kahout

Seeking Eye Protection Products for over Rx glasses

I am seeking range acceptable eye protection for wear over prescription eyeglasses. I pay dearly for Rx lenses but they are not polycarbonate so I need something clear for indoor use, not laboratory googles. ... Protection not distortion.

I'm sure many here have come across a solution. Advice please, make/model, etc.

kahout, many places will make prescription safety glasses and several cater to shooters. You are looking for a pair that meets ANSI Z87 or better. It's honestly the best way to go so you are not dealing with distortion through dual lenses, because even plain safety over-shields has some curvature to them. My daily glass are polycarb and I have snap on side shields for them that I wear to site and typical pistil shooting. When I'm shooting long gun, I've got my shooting glasses on which also have an opaque lens on one side as I cannot shut one eye and focus with the other for a long period without a headache, and cross-eye dominance make both eyes open a challenge.

FWIW, I tried several styles of OTG safety glasses and none of them were comfortable for me. My prescription glasses aren't very large, but are very expensive---Varilux progressive lenses. However, none of the safety glasses projected far enough out to cover my glasses without rubbing against them.

I tried the goggle-style (made for shooting) and while they don't make a fashion statement (well, they do, but not a statement that I think most want to make), they do provide very comfortable protection. They're vented so there hasn't been an issue with fog.

I'm at a point where my eyeglass prescription changes often enough (usually annually---very nearsighted, astigmatism, 3.50+ reading glasses, etc) that I don't want to invest in a third style of eyeglasses when my Rx changes---I all ready need regular glasses and sun glasses.

I'm using the Uvex S3970DF Stealth OTG Safety Goggles. They have an ANSI rating of Z87.1-2003. I got them on amazon.com for approximately $15. So far, they've worked well for me.

These are a little pricey but definitely the best safety glasses I have ever worn and have saved me numerous times. While I can't say much about prescription lenses(I don't wear glasses) I strongly suggest looking into this company. They also have great customer service!

http://www.esseyepro..._45_detail.html

Here's another one from when I started wearing glasses last year. Not over-the-glasses, but I found it useful when I was looking. I wound up going with ESS ICE shields with the P-2B Rx Insert. I believe I paid about $100 for the 3-lens kit (clear, smoke, and amber) and the Rx Insert, and then $30 to have polycarb lenses put in the insert at Walmart.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/30710-shooting-w-rx-glasses/page__fromsearch__1

A little late, but I am another happy ESS Ice user. Not as optically perfect as Rudy Project but the cost is very modest which makes them a great value. Opticsplanet.com often has it for less than ESS direct.

Nick, just call ESS and ask about the Rx. It might just be a limitation of the website rather than the inserts themselves.