DSD1026

FFL Transfer Problem

Well, its a sign of the times. Many NJ FFLs are asmaholes anyway, but with the stress and what is going on now, they are doubly so.

Uncertain times, statists on the loose, criminals on the loose, and the knowledge that just about every third person you meet is a complete and utter dumb bass (that doesn't help, either), they all lead to something less than the promised land.

so my wife just called the NJSP, and they told her that she would have to talk to the firearms unit (only Monday-Friday) and they told her to try calling our local PD to see if they could be assistance.. which she is calling SS's local police dept now to see if they can do anything.. (doubtful, but worth a shot)..

well, Lakewood told us to come down and explain to an office what she was trying to explain to the person on the phone and then we'll see what happens from there.. i'll let you guys know what happens...

thanks for all the support guys, much appreciated..

Funny, this is the second thread in about a week of an FFL going nuts about something that's clearly NOT a straw purchase.

Sounds like the ATF has been poking FFLs. My tinfoil hat is getting tighter.

I was going to say that. Seems like somebody has dealers spooked. Or maybe not. Awfully strange...

well, went to Lakewood police HQ, like the woman on the phone told us to do, and we told our story, and they couldn't believe that SS wouldnt release the gun to my wife.. didnt understand it at all, and couldnt really see how SS considered it a straw purchase..

that said, they said they couldnt really do anything because its the SP that needs to handle the situation.. (Lakewood police were certainly nice enough and were joking around with us when we were explaining it, but ultimately not all that helpful)..

but at least we've made contact with our own PD (Howell) and the Lakewood PD and she will call the state PD on monday to try to get this mess straightened out.

I cant believe for the life of me what a f*ing mess this is. literally has my wife in angered tears, talking about how she follows all the laws and rules only to get slapped down, etc..

I think it is still a good thing that you made contact and "documented" your outrage in a peaceful and mature manner, even if they were not all that helpful.

Nothing bad can come from you talking to the local PD in this instance. You managed to document your experience and have it on record with a "reliable source" and have told your side of the story.

Have her call the NJSP firearms unit on Monday and tell them the exact same thing.

then that will most likely be the last dealing with them that we have.

Que? I wouldn't buy a bottle of water from Shore Shot, and fortunately, I've established relationships with other locations, ones that would gladly treat you with respect.

L&H in Wall is one of them. Family business and they couldn't be nicer.

As far as ranges go, the best option for you, in my opinion, is to join Central Jersey. Shore shot is hole and when you compare what you get there verse what you get at other real ranges there is no comparison.

Good luck...I hope you get this sorted out.

I'll never be back to Shore Shot again, for it is for an entirely different reason than you and going through. Good luck. When the transfer is complete next week tell Kyle (I believe that is the owners sons name) to kiss your azz and that you will gladly spread the word around as to why no one should do business there.

Que? I wouldn't buy a bottle of water from Shore Shot, and fortunately, I've established relationships with other locations, ones that would gladly treat you with respect.

L&H in Wall is one of them. Family business and they couldn't be nicer.

As far as ranges go, the best option for you, in my opinion, is to join Central Jersey. Shore shot is hole and when you compare what you get there verse what you get at other real ranges there is no comparison.

Good luck...I hope you get this sorted out.

well, the "most likely" is just me not yet burning bridges until AFTER we pick up the gun. but im sure both the wife and myself will have no uncertain things to say once its finally concluded..

i might check out L&H when im in the market for my own firearms (once i get my permits, etc)

I called and asked if my brother can send me a gun he got me for my bday from California to them they said no thats a straw purchase. . Wtf

if you "purchase" the gun from your brother, and he sends it to an FFL and you have a P2P for it, then that wouldnt be a straw purchase either if i get the gist of the law... (?)

i think so too.. and 5 of them were there listening to it. I guess we'll have to see what the SP says on Monday..

i feel bad because she was looking forward to picking it up this weekend.. :(

I wonder how many of your fellow forum members will call Shore Shot and express displeasure at this.

Did you wife pay the $15 for the NICS check?

I'm still steamed that ShoreShot told you to come back at noon. What kind of a business does that.

we didnt pay for ANYTHING yet, that's what we were going in for.. give them their money for the transfer and the NICS check and take it home.. they didnt have us pay at the time we submitted the paperwork.. but they submitted it and it came back without a problem..

to be fair, their delayed opening was the reason he told us to come back at noon (glad we called instead because we would have wasted yet another trip),,

on a completely separate note, i just got a note from one of my references that they just returned my reference questionnaire to my PD... at least THAT'S still moving along..

What is ShoreShot decision then, to eat the $15 they paid for the NICS and then to absorb the costs to ship the gun back to where it came from? What do they plan to do with the shotgun?

I assume the whole point of the FFL system is to make the FFL a sort of gatekeeper and give them the responsibility to reject transfers that they don't want to make. I'm cool with that but there needs to be some sort of standard operating procedure to follow when this happens.

If you don't like the way they treated you don't do business with them again

Contact the FFL that sold your wife the weapon and see if they can contact SS and verify her purchase and help in any way. If they can't ask them to request that SS return it to them.

Contact SS and ask them what they intend to do with the weapon, I would think that if they don't intend to transfer it to your wife, they need to return in to whomever sent it to them. That would be good because you can then request that they send it to a different FFL

Try to avoid threatning that you will file a criminal complaint for theft because they their knee jerk reaction will be to try and convince law enforcement they were trying to stop a straw purchase, even thought that is bs.

oh, im not threatening anything against SS at this point.. the first step is to talk to the SP Firearms Unit and have my wife explain the situation.. at that point, hopefully the SP contacts SS to allow them to complete the transfer.. if they do not, then we will contact the online retailer that we purchased the gun from and see if they will accept the return from SS and then send it to a different FFL (or if not, at least refund our money)..

but NJSP is the first step.. hopefully thats the only step we will need..

I did not read though this whole thread but there is absolutely no reason for her to have to produce a receipt for a gun that was transferred in her name. All she has to do is produce her FID and DL pay the transfer fee and be done. The guy was an ahole and the owner shoud be made aware of it.