Beretta

Depression & FID Application

Someone I know would like to apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. Question number 26 on the application form is as follows:

Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence.

The applicant has been seen once a month by a psychiatrist and has taken anti-depressants for 15 years. He has never been institutionalized or hospitalized. His questions are:

1. Does "depression" constitute a mental or psychiatric condition? (I'm assuming it does).

2. Does "attended" mean that the person has been seen at a doctor's office?

3. What are the chances that the applicant will get an FID given the long history of successful treatment for depression?

curious too, i had a friend ask who went 1 or 2 times to a psychiatrist for depression if he could apply. i dont see it as a problem, his situation was depression from major life changing events, deaths and divorce. He is clearly fine, just went to see since he was a little depressed about things. i told him to apply but no response yet.

If the asses running the government have their way, even people who have successfully controlled and treated their problems will not be able to exercise their civil rights. That's one reason why I am leary of ANY legislation regarding the violation of HIPAA.

If the asses running the government on this forum have their way, even people who have successfully controlled and treated their problems will not be able to exercise their civil rights.

Fixed it for you.

That's one reason why I am leary of ANY legislation regarding the violation of HIPAA.

HIPPA is a violation of your rights, and that is by design.  Now it's just a government free for all so that's ancient history.

Funny, waiting for permits to come through has been known to cause depression, sleeplessness, feelings of helplessness and irritability... strange if the wait ends up disqualifying you.

"Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental

institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location

of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence."

I dont think the question applies if you voluntarily go to the Therapist. In cases where you want to hurt yourself, you are "opted" to go to outpatient help instead of inpatient. I believe that is the scenario here. If you went to a therapist because you are trying to work on stressors in your life... then I do not think that applies. For instance if I

If you read the question it says.. ATTENDED such as you went to an ER for depression or thoughts of wanting to hurt your self and a doctor attended you for it. You were treated by a doctor, I.E. meaning you went to an ER and or a Psychiatrist for your mental condition and they actually physically "treated" you. Or were observed, meaning a doctor studied you to decide whether you were sick/ill...

Hundreds of thousands of people every day visit psychiatrists, that does not mean that information is logged anywhere. Infact there is no central database for that. However if you are seen in an ER or at a Psyche Facility, it is registered with the State.

IANAL.

My understanding is that, by current law which might or might not change, the police can only find out if you've been in treatment if you've been part of PUBLIC records.

I think there are two systems of medical data, one that is public and openly available to the .gov, and one that is private and accessible to private insurance companies. If you've ever been committed, held for overnight observation, ordered by the court to receive treatment, or even use the hospital system for advice/treatment, you will be under the PUBLIC system.

If you've gone on your own accord to see a counselor or medical doctor, you will be under the PRIVATE system (unless you exhibited severe suicidal tendencies, which then your practitioner could report your behavior).

Basically, my understanding is that you should not feel compelled to answer yes if you've simply seen a professional due to temporary stress or anxiety. We all are "mental" at some point in our lives.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article57666.htm

Read the 5th and 16th posts. Kinda sums it up.

Again, I am NOT a lawyer.

IANAL.

My understanding is that, by current law which might or might not change, the police can only find out if you've been in treatment if you've been part of PUBLIC records.

I think there are two systems of medical data, one that is public and openly available to the .gov, and one that is private and accessible to private insurance companies. If you've ever been committed, held for overnight observation, ordered by the court to receive treatment, or even use the hospital system for advice/treatment, you will be under the PUBLIC system.

If you've gone on your own accord to see a counselor or medical doctor, you will be under the PRIVATE system (unless you exhibited severe suicidal tendencies, which then your practitioner could report your behavior).

Basically, my understanding is that you should not feel compelled to answer yes if you've simply seen a professional due to temporary stress or anxiety. We all are "mental" at some point in our lives.

http://www.newjersey...rticle57666.htm

Read the 5th and 16th posts. Kinda sums it up.

Again, I am NOT a lawyer.

+1 I am also NOT a lawyer.... but this is exactly how I understood the system as well.

Someone I know would like to apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. Question number 26 on the application form is as follows:

Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence.

The applicant has been seen once a month by a psychiatrist and has taken anti-depressants for 15 years. He has never been institutionalized or hospitalized. His questions are:

1. Does "depression" constitute a mental or psychiatric condition? (I'm assuming it does).

2. Does "attended" mean that the person has been seen at a doctor's office?

3. What are the chances that the applicant will get an FID given the long history of successful treatment for depression?

Has this question always been worded like this? I have a close friend that was admitted into a mental hospital 20 years ago and had no problem getting a FID. However, this was in 2009 he got his FID.

Funny, waiting for permits to come through has been known to cause depression, sleeplessness, feelings of helplessness and irritability... strange if the wait ends up disqualifying you.

YEP! I was fine before I started this process and now all I could think of how all the good pistols will be gone by the time my permits come in.