I have been watching quite a few Videos on line about Defensive Knife training. I am looinking to purchase some recent DVD's on the subject, if you have some let me know. MBC (Martial Blade Concepts) as seen on The Best Defence on Outdoor Channel is what sparked my interest. Besides living on NJ and working in NY, 2 Douchebag states the protect the criminals. There is little reason to carry a knife, other than to show it to someone and hope they run, if you can t use it. I will be on the Forums looking to buy, trade or borrow if you know me. On the other side, does anyone have any ACTUALL training in this area they are willing to pass on? I mean training with someone that is actually knowledgeable in the application and use in the real world. I am not looking for a person that watched a DVD or two and is now Ninja. I would prefer to take a Krav or other Matrial traing but I simple do not have a place for that kind of weekly Multi hour commitment right now or in the forseeable future. Also are there enough people interested, that a small manageable group, could be formed for parctice or passing the skills along? As with most training it takes a minimum of two to practice. If interested, please feel free to post.

Right, again, like i said. I am NOT missing your point. I GET your point. I am trying to AVOID.....post like yours. I am WELL aware, that propper trainging and muscle memory is THE BEST way to train. I am looking for like minded people thare are interested in this topic. I can't train with Robert Vogel, Chris Costa, Rob Letham or Bruce Lee, these are not options for me. I buy the DVD's to see their techniques, and do my best to integrate their winning forms into my IDPA, USPSA and Steel training. I and many others do not have 12 years or 3 days a week to devote to this, so with the options available, what can be done is the question. I thank you for looking out for my well being and the well being of others. I respect your years of Martial Training, however it doesnt help any one other than you, unless you were interested in passing on your knowledge in a session, that would be helpfull. Telling people that they are going to die because they do not train properly is not helping at all. Perhaps if you re read my origional post it may help. I am requesting that you no longer post here, if you must continue to post negatively.

I guess Ill delete this thread in a day or two. If you are interested, or know a reliable instructor, or have something to offer to help. A place to train a few times a month, or are a business that teaches such things, contact me or just PM me. If some are interested we can see how to procede. Even an instructor willing to do specific work, without a gym membership, or monthly fees

would be of intrest.

I have been watching quite a few Videos on line about Defensive Knife training. I am looinking to purchase some recent DVD's on the subject, if you have some let me know. MBC (Martial Blade Concepts) as seen on The Best Defence on Outdoor Channel is what sparked my interest. Besides living on NJ and working in NY, 2 Douchebag states the protect the criminals. There is little reason to carry a knife, other than to show it to someone and hope they run, if you can t use it. I will be on the Forums looking to buy, trade or borrow if you know me. On the other side, does anyone have any ACTUALL training in this area they are willing to pass on? I mean training with someone that is actually knowledgeable in the application and use in the real world. I am not looking for a person that watched a DVD or two and is now Ninja. I would prefer to take a Krav or other Matrial traing but I simple do not have a place for that kind of weekly Multi hour commitment right now or in the forseeable future. Also are there enough people interested, that a small manageable group, could be formed for parctice or passing the skills along? As with most training it takes a minimum of two to practice. If interested, please feel free to post.

Do you have any type of martial arts and sparring/fighting experience? It's a good idea to at least have a basic level of training before you move on to weapons.

Bertus, where do you live, look around there.

There are various instructors that teach a variety of applicable things, and you can go to many on a pay-per-class basis.

Meet folks there and try getting together on your own time to review what you learned in class.

Limit the moves you learn and learn them real well if time is a factor.

I remember a competition I was at, MMA. A guy who was obviously physically handicapped new 3 punches only, and knew them well.

Jab, right cross,left hook.

It took a while and a beating but guess what .. he won.

Goes on all the time with many martial arts.

I've trained for the better part of my life. Getting together somewhere else or even at the dojo on our time we reviewed and trained.

Eventually core groups would form.

Look into kali/escrima as it crosses over. It'll give you footwork too.

Look into russian systema as it has much knife involved, both offensive and defensive.

Both teach disarming.

Nickjc is ultimately right ... no getting around time put in ..but how you get there is up to you.

You don't need to know it all, just more than the guy you have to defend against, and they rarely are the ones who train.

Just my 2 cents.

Bertus, I was a little reluctant to reply to you, given your disrespect and uncivility towards Nick, who is quite knowledgeable and an all-around good guy;

especially since you only have a handful of posts on this forum. But I can relate to a lot of what you say, so I'll take a stab at a reply (pun intended).

I totally understand your reluctance to spend thousands of hours practicing skills that are extremely unlikely to ever be needed. I can think of a lot of things I would rather be doing, like shooting for instance. OTOH, I agree with you that there is not much point in carrying a knife (uh oh, another pun!)

if one does not have at least a bit of an idea of what to do with it, other than presenting it in hopes an attacker will flee.

I don't know if you have read the article that Nick linked to. If not, I would strongly recommend it. One of the first points they make is that there is really no such thing as "knife fighting," just knife attacks. IMHO, it's good to have some basic skills if one hopes to survive such an encounter.

I have taken this class at Gun For Hire: http://gunforhire.co...efensive-knife/ MDTS also has a basic defensive knife class. Not sure if that's the kind of thing that you had in mind.

I would also suggest you look into some of the training videos from Target Focus Training. While they are not specific for knives, they take the approach that surviving a deadly encounter is not a matter of, "If he does this, you do that," etc. Their focus is that your job when confronted with violence is to inflict an incapacitating injury on your attacker as quickly as possible. It's clearly not for when some guy wants to fight you for spilling a drink on him or looking at him funny. It's reserved for when your life is threatened by an asocial psychopath bent on violence.

I would be open to putting together a group to practice once in awhile. I'm up in Wayne. LMK if you're interested.

I remember a competition I was at, MMA. A guy who was obviously physically handicapped new 3 punches only, and knew them well.

Jab, right cross,left hook.

It took a while and a beating but guess what .. he won.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” - Bruce Lee

<p style="margin-left: 40px;">To all that took the time to reply, thanks. HOWEVER, I asked for a simple request. Like minded individuals that this post intrests. Since posting it I have recieved None. If you take the time to look, from the beginning, you will see what I simply asked for.  It clearly states not interested in joining a gym, dojo or training facility. </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px;">     As far as disrespecting your friends, you are entitled to your opinion. I see your point however, I never once solicited  opinions on what someone else thinks I should do. this is the #1 problem with the internet. I asked a question, and got answers I specifically asked NOT to get. I have recieved the complete opposite of what I asked for. Simply put, if no one was interested, there would be 0 replies. I was hoping for something, but this is assinine. I am 43, not 14. While your opinions are valid to you, they in no way helpfull to the request.   Respect works in many ways, not responding to what I asked is a form of disrespect. By changing the subject of someone elses post, destroys its reason to exist. If the question is .45 or .9mm, why do so many feel .357 sig is an acceptable answer? .357 sig has nothing to do with the 2 possible answers? .45 or .9mm......</p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px;">     I just 4 hours ago, got out of surgery , I AM NOT ABLE, to for many months to year, take any kind of Heavy lifting, excessive exertion and certainlly not fighting an a MMA match. I am putting this info out there, even though its no ones business. </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px;"> </p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px;">    I asked a simple question and was not looking for a lecture on what others know, that I already know.       I was trained in 2 Chineese Martial arts in my youth, that was 21years ago.  If you asked me to jump start your truck, would you want me to jump start it OR would you perfer a lecture on my experience as a Certified Auto Technician about how proper battery maintenance is the only true way to avoid a dead battery.  its nice to have the info, but your battery is still dead. Good luck to you all, I know Anthony C. I have had classes there among many others. GFH is more than an hour away.</p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px;"> </p>

Hey Bertus, the people here are very helpful and are willing to take their time to answer questions. Many times the exact answer isn't reached in the first post or 2 but a lot of other relevant information is passed along. This would be for both yours and others benefits.

You want an exact question answered and not here anything else, well that's probably not going to happen on here or in person to who ever you asked your question to.

Now as far as your responses to people that are trying to pass along information to you, we'll let me just ask you, wold ou reply to people's faces like that? Just wondering, because every single person I mp have meet from here are great people and the others I have yet to meet, I'm looking forward to that day, you on the other hand, not so much... Just saying, maybe you should re think your responses before you send them, maybe do what a lot of other do, and respond on the Internet as you would in person..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to beat a dead horse, but Nickjc is right.

That said, if your determined to go down the DVD path or whatever, go for it.

They make plastic and wooden practice knives.

After a while, replace them with markers or virtual blade knives.

One understands quickly what its about after that.

@ Nickjc only. I have no idea why you feel your opinion is so important. The parameters of my question were verry clear, but have become ugly and worthless, to the point you feel you need ME to come to you, so you can effectively kick my ass to make your point....why is that? What I asked for was very clear, and to me seemed very clear. I understand you for some reason must continue to tell me that your way is the best. Having already recognised you as a Titanium Junkie I dont know what you want other than to continue posting what I have nicely asked you not to. I am NOT coming to North Jersey and we are NOT going spar, I am not joining a Gym or Dojo, is that clear? I can not make that any clearer. What ever your need to be right is, I cannot help you. There is no grey area here, even if YOU want one. I have a DVD or two, I have a Spyderco Trainer, I have a "trainig dummy", built to life size. This and only this is what there is to work with as of now.

@ hd2000, respectfully, people for the most part are helpfull by nature, that is why I bothered to post my original question here, with reservations. For myself, when someone becomes beligerant to the point that no matter what I reply, their reply escalates the conversation to unfriendly, I ask them to not reply any more, and it waas done nicely. I did this, I own no one anything. If someone has nothing to add, thats fine, even better sometimes. An answer that steers the converstion away from the point looses the focus of the topic, this happens all the time, eapecially when out with frineds. Conversatioins change from work, to the game to taxes and so on. However if a person is not finished, they may try to steer the converstion back to what they were / are interested in. This is what I have been trying to do, and its not working. Im going to start a NEW thread on the topic again and delete this one friday. Please feel free to stop by the new thread and see how its going or not going.

I absolutely speak to people in the real world like this, not because I am a tough guy or know better. For myself that is the whole point of starting the thread. I asked, because I was looking for a specific topic. I recieved great info that will help, in a PM because this thread is unfriendly, and unrepairable. I also have a few people in the real world that are interested, they do not post here or choose not to.

You do know me, you have met me and we get along just fine in the real world. If you ask me a question that I cannot answer or the answer is not usefell, just tell me. If I continue to give you information you are not interested in, I would never be upset, if you wished to end the conversation. Normally a simple thanks, and walk away ends most conversations with friendly people. If I still after that continue to follow you around the Out Door Range at OB or CJ, I would expect you to be even more annoyed and possiably uncomfortable, that even after you request I let it go, I have the need to continue to push my point that you have clearly asked me not to. Disrespecting your personal space in the real world is different that the virtual forums. however disrespect comes in many forms. No one here absolutely has to post, its choice as you said.

Old Glock, you were very clear and I still offer my thanks.

Posted Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Wait I have the answer....and I am a simpleton with an edged weapon.

Let's do this.....why don't you head on up to north jersey one day...and meet up and I can show you a few reasons why in order to be proficient with a knife.....a few simple sessions won't help you.... I would probably be saving your life...Or keeping you out of jail. This I take as a gentle threat. I'd love to have an experienced person give a lesson or two, or just share their person experiences,and I clearly asked for that. You are a quite respected person on the forums so props to you.

Also for shits and giggles....take a razor blade...cut yourself with it...now imagine that ten fold..because no matter how adept you are with a knife in counters...or open hand defense of same ...you are going to be cut and cut a lot....

Again, these are your words, typed in English,not my words yours. The deterioration of this thread is sickening. I will be closing it today at 5 P.M., if the Admins dont first, and I would not blame them in any way if they did. Thius type of interaction is useless and frightens away good people who do not wish to be part of it, So to all that still have anger twards this thread, get it out of youre system and have a better day, if you like.