Avi

Information Thermal night vision Vs traditional night vision

next stage in my midlife crisis (although im not quite mid life yet) is night vision i know nothing all i know is theres traditional night vision and thermal which picks up the heat signature, i know i can probably take a 10 hour class on the subject, what ever info regarding type brand etc. you can put down would be appreciated so i'll know were to start, primary use short to mid range tactical use up to 200 yards Oh and i'm not a millionaire i will spend money for quality and will not get junk, but $2k is my max

I've "only" got an inexpensive Yukon 4x50 Gen1 night vision scope, with a built-in illuminator. I also have a cheap 3w single emitter IR LED flashlight which helps for long throw, out beyond 150 feet. I originally got this setup for airsoft, which is why I went cheap, as it was more likely to get damaged and I'd be unlikely to be shooting beyond 125 feet with any gun at night.

Gen 1 scopes typically require moonlight or artificial illumination to see much of anything. Resolution is decent on Gen1, but each newer generation improves dramatically. I believe Gen2 and above only need starlight, though it wouldn't hurt to have additional illumination anyway. Or an IR laser to play with...

For real firearms use, a Gen 2/2+ is probably bare minimum of what I'd suggest if you'll be actually using the scope a lot, especially at distance. You may also want to look into digital night vision, as these are typically rated similar to gen3 (4 even?) quality, at gen 2 prices.

If you do get a traditional night vision scope, the tubes have a certain lifespan, and can be damaged by bright light aimed at the front of the scope. Keep these things in mind if you do decide to buy a used model.

Some models are designed to mount ahead of compatible EOTechs or similar optics, if you have anything like that...so you can hold your zero on your main scope.

I've never played with thermal, mainly due to cost...

Good luck and have fun.

If 2k is your ceiling, look for traditional night vision. Like the above poster said thermal is quite expensive but for good reason. Use to use an older zebra mk. It was like putting a brick on your rifle and you couldn't add any other optics. It would also freeze after every other shot and they still go for around 8g. However, IF you could stomach the price the cnvd-t fits your description of use. It is compact, light and sits nicely in front of existing optics. Boots up in just a few seconds, best resolution out there and you see every detail. Instead of a white blob you can distinguish facial characteristics and someone's breath on a cold day. But you'll have to add at least another zero to your budget.

I have used a few different NODs (Night Observation Device) and currently have a PVS-14 along with access to a thermal FLIR device at work. I have found that both thermal and NV (Night Vision) have limitations, and knowing them makes working with them much easier. I also find myself reaching for the PVS-14 more often that the FLIR when I need the ability to see in the dark.

Entering the world of NODs is one of those endeavors where you truly get what you pay for.

When shopping for NV devices avoid Russian surplus devices and anything below Gen 3 - even if that is all you can afford. You will be much happier saving a little longer and getting better gear in the long run. Think Best Value vs. Lowest Price here. Go to TNVC.Com for an idea of what is available. They have the best selection and prices of quality NOD gear out there and are a very reputable and honorabe company to work with. Their TNV/PVS14 Gen 3 Pinnacle is an excellent device and a great value.

If you are thinking of mounting it to a weapon platform, that is a whole other expensive ball of wax in equipment and training.

Thermal you may find to be prohibitively expensive, and for your purposes the juice may not be worth the squeeze. Think $3000 or more for a basic thermal monacle, $10,000 and up for a thermal weapon optic.

There are also NODs that combine the thermal and NV image together. These are outstanding but are very expensive and may still be restricted to .mil use at this time.

Man am I glad I found this thread. @HighExposure: the pic on TNVC's site for the device you linked shows it being used as a weapon optic as well as a monocular...is that a croc o shiz marketing pic or could it actually be used for that (although probably absurdly heavy)? That same site lists some thermals in the same price range as what you linked (i.e. http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-scout-ts24/)...curious as to why you reach for the NV vs the Thermal/FLIR in your experience. Is this just a preference thing?

Man am I glad I found this thread. @HighExposure: the pic on TNVC's site for the device you linked shows it being used as a weapon optic as well as a monocular...is that a croc o shiz marketing pic or could it actually be used for that (although probably absurdly heavy)? That same site lists some thermals in the same price range as what you linked (i.e. http://tnvc.com/shop/flir-scout-ts24/)...curious as to why you reach for the NV vs the Thermal/FLIR in your experience. Is this just a preference thing?

If your optic is NV capable you can mount a NV device behind the optic in the approriate mount. The PVS-14 is relatively light, mine weighs in at under 13oz. Mounting to the rifle is really no big deal as far as weight is concerned, especially if mounted behind the optic as the weight penalty does not affect your ability to "drive" the gun from target to target.

This mounting of the NOD to the long gun allows you to use your NV capabilities in a passive role vs an active one - Meaning, in a passive role there is no IR laser emitted for aiming purposes, as you can use the view through your optic to aim just like day time. However, when deployed in an active role with the NODs mounted to your eye, you typically need some kind of IR laser to indicate your POA, which could give your position away to someone else equipped with NODs - negating any advantage that the ability to see in the dark may afford you. Also, if you do not have an IR laser and wish to mount the device as a monacle, you can use your NODs to search/acquire/identify then go white light to engage.

The disadvantage to mounting it on a weapon is you need to point your rifle at anything you want to look at. This makes movement under NODs difficult at best, and limits your abiliy to search to a fraction of what it could be if the NOD's are mounted to your head or in your hand. Because of this, utilizing the device as a monacle is generally the preferred method unless you are in a static position.

As far as why I prefer the NV to the thermal, I spend a lot of time in a car. The thermal capabilities do not penetrate glass, limiting most of my ability to see to the driver's and passenger's side window when I roll them down. The thermal device we have is also pretty big, think 90's era camcorder. Makes it hard to be sneaky-sneaky, to move fast, or quickly put it away if necessary.

As others have said, the pvs-14 is a great NOD. High Exposure did a good job sharing his experience and knowledge on this matter but there's still a lot more information you need to learn in order to get the most bang for your buck. You will need to know exactly what you're purchasing along with what features you may have to sacrifice in order to stay within your budget. You may find that it could in your best interest to increase your budget and get a NOD and accessories that will serve you well instead of purchasing a lesser quality unit that may leave you with buyer's remorse.

It would help if you can be more specific as to how you plan to use it. As High Exposure explained there are 2 ways to use a NOD and each role will require additional accessories that you will have to figure into your budget. If you're going to weapon mount the device, keep in mind that, on some units, recoil damage could be a factor.