatinny Arsenal, and there is a local archery club that uses it every Thursday. Otherwise you need to be a member of the Picatinny Rod and Gun Club, and you may have to be active or retired military or an Arsenal employee to join. http://www.pica.army.mil/outdoor/rodgun.htm

There is an indoor range on the Picatinny Arsenal,

Hang on, is this open to public? Or do you mean that I have to belong to either the "local Archery club" or the Picatinny Rod & Gun? I live 2 miles from there, that would be sweet...