lexcruiser

PWS FSC muzzle devices.. NJ (or ban states) legal?

There's another thread in the AR forum regarding "legal" muzzle devices in general but I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on the PWS FSC devices specifically.

PWS advertises them as "Flash Suppressing Compensators" (FSC) but describes them as being -

"All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces. A copy of this document is available upon request or on our website at www.primaryweapons.com."

They also provide letters from the ATF stating their non-flash suppressing attributes -

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_FSC556.pdf

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_30_47_hr.pdf

With all this documentation in hand, has it already been established that the FSC devices are considered "not evil" in NJ? Has anyone seen them used on an AR style platform here?

Judging from these pictures, it appears to terminate to an opening that is the size of the caliber (like a muzzle brake) but has the additional "prongs" afterwards -

CameraPics135.jpg

P1200060.jpg

Just curious if anyone has had experiences with these and your thoughts..

:girlwacko:

I have one on my BCM upper. Based on the documentation I feel that it is good to go. I also know that several other members have used them.

That being said, I will not be the one questioning you about it at the range or if you are pulled over, so take this as nothing but friendly remarks, not gospel.

I have one on my SR15. I like it a lot. I chose it because 1. it works, 2. price is right and 3. it looks cool. The first day I took it to the range, I counted 3 others that day that had the same one. Do a search on the forum. There's a lot of chatter on this.

I think ultimately if it begins to bother me that much on possible confrontations with the law, I'll chop off the prongs. For now, I'll just keep the ATF paperwork and hope for the best.

Prongs on the front have nothing to do with the function other then look scary to some people. What makes you think you would have to grind them off?

I think it's the prongs which give the FSC the "flash suppression" ability, even though its not significant enough to be classified as such.

I agree that it's probably more for looks than function.

Interested to hear more about this..

THe way my uneducated perception of this legal grey area sees these devices, I use an example given to me on this board. If you can fit your pinkie (.223 or 5.56, would not apply for .50bmg) inside the device it is no go in NJ. This device has a hole about halfway down, visible from the front of the device, that I could not fit my pinkie in, so GTG. A hole the same size as the caliber of the round is a go.

A flash hider works by throwing the gas and flame (at night) forward by having a much bigger hole in the exit end. When the hole in the muzzle device is approx the same diameter of the bullet, the gas and flame still comes out the front, but isnt dissapated like with a flash hider. The resulting muzzle flash is much brighter.

Comps and brakes are more accurate then flash hiders because they vent some of the gas out the sides and top depending on the model which help reduce the turbulence that results from the big opening on the flash hider. The top ports help to keep the muzzle down by counteracting the muzzle rise. A good crowned barrel is also more accurate than a flash hider due to the lack of turbulence as well.

They put flash hiders on most guns because they are inexpensive, not because they work well.

The pinky test is informal and while probably effective seems more like urban legend because I've yet to see any police depts sticking their pinky in the muzzle of anyones rifle. Which in itself is not really a smart idea since you arent supposed to point the muzzle at anything but what you intend to shoot.

If they have a letter that states its not a flash hider great. If not print out the description and put it with your coe somewhere.

A flash hider works by throwing the gas and flame (at night) forward by having a much bigger hole in the exit end. When the hole in the muzzle device is approx the same diameter of the bullet, the gas and flame still comes out the front, but isnt dissapated like with a flash hider. The resulting muzzle flash is much brighter.

Comps and brakes are more accurate then flash hiders because they vent some of the gas out the sides and top depending on the model which help reduce the turbulence that results from the big opening on the flash hider. The top ports help to keep the muzzle down by counteracting the muzzle rise. A good crowned barrel is also more accurate than a flash hider due to the lack of turbulence as well.

They put flash hiders on most guns because they are inexpensive, not because they work well.

The pinky test is informal and while probably effective seems more like urban legend because I've yet to see any police depts sticking their pinky in the muzzle of anyones rifle. Which in itself is not really a smart idea since you arent supposed to point the muzzle at anything but what you intend to shoot.

If they have a letter that states its not a flash hider great. If not print out the description and put it with your coe somewhere.

Pretty much ignore most of the above. It is wrong.

A flash suppressor does two things, if clocked properly, it redirects burning gasses outside of the shooters sight picture, and it attempts to rapidly cool the venting gasses as much as possible so that the burning gas is not as bright as it would be normally. The smith vortex is probably one of the best flash suppressors out there, and you can't jam you finger down the front of it. It works VERY well, just hit up youtube search to see examples.

A comp has a small diameter hole because it is designed to counteract recoil using the gasses escaping form the muzzle, and there are only two ways to do that, let the gasses impact some form of baffle, and vectored jetting of those gasses. If you want vectored jetting, you need a baffle to redirect the gasses to the jetting ports under pressure. The only way to take advantage of jetting without an explicit baffle is to port the barrel, in which case the projectile acts as the baffle.

Flash hiders are cheaper (sometimes) because they are easier to manufacture due to less need for perfect concentricity of threadsing and baffle holes to the bore due to being able to do their job with a more open design. The A2 in particular can be very cheap because you cast it, thread it, and done. The a2 is not very efficient because it's primary concern is preventing a weapon form being out of action from catastrophic failure due to debris getting in the muzzle device. Flash reduction was second priority.

As for accuracy, you can get sub MOA accuracy out of a gun with a comp or flash hider, regardless of turbulence. Building for maximum accuracy is easiest with a crowned muzzle, at least when time is not a factor in measuring that accuracy. If you are on the clock, a good comp makes a huge difference in split times. When going for maximum accuracy, you may have to do more work with a comp to build it right, and may have to be pickier about what projectiles you load in your ammo, and how much gas you feed the comp (i.e. powder choice and charge weight).

I was about to bring up the Vortex. The Vortex is a very popular flash suppressor. The prongs on the FSC mimics it in style but serves no true function in redirecting any gases. So the prongs are what give it that bad flash suppressor look where in fact the baffle in between the prongs and port is what really makes it a compensator. The baffle and ports have redirected the gas to the sides without any attempt of dissipating the hot gases.

Just like the Black Talon, PWS just marketed it poorly. Why call it F.S.C. when it doesn't do the F.S. The C. can stand for many things. Compensator, cool, even criminal to the wrong eyes.

Now why would I chop off the prongs, because that's what makes it appear to be a flash suppressor. Chopping them off would just make them look like any other single port comp in the market and more readily accepted.

I had two of them pinned on BCM 14.5 middy uppers. It's a great comp. Only reason I sold them was I like the BC and the BCM comps better.

IMHO it is Jersey legal.

If you are getting a 16" barrel and the "Prongs" on the FSC bother you, get the TTO. Better yet just get a Branson Brake, cheap & legal.

One of the reasons I got it was for the prongs. Call me shallow, but they look cool. My other thought on the prongs were if I ever jammed the muzzle, accidentally, in dirt or something, it'd would have some form of protection from clogging the baffle. The ATF report solidified the fact it wasn't a flash suppressor.

IMO, I have an SR15 and some brakes just don't complement it well.

Any updates on this?

primary still has the letters up, but has gone to an FSC mod 2, which seems different.  Some of the other model names also don't exist now. 

Looking for a device for the end of a 7.62 AR rifle.  Id like something with traceability to the legality. Dont care for a ton of rearward flowing gasses making folks at my shooting table annoyed.