Black Ops

NJ NICS

Just got my re-submit approved. 7 calendar days. If you count from the day my original request was submitted though, it was a long 21 calendar days.

I was really bummed that my FFL did not hear back from NICS yet on the re-submit from last week but I got the call on the way home. I'm just happy to bring the new toy home.

3 pistol permits

permit 1- waited 9 days

permit 2- 7 days and still waiting

permit 3- gun is already purchased and i will have to file for and extension i believe due the the un seen added 20 days plus of waiting SMH

What is the average time for a NICS check up there in NJ? Here in FL it is almost instant. Normally I give them my info and they make the call and either get through immediately or wait just a few minutes. NICS is a Federal system, so shouldn't it be the same no matter where you live?

Just got my re-submit approved. 7 calendar days. If you count from the day my original request was submitted though, it was a long 21 calendar days.

I was really bummed that my FFL did not hear back from NICS yet on the re-submit from last week but I got the call on the way home. I'm just happy to bring the new toy home.

Good news. Enjoy the new one :)

Good news. Enjoy the new one :)

Thanks, now I need to get the permit extended so I can pick up the one I got from you. Detective that works in the department is out until Tuesday so I'll call then to find out what the permit extension process is. Crossing my fingers on this one that it is a straightforward process.

What is the average time for a NICS check up there in NJ? Here in FL it is almost instant. Normally I give them my info and they make the call and either get through immediately or wait just a few minutes. NICS is a Federal system, so shouldn't it be the same no matter where you live?

NJ is a Point Of Contact state. NJSP run the checks through the FBI.

Enjoy your stay in FL. We get it.

RTSP is charging you the exact fee it costs us to file the NICS to NJSP $15. The $17 was probably due to the other gun shop collecting sales tax on the NICS fee. But RTSP is correct, the NICS check is not subject to sales tax. It's a common mistake being made in the industry due to POOR guidance by NJ Division of Taxation. Either it was tax or the other gun shop tacked on two bucks for their trouble.

Thanks for clarifying.

It seemed odd to me. I just checked my receipt and its a seperate line item from tax at $17. They must be making a couple bucks on the service. Seems to be a bit of poor taste to me as I had just spent well over $850 in their shop.

That is bogus if that is what they did. Actually when I sell a gun from my inventory I credit $15 against the purchase price of the gun for the NICS fee. Just my small way of saying thanks. But for sure it's not worth loosing a customer for two bucks.

Great. NJ decides to step in between us and the federal NICS system all to glomm another $18 per gun. And now the four girls they have doing it cant handle it. So as a NJ resident you can go to Pennsylvania and buy a gun and that dealer calls the national number and you go home with the gun. But a NJ dealer has to call the NJ number, or fax, and as of today, you cant take gun for 7 days.......7 days!!!!

Another great help for our NJ business owners. How much business can our states government cost our small business owners? The sky is the limit!!!

Why NICS even exists is a mystery to me in NJ, as we all had to go through a complex permitting process, complete with fingerprinting and references to get the purchase license in the first place.

But in case I became a newly-minted felon in the meantime, fine. But why they demand faxing paper and wait is like we are stuck in 1980. For the $16 fees (or more), hire a programmer and get an online check system.

I think you have it backwards. The permit and FPID process is the waste. NICS is okay if done properly as other states do it.

Yes, perhaps. One or the other but not both. Frankly, I'd love to drive down to your shop to have a look at some handgun hardware, but at this point, I just can't bear going through the application process all over again.

Honestly, I don't think this "wait period" is ever going to change. We basically have a situation where there is now a wait period under the auspices of not enough manpower to process the checks. This is exactly what the anti's want. In this scenario, you will have more and more folks going to neighboring states to pick up their long guns where they can get them same day. This does nothing but reduce business for gun stores and FFL's within NJ. If we look at the bigger picture and more long term, this could lead to gun stores and FFL's closing up shop, which is exactly what the anti's want. Then, it's just a matter of waiting for Federal legislation to pass prohibiting FTF transfers and ending any means of purchasing out of state.

I don't really mind waiting a few days or up to a week or so to support a shop thats relatively close by. What I don't see myself doing is driving over 1 hour each way to a shop and having to make multiple trips just for paperwork.

I'll wait a week for nics to support bullethole or caso's no problem.

Tomorrow marks day 7... the final stretch...

But that's the main issue isn't it? We should not have to wait. There is nothing "instant" about NICS right now and it doesn't seem as though anything is being done about it. If everyone starts to accept this as the norm, then it will end up just like the FID process where 30 days is nothing more to most townships than a number.

But that's the main issue isn't it? We should not have to wait. There is nothing "instant" about NICS right now and it doesn't seem as though anything is being done about it. If everyone starts to accept this as the norm, then it will end up just like the FID process where 30 days is nothing more to most townships than a number.

I agree that we shouldn't have to wait. But if the plan is to drive business out of state and close down the local businesses, then we should grin and bear it to some degree to support our locals. To what degree that is is a matter of personal preference. I don't like waiting for 7 business days to pick up a gun I paid for in full, but I try not to let my excitement get the best of me, especially since I can practice with one of the other guns I have around.

If it stretches out to 20-30 days, then I'd reconsider my opinion.

The larger question is who is influencing the NICS workers to essentially force a slowdown?

I will always support local gun shops for my purchases even if their prices are a few bucks more. Hey, these guys have to eat too. They have overhead and a lot of stock to keep on the shelves. If multiple local shops can't get what I am looking for than and only then is when I will shop out of state or online.

I think it is a shame that some people will walk into a shop and "showroom" the items they want. Asking to see this and that and wasting shop workers time and help knowing they will not buy a thing and then buy the exact item online to save $50.

hi guys- managed to pull off a nail biter: I had 1 permit left, expiring on 3/29. the permit was already renewed once. My ffl initiated the nics on 3/23 but the odds were against me as I was only giving nics 5 work days or 6 days to process. I realized that I had a major problem as 3/29 is good friday and nics offices are closed. So, I called the nics office and they agreed to rush it. they called in with an approval on my last eligible day, thursday the 28th. so, if i do any more, i can't wait til the last minute.