fishnut

Anyone use AT&T for a cell provider?

Switched from Sprint to Tmobile after considering ATT. On HSPA+ I am typically getting 8mbps down, with around 15+ in the Woodbridge area and as you get closer to the city.

No dropped call issues with any phones, and uber clear voice.

A friend of mine started working for Tmobile Corporate so has some pull. Ie... we just got 2 Galaxy Note S2's and a Windows 8X for free, with $50 a month for unlimited everything.

They have a test trial, so if you want to try, let me know. But we are extremely happy.

Only perk to Verizon is their big 3g network once you leave urban areas... however for the future, their network is quite limited for future LTE upgrades of LTE advanced. Tmobile and Sprint, and especially now with the MetroPCS aquisition, TMO has the most bandwidth in the NYC area by far.

Average Joe is a Tmo engineer =) so ask him to confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I live and work in the Hunterdon area and have a few dropped calls using ATT, but so do my friends who use Verizon.

Have had ATT for 10 years and very happy with their customer service.

Other than dollars saved, the only other consideration would be speed of data if you are going to surf a lot with it. I have heard Verizon has better speed on data transfer.

I justed picked up a new 4S from Best Buy for $49 with 16 gig of memory about a month ago. I am guessing the 1 dollar ones are 8 gig and maybe refurbished?

Either way I reccomend squaretrade as an aftermarket break insurance,. I have used them for 5 years. Had two claims so far with them and it went very well with out a hassle.

http://www.squaretrade.com/

I was told by the customer service manager last night that if i wanted an i plone i would have to pay FULL retail for it which is over 400 so that is where i was getting that price from.

It all depends on what the contract is... i dunno what they offered you, but if you want to compare the same phone and New or renewed contract between at&t and Verizon, your looking at 199 for Verizon and free from at&t. If you wanted to buy an iphone for an existing contract both companies would be charging you retail. A free iphone is a pretty good incentive to switch to at&t or stay with them when a contract is up, you have to weigh whether it makes up the cost in your plan and service.

I've had AT&T since they were Cingular, and I don't have any real complaints. I don't use my phone all that much, but it works well enough for me 99% of the time when I am using it...

A lot of complaints about a cell phone company itself may be for things the company doesn't have control over. Some cell phones aren't as good as others at picking up signals...I've placed 3 different AT&T phones down on my kitchen table a few inches apart from each other, and have had signal strengths vary widely between them. Signals can be blocked by hills/trees/etc...so your neighbor might have 2x better (or worse) reception at their house than you have at yours. At my house, people with Verizon have issues getting signal. I've been dicked over by Sprint in the past, so I'm not going to use them. The only other real "option" is T Mobile, so AT&T it is for me...

I have had AT&T throughout several periods including the old AT&T (blue AT&T, pre-cingular).

I switched to Verizon and then switched back to AT&T in 2010 to take advantage of my company's 21% FAN discount.

First, they were awful. Really, really awful. In NYC I couldn't use data on my iPhone at all. In some parts of North Jersey same thing. Dropped calls? Sometimes. But all sorts of weird things like recorded messages when I attempt a call and just really long times to complete calls. I must have submitted a billion reports via the "mark the spot" app.

Towards the tail end of when I switched back to Verizon (last year with the iPhone 5 launch) they were much better than when I first had them. But when I switched back to Verizon, Verizon was also much better than I remember.

AT&T is good with price. Verizon is awful with these new expensive shared data plans. I don't need unlimited minutes and I don't need unlimited text. I need at most 100 minutes a month and unlimited data. They don't offer that.

Verizon is getting aggressive with their LTE rollout which is leaps and bounds beyond AT&T. In fact they just lit up LTE here in Sussex/Wantage. They want to have the whole country covered by LTE the end of this year but they claim they will be done by June.

well i made the switch to AT&T and I am happy so far. I went to most of the towns I work in today and no problems with service. What made it even better was the sales rep in tthe AT&T store turned out to be a well informed gun owner and we chatted for a while about firearms and the goverment. He is already a NRA member but did not know about NJ2A so i gave him the info and he is going to become a member as well as a member of this fourm. All in all it was probably the best experince in a cell phone provider store i have ever had. Thanks to everyone here who posted info on their experiances with AT&T!!

Adam