NJAlex

FID application started and i have a question.

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have just started my initial firearms application with two p2ps in Washington Township in Gloucester county. I was told it would take about 12 weeks. I get fingerprinted next week.

I am 47 yrs old but am inexperienced with guns but have shot a 9 mm pistol with a friend years ago. I am looking for a gun for HD but also can see myself making a hobby of it and am looking forward to shooting on a range.

I am taking the NRA basic pistol course March 2&3rd in Sicklerville and am Looking forward to it.

So to my questions.

After doing a lot of research I have plan to purchase some type of 9mm semi auto pistol. I am interested in the glock 17/19, s&w m&p 9 and and Springfield xd based on my reading and price range. Does anyone know of a range where I would be able to rent and test these or some of these out? I have heard of Bobs sport shop and Hague's near me but have no expertise with them

Also, any feedback on my pistol choices or general feedback for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex

Hi Alex.... Welcome!

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago and after sooting a few of the same choices I went with the M&P 9 (Just felt best for my hand). Looks like Hagues by you has all of those options in there rental inventory. http://www.haguesgunrange.com/rentals.htm

Thier range and rental fees are a little high compared to some of the other's ive seen but you'd have a chance to shoot some of your options. ($30 for the lane $30 rental). Then again I wouldnt be suprised if you get some invites from some other forum members in the area to meet up and shoot some of thiers.

Good Luck

Shoot both the 17 and 19 and see which one feels better in your hand. Assuming you are not looking to carry it, you don't need a small size. I was in the same boat and ended up going with a G22 (.40 cal) with a 9mm conversion barrel so I could use both 9mm and .40cal.

Thanks for the welcome and info. Dave, yes I see they do have them all listed. Thanks for the link. Ron and Howard, yes I am really interested in the Glocks. I have read so much positive info about them.

Question, are these guns going to be fairly easy to find locally to purchase when I am ready? or will I have to special order? or do you recommend purchasing used?

The Heritage Guild in Easton PA has an extensive selection of guns to rent. I personally went to Ready Aim Fire in Bristol PA, because they had a nice list of 9mm handguns. After I visited though, I might reconsider. I rented 3 guns, USP, XD, and P229, all in 9mm. Of them all, the USP was the only fully working one. The XD slide didn't lock back on the last round, and the P229 slide felt... wrong. It was all gritty and unsmooth when it returned after each shot. As pleasant as it felt to shoot (noticeably softer than all the other guns), I couldn't shoot very well with it. I'm not sure if the guns I tried there gave me a true impression of how they really would perform.

Thanks for the welcome and info. Dave, yes I see they do have them all listed. Thanks for the link. Ron and Howard, yes I am really interested in the Glocks. I have read so much positive info about them.

Question, are these guns going to be fairly easy to find locally to purchase when I am ready? or will I have to special order? or do you recommend purchasing used?

I think it really depends what glock you're going to be looking for. The Glock 19 is certainly going to be the hardest to find right now because they're by far the most popular. However, I saw about 7-10 glocks models at my local shop alone including a Glock 17.

I'm trying to pick up a glock 19 myself once my permits are in (hopefully soon)

RTSP in Randolph NJ. I was in there last week and they had plenty of handguns stock. The crazy handgun permit process in NJ slows things down from flying off the shelves unlike most other states.

Don't know that they have "Plenty" but they have some. I picked up a G22 Gen4 there on Monday and they only had one left with no idea when or if they will get more.

Don't know that they have "Plenty" but they have some. I picked up a G22 Gen4 there on Monday and they only had one left with no idea when or if they will get more.

Plenty of handguns in general... When I was there last week anyway. Glocks like I said (when I was there) they had 7-10 various models.

Was at RTSP tonight and they still have a few glocks around.

NJAlex - If you're anywhere near RTSP I suggest you drop by. They have a glock 17 and 19 for rent. You can shoot both and see if you prefer the full or compact size. They also have the m&p and springfield XD chambered in .40 cal so you can compare how they fit your hand and what not. Since you're waiting for your FPID anyway this is probably the best investment you can make towards your new firearm in the future.

Sorry for the double post :)

I was in RTSP on Sunday. They only had one Glock - that was in pink. In 9mm, they had a Sig 229 and 226, an M&P, and some Berettas. The staff was friendly but mobbed with customers. For a different experience then Jersey, take a nice drive into PA: Dunkelbergers had some Glocks but I didn't take note of the models. They had a variety of other pistols too - worth the drive into PA, especially if you want some ammo and other things.

I was in RTSP on Sunday. They only had one Glock - that was in pink. In 9mm, they had a Sig 229 and 226, an M&P, and some Berettas. The staff was friendly but mobbed with customers. For a different experience then Jersey, take a nice drive into PA: Dunkelbergers had some Glocks but I didn't take note of the models. They had a variety of other pistols too - worth the drive into PA, especially if you want some ammo and other things.

Not sure where you were looking, but they had around 6-7 glocks as of yesterday just before they closed. The pink one you saw was sitting right next to a glock 21 in fde.