Howard

References for FPID / P2P ?

Are the reference questions the same everywhere, or do they vary by town. I never saw what anyone had to fill out for me, but I got one today for a friend and was kind of surprised. The letter I got from the local police stated that "The above applicant has provided us with your name as a reference. Under the NJ Firearms and Weapons Laws, Chapters 39 and 58 respectively, we are required to investigate the applicant. Please answer the following questions. Once you have completed answering the questions to the best of your ability and knowledge, please sign this page at the bottom and return it promptly." Here are the five questions:

1.) Number of years you have known the applicant ___________

2.) Has the applicant ever been arrested or convicted of a crime? ________

3.) Is or has this applicant ever been addicted to alcohol or narcotics? _________

4.) Does the applicant suffer from a physical defect or sickness which would make it unsafe for him / her to handle a firearm? _________________________________________

5.) Personal opinions / comments regarding the applicant. __________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________.

I guess I was very surprised with what they ask. I have no problems with items 1 and 5, but the others? I mean I thought they run checks for this stuff. How the heck am I supposed to know if someone was ever arrested before I knew them? Heck sometimes spouses are drug or alcoholics without the other spouse knowing. As for defects or sicknesses I am not a doctor.

I mean I like the guy and said no to 2,3, & 4 which is true to the best of my knowledge - but how do I really know. Seems kind of silly to ask these things, isn't that what the background and mental health check the state does is about. Is this a standard form, or does each town do stuff differently?

Appropriate responses:

2) I have no clue, isn't that why you run a background check?

3) I have no clue.

4) Which physical defect in your opinion would not allow someone to handle a firearm? I thought the ADA law prevented this kind of bull-oney.

Appropriate responses:

2) I have no clue, isn't that why you run a background check?

3) I have no clue.

4) Which physical defect in your opinion would not allow someone to handle a firearm? I thought the ADA law prevented this kind of bull-oney.

If I answered that way my friend would be shit out of luck. I guess my out is it does say "To the best of your knowledge" :)

I saw the questions that my local police department asked, they asked even more. You are right, how would you really know the answers... many are not things you might discuss over a beer or playing ball.

The only thing the police could hope to do is weed out some nut job that should have known that you were not going to be a good reference. If you know someone is a wacko I don't believe you would say the person is OK to have a gun.

I guess I was very surprised with what they ask. I have no problems with items 1 and 5, but the others? I mean I thought they run checks for this stuff. How the heck am I supposed to know if someone was ever arrested before I knew them? Heck sometimes spouses are drug or alcoholics without the other spouse knowing. As for defects or sicknesses I am not a doctor.

I mean I like the guy and said no to 2,3, & 4 which is true to the best of my knowledge - but how do I really know. Seems kind of silly to ask these things, isn't that what the background and mental health check the state does is about. Is this a standard form, or does each town do stuff differently?

You're answering the questions to the best of your knowlege and belief. Just answer no unless you have reason to believe otherwise. Of course, if you think this the guy is a nut or can't be trusted with a firearm, then you should say so.

The letter to my employer was similar.

How long have you known the applicant.

Y/N

Has the applicant any physical defects which would refuse this permit to me issued.

Has the applicant ever to your knowledge been committed to a mental institution or treatment or observation.

What is the moral character and behavior of this applicant. Is he/she capable of exercising self control?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

State police made me supply two stamped addressed envelopes.

They ended up calling only one of my references via telephone and did not send out the reference letters.

Don't know if it's standard procedure or because I have a squeaky clean background.

My employer? I told the HR person in advance. She said, "no problem." As far as I know they didn't contact them. Didn't expect a problem from my job, especially considering who I work for. ;)

I'm not complaining though...

State police made me supply two stamped addressed envelopes.

They ended up calling only one of my references via telephone and did not send out the reference letters.

Don't know if it's standard procedure or because I have a squeaky clean background.

My employer? I told the HR person in advance. She said, "no problem." As far as I know they didn't contact them. Didn't expect a problem from my job, especially considering who I work for. ;)

I'm not complaining though...

Dang, I told one of my references that he would get a letter. He'll probably crap himself if he gets a call from the police.

Dang, I told one of my references that he would get a letter. He'll probably crap himself if he gets a call from the police.

Oh I got a phone call for someone once. They really do interrogate you. Just make sure your reference answers truthfully and only what they ask.

Has a reference ever been criminally charged for giving a good reference for someone who committed a crime? Have they ever been sued civilly? I think you know the answer. Read between the lines.

The letter to my employer was similar.

How long have you known the applicant.

Y/N

Has the applicant any physical defects which would refuse this permit to me issued.

Has the applicant ever to your knowledge been committed to a mental institution or treatment or observation.

What is the moral character and behavior of this applicant. Is he/she capable of exercising self control?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I thought PD was only supposed to verify employment. Am I wrong?

Has a reference ever been criminally charged for giving a good reference for someone who committed a crime? Have they ever been sued civilly? I think you know the answer. Read between the lines.

I'm slow today. I don't know the answer, although I was thinking about it before. I've sometimes thought it's a bit of an imposition, because no matter how much my friends may know and likely, there is a finite risk that I will do something stupid. That could put them at risk, couldn't it?

How about a bill that specifically insulates someone from liability, provided they answered "to the best of their knowledge?"