mipafox

Pennsylvania No Longer Recognizes Florida Non-Res

Contrary to popular belief.... PA is only considered 'mid-pack' as far as Second Amendment rights.

you may be right to a certain extent but look at the PA state State Constitutional provision, then look at ours....

Right to Bear Arms

Section 21.

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

I can't believe the people in PA voted her in this past year....

Every one of her commercials was entirely anti-gun...

She said she would close the "gun show  loophole"

She also said she would make it so that people not eligible for a PA CCW can't go down to Florida and get one...

This isn't a surprise attack... She said it loud and clear on every commercial..

She was voted in by Philly, New York, and New Jersey.

I can't believe the people in PA voted her in this past year....

Every one of her commercials was entirely anti-gun...

She said she would close the "gun show loophole"

She also said she would make it so that people not eligible for a PA CCW can't go down to Florida and get one...

This isn't a surprise attack... She said it loud and clear on every commercial..

Those commercials ONLY aired in the Philly market.

New Hampshire reciprocity agreement with PA doesn't say anything about having to be a resident of New Hampshire.

If you got your Florida permit, you can get a New Hampshire permit easy. They issue to anyone who has a carry permit anywhere. One page form, no fingerprints, enclose photocopy of your Florida permit, no notary stamp required.

Notice also that the PA AG's website still says their interpretation that the state of issuance, not the state of residency of the holder, is what governs. She didn't change that. So it would appear non-FL permits recognized in PA are ok for non residents.

Of course, that is assuming the law is enforced as it is written.

I know this issue of state residents bypassing their own state carry permit and just getting a Florida one is coming up in more than one state. In Texas, a lot of people are doing the same thing - letting their TX permits expire and just getting the Florida one, especially elderly people who are having trouble with the Texas requirement of making a certain score on targets at the range when they renew. When you are old and wobbly, you might not be able to hit that target enough to qualify, but it's wrong to say that they can't carry a snub nose for defense at close range.

Beware - in PA carry without a permit is a misdemeanor if you are legally able to get a PA LTC, but is a felony if you are not. Since PA won't let you get a PA LTC if you are from a state that issues carry permits to its residents, and NJ falls into that category (PA doesn't care if it is discretionary), then it is a felony.

I've heard of people in NJ getting PA permits, but when I asked once they said no unless I have a NJ carry permit. Permits are issued by the Sheriff so you can pick and choose which county you can apply at. If anyone knows a friendly sheriff who is willing to issue permits to people in NJ, let us know.

Beware - in PA carry without a permit is a misdemeanor if you are legally able to get a PA LTC, but is a felony if you are not. Since PA won't let you get a PA LTC if you are from a state that issues carry permits to its residents, and NJ falls into that category (PA doesn't care if it is discretionary), then it is a felony.

You better edit that to indicate "concealed carry". As was pointed out earlier in this thread, open carry without a permit is legal in all of PA except Philadelphia (the only "city of the first class"). You can also not carry in a vehicle unless you have a permit/license from any state - whether or not they have a formal reciprocity agreement with PA.

As was also pointed out, open carry opens you up to more scrutiny and the some PD's are not the most discerning when it comes to the PA UFA.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Despite the sloppy wording on the PA site, the wording on the FLORIDA site is clear:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

• February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state. We have provided links to the state laws or to the licensing authorities' Web page of each of our reciprocity states so that licensees can do the necessary planning and research when preparing to travel.

So.. those of us who live in NJ and have an FL CCW, may not use this in PA.

Grant

Despite the sloppy wording on the PA site, the wording on the FLORIDA site is clear:

http://licgweb.doacs...aled_carry.html

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

• February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state. We have provided links to the state laws or to the licensing authorities' Web page of each of our reciprocity states so that licensees can do the necessary planning and research when preparing to travel.

So.. those of us who live in NJ and have an FL CCW, may not use this in PA.

Grant

Thanks for posting that, no confusion there.

I have Utah as well but I am sure that they will be quick to change this law to block other states that issue non-resident cc permits.

Can someone confirm if NH non resident permit works In PA? It seems nj resident with FL permit can get NH permit easily

Yes, although the list is quite short.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

Alabama Louisiana Alaska Michigan Arizona * Missouri Arkansas Mississippi Colorado North Carolina Florida North Dakota Georgia Oklahoma Idaho Pennsylvania Indiana Tennessee Iowa Utah Kentucky Wyoming

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) but it appears that a resident Florida CCW and non-resident CCW have the same application requirements and these requirements are stricter than PA requirements. So how can the PA Attorney General prohibit non-resident permits but allow resident permits? Is this apparent bias actionable?

The PA state constitution protects the rights of their citizens to be armed for self protection, how can they disallow that same right to other legally licensed American citizens within their borders? Especially when those individuals have met requirements equal to or greater than those of the state of PA?

This nonsense has got to stop. Lets hope National Reciprocity will some day be enacted and all this crap will become moot.

And from what it seems (as some have been saying) she singled out Florida to make a headline - saying that she closed down the "Florida loophole." The sheeple will then shout and cheer that they "took guns off the streets."

Idiots.

In what instances can someone be denied a permit in PA but approved in Florida?? Thought the FL app was pretty substantial as far as criminal records and qualifications.

Apparently if anyone owed the state money from parking tickets or other fines that were not criminal..

Either way if you read the article it says closing loophole where pa residents that were not able to obtain a ccp in pa were getting an out of state FL CCWP.

so if someone owed pa 800.00 for fines they could get a 125.00 fl CCWP..

In what instances can someone be denied a permit in PA but approved in Florida?? Thought the FL app was pretty substantial as far as criminal records and qualifications.

in the instance that Philly is like NJ.... they issue CCW licenses.. but don't want to... so if one time.. when you were ten.. you spit on the sidewalk.. it might indicate you are a violent lunatic.. and issuing you a license to carry a gun may not be in the best interest of public safety... where as FL does not care.. so they just view you on facts..

So my question becomes, what will keep her for amending her other reciprocity agreements in the future? For example, there's talk about getting a NH CCW permit since it has reciprocity with PA. Wouldn't the next logical (illogical from my perspective) step be for her to amend that agreement as well? With the ass-sniffing dog-pack mentality of the politicians, would it be likely that other states will follow her lead with their agreements?