Maksim

Analysis of Assembly Bills to be Heard

Emails sent!

I heard Christie say in and interview he supports NJ's existing gun laws. So if he already supports stripping law abiding citizens one their Constitutional Rights, what's to keep him from signing new laws.

Simple answer....US !!

I have a strong feeling the 10 round mag and internet ammo sales ban will probably pass. The others could go either way.

Agree, because they sound so "reasonable." I don't understand the dynamics well enough to make any predictions on the others.

I really hope 5 doesn't pass, because that leave all of us with a lot of contraband.

I heard Christie say in and interview he supports NJ's existing gun laws. So if he already supports stripping law abiding citizens one their Constitutional Rights, what's to keep him from signing new laws.

On the bright side, this could be code for: "we have the appropriate laws in place. we don't need anymore."

I think it all comes down to how he balances his reelection chances here vs. Presidential chances in 2016. Any crazy legislation he signs into law will be held against him at the national level.

I just hope he signs a couple of the annoyance ones to placate the liberals and saves his veto for the scary ones.

One other hope is that he sees what happened to Cuomo after his ridiculous SAFE act and learns a lesson about the fury of free patriots.

My response:

Dear Members of the State Assembly Committee on Law and Public Safety,

My name is Devs. I have lived in this state for 25 years and am a gun owner for 4 of those years since I turned 21. It was with great joy that I was able to exercise my gun rights and to follow in the footsteps of my father and his grandfather in the pursuit of firearms ownership for any and all legal reasons, ranging from hunting, to home defense, and to exercising a freedom intended to protect our nation from the rise of tyranny.

I should also note that I am a law abiding citizen, I do my best to stay within the confines of both State and Federal Laws regarding firearms, despite the confusing language and logic behind them. We're a State which requires a Firearms Purchaser ID Card to purchase ammunition (in store and online) and long weapons. We're a State that has Pistol Purchase Permits and One Handgun per Month in place, along with a magazine limitation of 15 rounds, and an Assault Weapons Ban on cosmetic features commonly found on weapons. Yet, there is a push within both the Assembly and Senate to add more restrictions which are likely to accomplish nothing.

Let me make my position clear: Not only do I object to the new proposed laws, I also reject the laws in place as being onerous and ineffective. Not to mention a drain on State resources.

1. The Firearms ID Card and Pistol Purchase Permit system is hopelessly out of date in an era where the National Instant Background Check exists. In the majority of American States, a positive form of ID is all that is required to purchase a handgun and receive a background check. In NJ, there is no need to waste the resources of local and State police to file paperwork and process applications.

2. The 15 round magazine limit is far too restrictive and punishes law abiding citizens for no logical or rational reason. Why are 15 bullets okay, but not 16? Or 20? Or 30? What is the reasoning here? Furthermore, what is stopping a criminal from leaving NJ and procuring magazines elsewhere and bringing them here? If one wishes to have a magazine limit then tie them to the commission of a crime while using them, similar to how the use of hollowpoint ammunition carries an additional penalty when committing a crime.

3. The Assault Weapons Ban is a farce which only deals with cosmetic characteristics. A NJ "legal" version of a rifle is no more safer than one classified as an assault weapon in any functional way. It it obvious that this ban is nothing more than a burden on the gun owners of New Jersey, and seeks merely to prohibit them from owning weapons which are legal elsewhere.

4. New Jersey is following behind the rest of the nation as concealed carry becomes more widespread and mainstream. In States like Utah, Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon and 38 other States, citizens are trusted to carry firearms on them for the defense of their life, the lives of their loved ones, and other innocents. It is common knowledge that mass shooters in Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and even Sandy Hook chose their targets knowing that there would be no armed response. They took 'Gun Free Zones' as open invitations to commit mass violence. Concealed carry will inhibit this, as it has in places like Utah, where teachers, principles, and even students (college and adult) are allowed to carry in their school.

It is my belief that the People of New Jersey are good, hard working, and honest folks who deserve the same ability to exercise their Civil Rights as their neighbors west of the Delaware River. I mean the State house is in a city which is right on that river. From your window, you can look across and see a State where the People are not prematurely considered to be criminals and should have their rights curtailed. We deserve the same respect they get from their government from you folks in the State House.

Please, reject these proposed pieces of legislation, and work to rehabilitate our State's broken and useless firearms laws.

Thank you,

-Devs

You expect them to read that entire thing? Too long.

Keep it short and to the point.

Honestly, a committee comprised of 8 Democrats and 3 Republicans? Are they any more likely to read a short email versus a long on in favor of gun rights?

Bad news, I spoke with his office and found out one of our Republicans, McGuckin, isn't going to be there, because it's not one of his "Trenton days."

This is flat out unacceptable. How can we have a democracy if our elected officials don't even show up???

Does anyone know if there's a mechanism for them to vote in absentia?

Here is an easy way to contact him:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/bio.asp?Leg=341

And a quick text you can copy and paste and send:

I was just informed that you will not be in attendance during the General Assembly on February 13, 2013. At a time when our 2nd Amendment Rights are in jeopardy of illegally being taken away, I respectfully ask that you re-consider and show your constituents that this is too important for you to miss.

Thank you for your consideration at this most important time for not only our State, but also for our Nation.

State Assembly: 60% Democrats 40% Republicans.

State Senate, same percentage... 24 Democrats, 16 Republicans.... OGAM passed with 21 to 15.

Keep in mind, on more than one occasion Christie has said he is in support of gun control, and from his past, was all for the Assault Rifle Ban. Only way to stop this travesty is from having it come up for a vote. Got to keep pounding and overwhelming the state representatives. Expecting Christie to VETO is NOT the answer.

Attached is the ANJRPC summary and analysis of the bills to be considered on Wed.

Call, email, write!

got into a shouting match with someone at a democrap office when i stated the assemleyman was anti second ammendment. His argument was shouting "no he is not" 50 times.

seriously, these NJ democrats are evil.

The jackson office told me things are ok, and none of this has a chance. We shall see.

My advice, call say u are a one issue voter and will remember on election day, and then hang up.

Christie will not veto these bills, if he decides to run for president and wins the republican nomination, the voters will be in the same position as last election (Romney vs Obama), forced to pick the lesser of two evils regarding gun control. On a national level these issues are not a big deal at all since they are not a'ban'. No headline grabbing here. the only people who will be affected is us.

These are just my opinions and I hope I'm wrong.

Or... Christie will run for President in 2016 as a Democrat....

Speaking with a few people in the legislature and others in the gun community.... likelyhood, at least some of this stuff will pass.

Simple fact boys and girls... we are in the minority in the state. 60% of the both state houses are Democrat controlled. The ONLY way to stop these bills is to keep pounding at them to not bring it up... but if it comes to a vote... it will pass 100%.

The chance of Veto by Christie? I am not certain at all.

Even if he does veto.... the democrats can still shove this through with a 2/3 majority... of which... they are only 2 republicans away from in the Senate, and 4 or 5 in the Assembly.

Or... Christie will run for President in 2016 as a Democrat....

Speaking with a few people in the legislature and others in the gun community.... likelyhood, at least some of this stuff will pass.

Simple fact boys and girls... we are in the minority in the state. 60% of the both state houses are Democrat controlled. The ONLY way to stop these bills is to keep pounding at them to not bring it up... but if it comes to a vote... it will pass 100%.

The chance of Veto by Christie? I am not certain at all.

Even if he does veto.... the democrats can still shove this through with a 2/3 majority... of which... they are only 2 republicans away from in the Senate, and 4 or 5 in the Assembly.

I agree completely.

Unfortunately, mine's a bit long, but I make my intention clear from the get-go.

Dear Members of the Assembly,

I am sending this email in regards to the proposed gun control legislation. I am making it clear that I do not believe any of the bills proposed would make a difference in reducing gun-related deaths.

My reasoning is that there are two causes for murder: poverty and mental illness. The bleak economy has cost many people of their jobs, and have left those already unemployed with little hope. What causes people to sell drugs, join gangs, rob stores, and mug and murder others for money? Poverty. Without a decent-paying job, people resort to crime to pay for their needs. By banning guns, you do not address this underlying issue. Since most criminals obtain guns through the black market, any and all of the proposed legislation would only restrict the law-abiding citizens’ ability to fight off criminals. Criminals will still find a way to illegally obtain firearms. I may cite that the Prohibition-era is a prime example of the success of the black market. Just as the critically acclaimed economist Steven D. Levitt has said in response to gun control, “...regulation of a legal market is bound to fail when a healthy black market exists for the same product.”

Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and Sandy Hook were all performed by people with mental illness. It’s sickening to think how little help and attention these disturbed people were given in their lives. The state of mental healthcare in America is “backwards” in my opinion. Mental illness is so stigmatized that most people tend to deny that they or their loved ones have any issues. At that point, what happens is that the anguish and emotions build up in their brains into something demonic and horrific, which leads to the worst. If these people do seek treatment, much of the time they are prescribed psycho-active narcotics (such as Valium, Xanax, Prozac, and Ritalin) that re-wire their brain’s chemistry. A lot of these people become addicted, and some suffer from severe side-effects, such as suicidal tendencies. To say that “removing guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens will put a stop to massacres” is absurd. The mentally-disturbed assailants of the previously-said massacres had planned their attacks, and to say that they couldn’t do it without other means, such as homemade explosives, is naïve.

I suggest a few solutions:

1. Help improve the economy by relieving the tax burden placed on New Jersey’s citizens. Cut government spending, and allow businesses to grow, so that our citizens can get jobs with decent wages.

2. Use the existing government treasury to support the research and treatment of mental illness.

Establish “gun free zones”, ban online ammunition sales, require in-home inspections (which violate both the 2nd and 4th amendments, might I add). Pass all of the restrictive legislation you want, but if you don’t follow my two suggestions, you are wasting your time.

In closing, many people are leaving New Jersey because of the high taxes and high-strung regulations that make it hard to live here. If you trample on our right to self-defense even further than it already has been, even more people will leave, too. Besides, how do you expect the government of NJ to stay afloat when there’s no one left in the state to tax?

Regards,

Mark Pieciak

EDIT: I think I'll be using this as my speech at the hearing. I'm sure I can get this under 2 minutes.