Maksim

Analysis of Assembly Bills to be Heard

I revised my previous speech. What do you guys think???

I am making it clear that I do not believe any of the bills proposed would make a difference in reducing gun-related deaths.

My reasoning is that there are two causes for murder: poverty and mental illness, and The proposed bills do nothing for either cause.

In this bleak economy, people are resorting to crime to pay for their needs. Since most criminals obtain guns through the black market, any and all of the proposed legislation would only restrict the law-abiding citizens’ ability to fight off defend against criminals. Criminals will still find a way to illegally obtain firearms. I may cite that the Prohibition-era is a prime example of the success of the black market. Just as the critically-acclaimed economist Steven D. Levitt has said in response to gun control, “...regulation of a legal market is bound to fail when a healthy black market exists for the same product.”

Violent crimes at Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, and Sandy Hook were all performed b committed y people with mental illness. The state of mental healthcare in America is feeble, to say the least. The belief that “removing guns from the hands of law-abiding citizens will put a stop to massacres” is absurd. The mentally-disturbed assailants of the previously-said massacres had planned their attacks, and to say that they couldn’t do it without other means, such as homemade explosives, is naïve.

I suggest a few solutions:

1. Help improve the economy by relieving the tax burden placed on New Jersey’s citizens. Cut government spending, and allow businesses to grow, so that our citizens can get jobs with decent wages.

2. Use the existing government treasury to support the research and treatment of mental illness.

In closing, many people are leaving New Jersey because of the high taxes and high-strung regulations that make it hard to live here. If you trample on our right to self-defense even further than it already has been, even more people will leave, too. Besides, how do you expect the government of NJ to stay afloat when there’s no one left in the state to tax?

I am not an English Major; take or leave my edits.

Oh and quick question: are those of us who submit testimony limited to a specific time frame? I just want to have an idea how much time I have so I don't run over. I've currently timed myself at 8.5 minutes.

This is going to be impossible to answer! I've never been party to a Committee meeting with the size of attendees we're talking, The most I've been involver with was maybe 100 people, and there was time for full testimony, but it was for ONE BIll! I've been to 70 or so through the years for different reasons. I have no idea how they plan to handle 2 dozen Bills and this many people. I would suspect that they will be forced to postpone a huge number and defer vote. If not, they people should make an incredible stink because the very point of Committee hearings are to be heard!

So, I have faxed and called all the Assemblymen and women. First off, Assemblyman Albano's admin/receptionist almost cut me off by quickly stating that he will be voting against all of the gun control bills. And he's a Democrat. Next, the person answering Assemblyman Cryan's phone must be getting tired/annoyed. He barely made a pretense of taking my name and information. I didn't correct him when he read my name spelling back to me completely wrong.

Assemblyman Albano is the man. He supports us, and has spoken before NJ2AS, and even told us how to make our efforts in contacting politicians more effective back in August. He's awesome.

I think that, with a lot of them, it isn't really about changing their minds. It's about forcing them to ask themselves "are these bills important enough to have the office phone, fax & email exploding for weeks to come?". I.E. Making it cost something for them to keep towing the line on the anti-gun offensive.

Keep in mind, we don't have to convince all of them, we just need to get enough of them to vote against the bills that they go nowhere. That in mind, keep up the pressure, it may not change anything, but that's a risk we can't take.

Either way, we have a few people on our side, we just have to convince a few more that they can't treat us like this.

But remember, stay polite, even if annoyed, and use logic and reason. But yeah, remain polite in your dealings, even if you don't want to.

I sent an email blast last night but I'm going to send out some faxes now. For anyone using MS OUTLOOK a fellow member created a PST file for MS Outlook users plus two other file formats if the PST doesn't do it for you, here's the link Using Outlook for Email/Fax/Phone

Just to double check, the bills listed in the ANJRPC are the only ones being considered? I'm making my speech now, which will be primarily about the things they wish to make the FID system even worse, and so I need to know what bills are relevant. From what I know, the "in home inspection with psych eval" one (A3676 by Jimenez) isn't being considered tomorrow?

Just to double check, the bills listed in the ANJRPC are the only ones being considered? I'm making my speech now, which will be primarily about the things they wish to make the FID system even worse, and so I need to know what bills are relevant. From what I know, the "in home inspection with psych eval" one (A3676 by Jimenez) isn't being considered tomorrow?

Their docket is unchanged. I don't know how they will handle this many Bills and this many people. Normally it's one Bill at a time, and testimony as such.

Based off of what someone posted from the Maryland hearings-it sounded like they tried to wait everyone out in hopes they'd go home-not sure it even ended until after 9pm.

Give em hell boys-wish I could go. But I've been keeping the pressure in all of these legislators.

I can proudly say that EVERY legislator in my District 24 (Doherty, DiMaio, and Peterson) is very much Pro-2A

I can proudly say that EVERY legislator in my District 24 (Doherty, DiMaio, and Peterson) is very much Pro-2A

Unfortunately, I'm in Sweeney realm of District 3 and it doesn't get more anti...

If it runs a long gambit, we'll need to take shifts running for coffee and pizza!

I emailed Christie twice last week and once today. I also emailed all my legislators (state and local) as well as the NJ Public Safety Committee members last week and then called them individually today as well.

[i'm in district 3 as well, and have emailed and called Sweeney numerous times.]

Edited by johnott

Departure Site Address Departure Time Bus Captain Cell Number E-mail Atlantic City Park at the Atlantic City Rest Stop near Exit 41 of the GSP 7:00am

Elliott Pirie 609-709-5215 [email protected] Bellevile 75 Rutgers Ave, Belleville 8:00am Jennifer Cerca Pantano 973-759-3968 [email protected] Bridgewater Duke Island Park, Old York Road, Bridgewater, NJParking Lot C 8:00am Richard Quinn 732-857-0228 [email protected] Cherry Ridge 100 Range Road

Highland Lakes, NJ 07422 7:00 A.M Marjorie Kleiman 201-960-9008 [email protected] Cheesesequake Park at the Cheesequake rest area near exit 123 on the GSP 8:00am Robert Henn 732 429-8919 [email protected] Farmingdale 462 Squankum Yellowbrook Rd 8:00am Daniel Ritter 908 415 5582 [email protected] Forked River Fork River Rest Stop near Exit 76 GSP 8:00am Glenn Darwell 732-966-5535 [email protected] Montvalle Rest stop near EXIT 171 GSP 7:00am Mike Kukol 201-925-8225 [email protected] Winslow Bangers Sport Shop,840 Piney Hollow Road 7:00am William Dennys 856-889-5055 [email protected] Pine Brook, NJ 330 Changebridge Rd 8:00am Craig Vollmin 201-788-5043 [email protected]