Black Ops

NJ NICS

This however you might find interesting. The actual NICS Facsimile Procedure provided to State License Holders states the following (Page 3 Paragraph 4 in capital letters)

"A NICS ANALYST WILL RESPOND, VIA TELEPHONE, WITHIN THREE (3) BUSINESS DAYS (EXCLUSIVE OF THE DAY ON WHICH THE QUERY WAS MADE) WITH ONE OF TWO RESPONSES....."

So the reality of the situation for you so_dank is you got a response in four business days exclusive of the day on which the query was made. Friday day 1, Monday and Tuesday days 2 and three, then Wednesday Day 4, unless the document was not faxed Thursday but was faxed on Friday.

I must admit although it makes no difference, I have not done a single NICS check this year that has not fallen within those three days as the procedure states.

I agree. The bigger picture seems very slow. I was told by Manny at the Bullet hole yesterday that most of the state mental health records were lost in the storm. He said he cant get any inventory either. Manufarturers have nothing. He told me to figure about April for a permit! God I hope not.

If manufacturers have nothing, that's good on two fronts.

1) It casts doubt on the theory that NICS is slowed down on purpose. Panic buying continues!

2) Why is panic buying a good thing? Though lots of it is be existing gun owners, a lot are also new owners. More owners = more power.

So I have a question on this new process. I received 3 pistol permits on January 1st. I have until March 30th to use the all by.

I submitted for a check on Jan 5th. I got screwed and the fax was lost. I called the FFL to inquire on the status but they told me to wait. After a few weeks, they said I should contact NJSP. NJSP said they should resubmit but the FFL was not sure so I lost a few more days. FFL finally decides to resubmit on Jan 23rd and I was approved on Jan 26th. I picked up on Jan 29th as I was notified on Jan 28th that the approval came in on the 26th.

So, I figure my 30 days after my pickup would be Feb 28th. If the FFL submits my NICs check on the 28th, I would get approved on March 4th as the 3rd would be a Sunday and my last permit would expire before 30 days. I have not checked with my township on whether they renew the permits yet.

Now, can the NICs check be done a few days in advance of Feb 28th so I can pickup on Feb 28th since the approval is good for 30 days? I would not pick up my pistol prior to the 28th so I stay within the rules of OGAM. This way, my 30th day from Feb 28th pickup would be exactly March 30th which is when the 90 days expire. If not, I'll look into how to renew my permit.

Isn't this just a way to institute a waiting period without having to pass a law? That is effectively what has happened.

Vtecpaochr, I think if you start the NICS check before your 30day OGAM waiting period is up, you risk being rejected. That's what I was told by my LGS.

That's what I am afraid of though. I guess it is really tough to try to use permits. The new wait time between permits should really now be 30+ NICS approval waiting period which for me was a month as NICS never received my paperwork.

It made sense not have NICS run their check until 30 day waiting period is up as you would get immediate approval and it was good for the day. The new process makes less sense unless the intention is to make us wait longer.

I'll look into the extension process. It may work out better in the long run as it will give me some more time to find what I want with the last permit.

I'll look into the extension process. It may work out better in the long run as it will give me some more time to find what I want with the last permit.

Stop by the PD and ask if they extend them before or after they expire. My local PD will not extend them until they are already expired.

Vtecpaochr, I think if you start the NICS check before your 30day OGAM waiting period is up, you risk being rejected. That's what I was told by my LGS.

Not only rejected - my FFL was told that I could get investigated by the state police for submitting another NICS before 30 days were up.

Thanks. I agree that was where the problem was. NJSP was not quite happy to be directed by an FFL to call them directly. I'll stick with my regular FFL moving forward. I went to the other FFL as they had the item I wanted in stock.

Im willing to bet it will never go back to what is used to be and that 2-4 days will be the norm from here on out, there is no logical reason why it is still that backed up

Sounds to me they've established a built-in waiting period.

Kotkot, I had mine submitted Mon. Had approval Thurs. That was including Nics being closed Mon for Presidents day. Have the store call Nics to see if they received your fax. There is a number for this. Your fax probably did not got through. 3 days average for most. Good luck.

I spoke with NJ State Police this afternoon. They said the backlog is 6-8 business days. Ironically, 2 hours after I got off the phone, I got a call from the FFL that I can pick up the gun. I was beginning to worry since the permit expires on March 10. While I know that's still a good amount of time, I'm not a big believer in the system. You know, things like fax machines running out of paper, paperwork stuck on someone's desk, a call from Mainor saying put the NICS in the bottom of the pile -- that kind of stuff.

I spoke with NJ State Police this afternoon. They said the backlog is 6-8 business days. Ironically, 2 hours after I got off the phone, I got a call from the FFL that I can pick up the gun. I was beginning to worry since the permit expires on March 10. While I know that's still a good amount of time, I'm not a big believer in the system. You know, things like fax machines running out of paper, paperwork stuck on someone's desk, a call from Mainor saying put the NICS in the bottom of the pile -- that kind of stuff.

Excellent! What did you get??

That's a bunch of crap. The Federal and State records checked by NICS are all computerized and are the only ones checked. The storm had nothing to do with it.

That is 100% accurate. I am fortunate enough to have dealer associations with four major wholesale firearms distributors. NONE of them have a single thing worth selling in their inventory. I not only do transfers but I sell firearms also and I currently have no less than 15 firearms on my "Wish List's" in various places with no predicted delivery date at all. I have other relationships and recently ordered a barrel for a 10/22 from one of my direct suppliers and they quoted a delivery of July.

The whole system has gone nuts. There is so much panic buying and price gouging going on right now you have to be crazy to even think of buying anything if you can find it. Somebody I know sold a Sig 516 Patrol NJ Compliant for $3,800. Sig's web site has that firearm listed for $1,666 MSRP and six months ago you could have easily purchased that firearm for $1300 or even less.

I meant to say County but it isn't a load of crap. Check post 13 please. http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44044-essex-county-update/

30 days is up today. FFL wanted to wait an extra day. I filled out the paperwork with the FFL but am waiting for the day that he can actually fax it. I will be calling him tomorrow to remind him.