Howard

Wow my permits are in, that was FAST!!! :)

Wow my town, Randolph (Morris County) rocks! I applied for my FID and 4 pistol permits on 1/14/2013. I got my prints done on 1/25/2013. The town mailed out my reference forms on 1/25/2013. One friend turned it back on 1/29/2013 the other on 1/30/2013. This morning 2/11/2013 I got a call that my FID and permits are ready for pickup. So, that is less than two weeks from when the application was compete, and less than 30 days from initial contact :D

Now the fun starts. What handgun should I buy first.

Congrats! That's awesome! Definitely not typical of the amount of time it takes for most folks in NJ to get their FID's or PPP's back... so you've probably made a lot of folks jealous! LOL!

What handgun shoud you buy first? Hmmm... it depends what you like... Polymer frame? Metal frame? Here are my recommendations:

1) Polymer handgun: S&W M&P 9mm or Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

2) All metal handgun: Beretta 92 (92fs, 92A1, M9A1... take your pick) or Sig P-226

Congrats on the expedited processing. As far as your first pistol that depends. You will have a million different suggestions. Why don't you tell us what your plans for the gun, range toy, home defense, competition.

My vote would be a 40 cal sig. You could get the 40, buy a 357 barrel, then get a 9mm conversion as well as a 22 conversion. 4 guns with one permit and multiple uses.

I just want to apologize if anyone thought I was trying to rub their nose in anything, I was just so shocked and happy this happened so fast after reading the headaches so many are going through in this state. The good news is there are some towns that are living up to the spirit of the law. When I got there I asked about what the procedure was to extend the permits, as it would be physically impossible to use four in 90 days per OGAM rule. I was told I could get them extended on the spot right now. I have new respect for my police department.

BLUELINEFISH - To address your question I am looking for something for home defense and range shooting. Right now I am leaning towards a Glock G22 and a 9mm conversion barrel as the first acquisition. Having .22 cal for the range would be a nice way to save money on Ammo, but I heard the Advantage Arms conversion slides are back ordered a long long time right now :( I was out shooting with a board member and used his M&P and Beretta and liked both too.

I just want to apologize if anyone thought I was trying to rub their nose in anything, I was just so shocked and happy this happened so fast after reading the headaches so many are going through in this state. The good news is there are some towns that are living up to the spirit of the law. When I got there I asked about what the procedure was to extend the permits, as it would be physically impossible to use four in 90 days per OGAM rule. I was told I could get them extended on the spot right now. I have new respect for my police department.

Don't sweat it. We are all happy for you.

well done Randolph.. I put mine in the same day (1/14) and i think my references just got their letters this weekend, so I would expect another 2 weeks or so..

as to which handgun.. thats a very personal preference (as diamond said, by the end you will get every gun out there as a recommendation).. most will put Sig or Glock or S&W.. what are you looking for? Semi-Auto? Revolver? i know that my first planned purchase once iI get mine will be to scour the earth for the CZ 75B Matte Stainless..(or Hi-Polish).. but that's just me.

BlueLine's suggestion is actually a pretty good one (although all that stuff costs money).. The Sig P226 is the one he's talking about.. (I think)

http://www.sigsauer....tails/p226.aspx

Congrats! That's awesome! Definitely not typical of the amount of time it takes for most folks in NJ to get their FID's or PPP's back... so you've probably made a lot of folks jealous! LOL!

What handgun shoud you buy first? Hmmm... it depends what you like... Polymer frame? Metal frame? Here are my recommendations:

1) Polymer handgun: S&W M&P 9mm or Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

2) All metal handgun: Beretta 92 (92fs, 92A1, M9A1... take your pick) or Sig P-226

+12

BLUELINEFISH - To address your question I am looking for something for home defense and range shooting. Right now I am leaning towards a Glock G22 and a 9mm conversion barrel as the first acquisition. Having .22 cal for the range would be a nice way to save money on Ammo, but I heard the Advantage Arms conversion slides are back ordered a long long time right now :( I was out shooting with a board member and used his M&P and Beretta and liked both too.

If you decide to with the Glock and really want an AA conversion kit, call Caso's in Jersey City. They got my Gen4 conversion kit within a week. I would purchase the Glock 22 there also. Good people to deal with.

If you choose the Glock 22, I recommend the Gen 4. Some nice improvements over the Gen 3.

Question. With 4 permits, and the ability to only purchase 1 gun per month plus the 90 day permit period, the 4th permit will have expired before you even get a chance to use it?

Nope, extensions solve that problem. You can get 6 and use everyone and that's not taking into account using an exemption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question. With 4 permits, and the ability to only purchase 1 gun per month plus the 90 day permit period, the 4th permit will have expired before you even get a chance to use it?

Yes, but you can (in most towns) extend them another 90 days. I asked about that and was told I could extend them for the full 180 days allowed right then and there - did that for three of them, can't imagine not using at least one right away.