So i a was looking to get a Tapco 15rnd magazie for my SKS. Went into a store and was told this was ilegal because the SKS is on the Assault weapons ban list in NJ with the detachable magazine. Now i wondered about 922r, because if your gun qualifies, it is then considered a custom manufacter, correct? Then technically it isnt an SKS?? Just airing this out, and looking for comment? I could be totally off-base, but shop i went to seemed arrogant, and im right, your wrong, end of discussion(which may be the case, but not great for bringing in customers, especially since i dont only own an SKS). Any info or other ideas?? Had the whole build planned in my head, now on hold because of this.....

It has nothing to do with 922r in NJ your SKS cannot have a detachable magzing period. They are only legal with he fixed box mag. You are also incorrect on the 922r, each imported gun when altered requires a specific number if USA parts under Federal law not state. State law always superseeds federal. All that tapco crap sucks anyway, keep your SKS looking like an SKS and get an NJ legal AK.

So, no one has the answer. I understand how many parts needed, and a mag change wont acheive that. My real question is, is it stil considered an SKS if i attain 922r? Much like any number of AR variants are sold and COLT AR-15 is on the ban list. Even thou it is pretty much the same gun, in name it is not.... So i guess the real question i need answered is this.... "If i attain 922r with my SKS, is is still an SKS or a rifle of custom manufacture, and if it is, at that point can it have a detachable magazine?"

As for Tapco, i know many people on SurvivorsForum that swear by them for the SKS and poop on them for their AK's. Everyone has hit or miss products, but when you have pretty much a whole forum praising them, i gotta say that is the way to go for SKS.

in NJ you cannot have the detachable mag on your sks, The thing is if you brake a gas piston lets say and you buy an american made one to replace your gun is nolonger legal it does not meet the 922r legislation you would have to change 9 other parts us made. or buy a original piston.

So, no one has the answer. I understand how many parts needed, and a mag change wont acheive that. My real question is, is it stil considered an SKS if i attain 922r? Much like any number of AR variants are sold and COLT AR-15 is on the ban list. Even thou it is pretty much the same gun, in name it is not.... So i guess the real question i need answered is this.... "If i attain 922r with my SKS, is is still an SKS or a rifle of custom manufacture, and if it is, at that point can it have a detachable magazine?"

As for Tapco, i know many people on SurvivorsForum that swear by them for the SKS and poop on them for their AK's. Everyone has hit or miss products, but when you have pretty much a whole forum praising them, i gotta say that is the way to go for SKS.

Your question was answered several times, an SKS is an SKS, Colt is a Brand name with many models An sks is the name of the rifle not the brand. As far as Tapco quality never said is was bad, it's just lame. I am a long time member of Survivors SKS also, it's called bubba when it's taken out of the wood and all the tactical crap is put on. I collect SKS's and have a lot Im a purist when it comes to mil surplus so it's nothing againt the company of Tapco I just hate plastic stuff.

in NJ you cannot have the detachable mag on your sks, The thing is if you brake a gas piston lets say and you buy an american made one to replace your gun is nolonger legal it does not meet the 922r legislation you would have to change 9 other parts us made. or buy a original piston.

I think you're wrong on that. IIRC 922r comes into play if you're "changing the configuration" it was imported in. Replacing a gas piston identical to that it was imported with but made in the US does not change the configuation. The same goes if you replace the stock with a synthetic or wood one identical to the one it was imported with. Identical replacement parts don't change the configuration no matter where they were made.