bhunted

Letters to Chris Christie

I'd like to start a separate topic as named above. I agree what folks have been saying that we now need to confront Chris Christie. I am not the best letter writer at times, but I tried to convey the following as a more personal letter from the heart and in the best way I could. Here is what I sent this morning. Please add your personal letter below. :)

First off... I'd like to say I like you. You are a lot like me in ways. Like a rhino with the love of food. Hehe… So we have something in common. But I have to ask you a question. (Please do not send me some canned response as I'm typing this from my heart and not a form letter).

First, when did this government federal and local come to the point where the public's opinion only counts to our leaders when it's in their favor? Over the years, I've seen local municipalities use methods of ruling no better than the Nazis. Now it's getting worse when the state and federal government is getting more and more the same way. Since when do we create new laws that will put the bad guys in jail, but criminalize the good guys? Outside of that, what’s the point of protesting in a civil fashion and have it make no difference in hearings because the committee’s minds are already made up no matter what is said?

I’m referring to yesterday’s hearings regarding the 23 laws that the assembly are trying to push through. I wasn’t there but had many comrades there to speak their peace in a very favorable fashion. (But I did listen to the live broadcast.) In fact, there were so many, that they could not fit everyone in the building.

Almost everyone gave very good accounts of how they felt and all with very factual arguments. I think that letting “The People” voice themselves is very important and also part of our constitutional rights. However, when it becomes moot, it aggravates us to the point of total rebellion. From what I understand, your committee sat their most of the time looking like they were bored. Playing with their cell phones, having side chats while our citizens where trying to convey their concerns. When one of our comrades stopped after her first few words and waited for the committee to stop and listen, she told them she waited for them to pay attention. She was then met with them saying her time was up and please let the next person up. Rude? Unprofessional? What the frack?

IF that is the case and they have already made up their minds, then this society is doomed. Our Constitution is nothing more than cannon fodder. “We The People” are supposed to have a say. If this is the case, then why are we a free America? Why do we allow this type of behavior to continue? Why is it when we try to convey our concerns, we are looked at like we are nothing more than plebes or gnats just to be swatted away?

Let’s face it. I don’t want to live in NJ anymore. When it becomes so controlling to the point you cannot survive, who would want to? We have more people per square mile more than almost anywhere in the country. We have the highest taxes and insurance rates.

We have some of the dumbest laws on the books. We have many laws that are not enforceable or even try to be. We also have the tightest gun laws in the country and they want more? The laws we are have are stupid as is. Collapsible stocks for instance. What is the point of that? We also have a law that says how long/short a gun can be. If the shortest distance of a collapsible stock still lets the rifle per say remain equal to or longer than the legal minimum, what the heck is the difference? Really, who creates stupid laws like this?

Anyway, not once have I heard, (mostly Democrats), say what really needs to be done. Stop violent crime by going after the real criminals. Not create more! I’ve owned weapons for over 30 years. Not once have I used anything illegally. Yet, I will be made to look like a common criminal.

What I want is have criminals to stay in jail. Especially, if they commit a crime with a gun. I want the Attorney General to look at the judges in the seats that use a turnstile for violent crimes. You want to talk about loop holes. Let’s close them up in the court system first.

I won’t continue my rant because you’ve heard it before I’m sure. Right now I’m looking toward you for assistance. Being the big tough guy that I’ve grown to like in the forefront, I want you to take a stand and show the country that our NJ government will NOT be like the others and fall prey to such asinine laws. Laws are meant to keep people honest. Not take law abiders to jail for doing nothing wrong. Criminals do not follow laws. After all they are called criminals for a reason. But I am deeply offended of being possibly called a criminal in the future for not complying because I will not! I have done nothing wrong, have a clean record and deserve better treatment from our leaders. I’ve been a volunteer and a paid citizen almost all my life. I’ve had government clearance, been a 1st responder, had many CCW’s and I’ve operated as the law and always within the law. I will not be treated as a common criminal.

At this point I will close in saying what others have said or think. Stop looking like Tyrannical War Lords and listen to common sense. Nothing will change when these laws get put into place. Hasn’t in the past and will not now. It’s just facts.

Thanks for reading this. Looking forward to your sincere, un-canned response.

I tought it was great. It was from the heart. If the "Big Guy" can't take a little joke in the beginning, tough crap. He lets Letterman make fun of his weight and then goes on his show to make matters worse. So he can deal with it.

We all need to write letters to Christie and let him know how we feel about all this bs legislation we are being faced with and urge him to veto it and stick up for the LAW ABIDING citizen, by doing the right thing.

Can't.... already went out. I designed it to lighten the letter a tad right off. But being a big guy myself, (no where as big as he), it's not like calling the kettle black. And if anyone knows in the same shoes... If you can give it out, you better be able to take it. I'm sure he'll chuckle and not take it wrong. As for the word comrade, there is really no other word I can think of. It's the least I can refer to the people here and that showed without knowing that many personally. What else can we be referred to as other than "Comrades At Arms"? Don't have to know each other. Just know we are all on the same side.

Nice letter, if looking for any feedback, IMO is remove the first paragraph on food& rhino and find another term to use over " comrade "

I would replace "weapons" with "firearms".

You may also want to add that the politicians creating these bills have no idea how firearms operate so how can they create laws that make any sense. One of them said "it took 20 seconds for a magazine change." The 20 seconds may not be correct, but I thought it was 20 seconds. Maybe listen to some of the meeting from yesterday and try to find a couple of powerful statements that were made by us.

Maybe shorten it some but, keep it on point. Politicians (or anyone in general) will skip over long letters. Use the same topics, but try to keep it powerful.

I'm not good at writing letters myself, but in college, my English comp teacher would have us turn in papers multiple times. He would start us off with a low grade to encourage us to to be more focused and to the point. I would turn in papers several times for a better grade. Every time I looked it over, I found something to improve, even if it was a punctuation mark.

Don't take my comments in a bad way. It's a good letter. Once you go over it a couple of times, you may find some changes that make it more powerful. Your goal is to get him to really read it. Make it really count.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the opinions and such. It went out already early this morning. But if anyone wants to use everyone's opinions interjected into theirs, go for it. Mine is meant to be personal and foremost to show we are human. Not sound like a total expert. I'm sure he knows about all of our reasoning whether realistic or not. But he really needs to see is that letters are not canned, form mails, or whatever. In today's society, we use email before almost any other method. It can no way be better than a hand written letter to show it's personalization. Lord knows they wouldn't be able to read my scratch. But we can only hope he will read it and respond himself in a personal manner.

I would replace "weapons" with "firearms".

You may also want to add that the politicians creating these bills have no idea how firearms operate so how can they create laws that make any sense. One of them said "it took 20 seconds for a magazine change." The 20 seconds may not be correct, but I thought it was 20 seconds. Maybe listen to some of the meeting from yesterday and try to find a couple of powerful statements that were made by us.

Maybe shorten it some but, keep it on point. Politicians (or anyone in general) will skip over long letters. Use the same topics, but try to keep it powerful.

I'm not good at writing letters myself, but in college, my English comp teacher would have us turn in papers multiple times. He would start us off with a low grade to encourage us to to be more focused and to the point. I would turn in papers several times for a better grade. Every time I looked it over, I found something to improve, even if it was a punctuation mark.

Don't take my comments in a bad way. It's a good letter. Once you go over it a couple of times, you may find some changes that make it more powerful. Your goal is to get him to really read it. Make it really count.

Thanks for sharing!

This is what I am about to send out. Please give me your thoughts before I send it.

Dear Gov. Christie:

I was a staunch supporter of yours in 2009 as the first republican governor of NJ since I moved here. I was extremely excited that with Corzine out of office and you taking over, NJ will finally be on the right track to success.

As you are well aware, there are currently approximately 23 pieces of legislation up for a vote in assembly that have to do with further restrictions to our firearms laws. These new restrictions have nothing to do with reducing crime as they only address cosmetic features of a firearm. These laws don’t address the true problem which is mental health issues and prosecution of criminals that use firearms in the commission of a crime. Cosmetic features such as a pistol grip does nothing to the operation of any particular firearm and magazine capacity does little to deter a criminal but may be the difference between life and death for the victim trying to defend them self.

You know that what everyone refers to as “Assault Weapons” are not “Assault Weapons”. They are semi-automatic rifle that cosmetically resemble military weapons. The resemblance is only cosmetic and not functional. These are NOT fully automatic rifles and do NOT have near the same capability as military rifles.

If you look at the 1994-2004 federal assault weapons ban, it had no measurable impact on reducing gun related crimes. And upon further research you will find that in 2012 less than 2% of all gun related crime was committed with a so called “Assault Weapon”. The only impact that these laws would gave is to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

I respectfully request that, when and if, these bills reach your desk you veto them. We as responsible law abiding gun owners will remember your actions in November and in the 2016 presidential race. If, for some reason, you decide to sign these bills into law, I can assure you that we definitely won’t forget that either.

My Letter tp the Governer sent Sunday I think...Note, I challanged him to a "higher-calling" - esp. last paragraph (I learned this in Copywriting School):

Dear Governor Christie, (With a copy to all my state representatives),

I urge you (not) to sign into law, any new Gun Control law that may get through the N.J. legislation. N.J. already has some of the strictest gun laws in our nation including registration, background checks, and magazine capacity limits. Any further gun-control regulations will not only continue to reduce the ability of law abiding citizens to defend themselves in their homes, but will also degrade our Second Amendment rights to an intolerable level.

Contrary to what Governed Cuomo of N.Y. thinks, the 2ndAmendment is not about “killing a deer”. It is about a free society maintaining those freedoms. This is a right given to us by our Founding Fathers and shall not be taken away. This is a right I’ve defended as a United States Navy Veteran. This is a God-Given right, the right to self-defense. Hitler, Stalin, and other totalitarian governments throughout history have disarmed their law abiding citizens in order to induce total control of society. We must do our part that this shall never happen in our great nation.

The misguided efforts of those that would take our 2ndAmendment rights away should be directed toward mental illness management.

Governor Christie, you must stand as the last bastion in our state, to veto any such additional gun control. Your duty as an American and Governor, to honor the 2nd Amendment goes well beyond N.J.’s boarders, goes well beyond this time, to the many American generations to follow. Let them not look back at us in their day and time and say we failed to answer the call to protect their rights.

Respectfully,

This is what I am about to send out. Please give me your thoughts before I send it.

Dear Gov. Christie:

I was a staunch supporter of yours in 2009 as the first republican governor of NJ since I moved here. I was extremely excited that with Corzine out of office and you taking over, NJ will finally be on the right track to success.

As you are well aware, there are currently approximately 23 pieces of legislation up for a vote in assembly that have to do with further restrictions to our firearms laws. These new restrictions have nothing to do with reducing crime as they only address cosmetic features of a firearm. These laws don’t address the true problem which is mental health issues and prosecution of criminals that use firearms in the commission of a crime. Cosmetic features such as a pistol grip does nothing to the operation of any particular firearm and magazine capacity does little to deter a criminal but may be the difference between life and death for the victim trying to defend them self.

You know that what everyone refers to as “Assault Weapons” are not “Assault Weapons”. They are semi-automatic rifle that cosmetically resemble military weapons. The resemblance is only cosmetic and not functional. These are NOT fully automatic rifles and do NOT have near the same capability as military rifles.

If you look at the 1994-2004 federal assault weapons ban, it had no measurable impact on reducing gun related crimes. And upon further research you will find that in 2012 less than 2% of all gun related crime was committed with a so called “Assault Weapon”. The only impact that these laws would gave is to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

I respectfully request that, when and if, these bills reach your desk you veto them. We as responsible law abiding gun owners will remember your actions in November and in the 2016 presidential race. If, for some reason, you decide to sign these bills into law, I can assure you that we definitely won’t forget that either.

None of the bills address "assault weapons." I would pick an issue addressed in one of the bills and stick with that.

IF he sends one. Took over a week to get a canned response first time. I'm interested in seeing if he'll accept my challenge and not used a canned one.

He can keep the canned form letters. They'd just be redundant.

All great letters, I can't wait to hear the response. That's the important part.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

None of the bills address "assault weapons." I would pick an issue addressed in one of the bills and stick with that.

I was using "Assault Rifle" as a general term that would pertain to A1329, A3659 and A588. I will remove it and be more specific.

All great letters, I can't wait to hear the response. That's the important part.

Thank you for your interest in(place issue here). Bla,bla,bla(generic non committal language) and thank you for your support...

sincerely yours

Self absorbed, detached politician

Dear Governor Christie,

The hearing yesterday, in which 23 gun control bills were ramrodded through, was an embarrassment. Assemblyman Mainor was in way over his head and shamed the committee with his ignorance of basic technical aspects regulated by these bills. At one point, even the state police were openly laughing.

I will ask you to seriously consider vetoing these bills if they come to your desk. No one was able to defend them in the hearing, and you can be sure that no one will defend them at the national level.

There will be many unintended consequences and numerous court challenges. I don't see how that kind of attention can help you in the future.

Sincerely,

The above is from another subsequent thread which the OP advised that poster to use this thread so there are no concurrent or duplicate threads on this subject. OK we write are own letters to the Gov, so what about posting in other forums to get other 2A folks to write sensible letters to our Gov as suggested in quoted post above?

I like to hear pros and cons on this idea, I don't see much of downside unless someone really goes off on CC because there are no consequences to them. I will yield to long time NJGF members before posting elsewhere. If we do it I suggest we list the forums here so we don't have more dupes.

Ok, modified and sent:

Dear Gov. Christie:

As you are well aware, there are currently approximately 23 pieces of legislation up for a vote in assembly that have to do with further restrictions to our firearms laws. These new restrictions have nothing to do with reducing crime, increasing school safety or addressing mental health. These laws don’t address the true problem which is mental health issues and prosecution of criminals that use firearms in the commission of a crime. The legislation that is proposed, such as magazine capacity does little to deter a criminal but may mean the difference between life and death for the victim trying to defend them self. Other legislation, such as the .50 BMG restriction, personally I don’t remember hearing of any crimes committed with a $10,000, 31 pound, 5 foot long rifle. The only impact that these laws would have is to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

Ok, modified and sent:

Dear Gov. Christie:

As you are well aware, there are currently approximately 23 pieces of legislation up for a vote in assembly that have to do with further restrictions to our firearms laws. These new restrictions have nothing to do with reducing crime, increasing school safety or addressing mental health. These laws don’t address the true problem which is mental health issues and prosecution of criminals that use firearms in the commission of a crime. The legislation that is proposed, such as magazine capacity does little to deter a criminal but may mean the difference between life and death for the victim trying to defend them self. Other legislation, such as the .50 BMG restriction, personally I don’t remember hearing of any crimes committed with a $10,000, 31 pound, 5 foot long rifle. The only impact that these laws would have is to turn law abiding gun owners into criminals overnight.

The 50 caliber restriction will ban almost all 50 caliber guns and not just the 50 BMG.

The 50 caliber restriction will ban almost all 50 caliber guns and not just the 50 BMG.

I know, I just wanted to drive my point home. If I say S&W 500 magnum or DE 50AE, these are concealable pistols, not easily concealable, but concealable. A 50 BMG, not concealable at all without a large vehicle. Also, even though it covers all 50 caliber firearms, it's written to look like it's only 50 BMG.

If it helps, here's a summary list of the bills. I'm working on a letter now. I'm doing it as suggested in a previous post. List each bill and note my objection. I'm focusing on the fact that they don't address gun violence or criminals and penalizes those obeying the law.

Below are brief descriptions of anti-gun bills heard by the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee yesterday:

Assembly Bill 588 (Spencer / Coutinho / Deignan) – Prohibits possession of ammunition capable of penetrating body armor.

Assembly Bill 1116 (Fuentes / Spencer) – Establishes 180-day prohibition on purchase of handgun for certain individuals who fail to report loss or theft of firearm.

Assembly Bill 1329 (Greenwald / Quijano / Coutinho) – Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to ten rounds.

Assembly Bill 1387 (Wilson / Johnson) – Permits municipalities to establish “weapons free zones” around schools and public facilities.

Assembly Bill 1613 (Bramnick / Johnson) – Establishes Educational Security Task Force.

Assembly Bill 3510 (Johnson / Vainieri Huttle) – Requires proof of firearms safety training as a condition for issuance of firearms purchaser identification cards and permits to purchase handguns.

Assembly Bill 3583 (Wilson) – Creates task force to explore areas to improve school safety. (pending introduction and committee referral)

Assembly Bill 3645(Greenwald / Eustace / Mosquera) - Requires ammunition sales and transfers be conducted as face-to-face transactions.

Assembly Bill 3646(Greenwald) - Establishes a regulatory system to govern the sale and transfer of ammunition.

Assembly Bill 3659(Barnes, III / Johnson) -Revises definition of destructive device to include certain firearms of 50 caliber or greater.

Assembly Bill 3666(Cryan / O’Donnell / Jasey)- Prohibits mail order, internet, telephone and any other anonymous method of ammunition sale or transfer in New Jersey.

Assembly Bill 3668(Jasey / McKeon / Cryan) - Prohibits investment by state pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing and selling “assault firearms” for civilian use. (pending committee referral)

Assembly Bill 3687 (Stender / Fuentes) - Disqualifies persons named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining a state firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.

Assembly Bill 3717 (Lampitt / Singleton) - Requires submission of certain mental health records to National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

Assembly Bill 3748(O’Donnell / Mainor / McKeon)- Requires background check for private gun sales.

Assembly Bill 3750(Cryan / O’Donnell / Quijano) - Establishes regulatory and reporting program for all ammunition sales.

Assembly Bill 3754(Cryan / O’Donnell / Quijano) - Requires firearms seizure when mental health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others.

Assembly Bill 3772(Eustace / Wagner / Vanieri Huttle) - Requires that firearms purchaser identification cards display picture and mandates that firearms purchaser identification cards be renewed every five years.

Assembly Bill 3788(Rible / Dancer)- Codifies regulation exempting firearms records from the state open public records law and abolishes common law right of access to these records.

Assembly Bill 3796(Mainor) – Provides ninety-day window for persons to dispose of certain unlawfully possessed firearms.

Assembly Bill 3797(Mainor) – Requires law enforcement to report certain firearms information to inter-jurisdictional electronic databases including the national Integrated Ballistics Identification Network.

Assembly Committee Resolution 180(Greenwald) – Urges President and Congress of United States to enact legislation enforcing stricter firearms control measures. (pending introduction and committee referral)

Assembly Bill R143(Quijano / Cryan / O’Donnell)- Expresses support for Attorney General's gun “buyback” program.

Assembly Bill R144(Oliver) – Urges Governor Christie’s Administration not to apply for annual exemption from requirements of federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008. (pending committee referral)

Please provide proofreading, feedback, suggestions, etc... I tend to be wordy, as some of you might agree:

Dear Governor Christie,

In the wake of the horrendous shooting in Connecticut, an event that left all Americans deeply shocked and heartbroken, the media along with some elected officials are both attempting to exploit this horrific crime in order to pursue their anti-gun and anti-freedom agendas.

I would ask you to please oppose all efforts by any elected officials to place any bans on semi-auto rifles and pistols, or magazines that are widely and responsibly used by millions of Americans. I would also urge you to oppose any legislation that would seek to ban mail-order ammunition, or the sale, gifting or other transfer of firearms, ammunition and accessories between private individuals. And, I would urge you not to support the bills proposed to expand on and establish gun-free and knife-free zones. All of these proposed laws will do nothing, and historically have done nothing to curtail crime and acts of violence. They will not stop criminals who don't follow the law, either. In fact, these laws are designed to both antagonize and put the good people in our society, the law-abiding, tax paying citizens that you serve, at a disadvantage. Please do not let the time limit for these bills to go into law go by. Please exercise your executive power and veto these bills to protect both your rights and the rights of the people that you serve.

The bills that are being considered will not make our children and all our citizens safer, and they will not deter violent crime. In addition, they will not stop mentally insane individuals from hurting others. These bills do not reflect a "common sense" approach to the violence that plagues our communities because they do not address the root causes of violence. The do nothing to increase penalties for violent criminals, and they do nothing to address the revolving-door policy of releasing thugs back out on the street. They do not focus on identifying and treating those with mental health concerns. Instead, they are designed to further interfere with the natural right to self-protection, and that of private property. These laws are designed to both place further controls over law-abiding, and moral citizens and to make the process of legal gun ownership in this state even more arduous.

As an executive, maybe you feel there needs to be more control over the populace, however, history shows time and again the abuses of a government that has too much power over its citizenry. Individual firearm ownership keeps the power in the hands of the people, and not the government, and at the very least, these potential laws set forth a very dangerous precedent. And, these proposed bills in many instances are making those very citizens and decent people that they should be designed to protect a new class of criminals for exercising their right to keep and bear arms. The people should not be made into victims and they should not have to contend with this unconstitutional, irresponsible, and agenda-driven legislation. I will state this again, Criminals will ignore these laws, and only citizens that have respect for our laws, only they will be at a disadvantage and further victimized by those very criminals and mentally unbalanced individuals that walk amongst them.

It seems misguided that the aim of these bills moving through the legislature, instead, is meant to disarm the public, and leave good people unable to defend themselves and express their God-given freedoms. That is not a "reasonable" agenda from a government that respects and works for its people. Responsible and good people far outnumber those that would criminally use firearms. It is important to remember that firearms as tools in the hands of good people save lives every day.

The State of New Jersey in particular does not need ANY new laws regarding the sales, possession, or transfer of firearms or ammunition, and I wanted to take the time to personally let you know I am against all introduced legislature, and I hope you will take this into consideration. Before new laws should be established, the laws on the books should be both enforced and revisited. In fact, the citizenry and government officials should be aware of what they are. As evident in some of the legislature meetings, the assemblymen are passing additional bills and they are either being disingenuous or they aren't even familiar with the plethora of gun laws that are already on the books. That is irresponsible and does not reflect a reasonable, common sense and balanced approach.

And, since you are the chief executive officer of our state and a former prosecutor, I call you to demand our prosecutors to start charging criminal, repeat offenders for their gun crimes, instead of plea-bargaining with them and often letting gun-crimes go through the cracks. I call for you to look into the violent media that continuously bombards the people, and I ask you to look into expanding mental health treatment. And, I urge you to reexamine many of the ridiculously written gun laws the people are subjected to.

Please step back from seeing this as a way to further your political career, and please try to put your personal feelings toward firearms in check. You have the ability and right to have lots of armed security for your own protection and for those that you love. All law-abiding and mentally fit Americans should be able to have that same right, and we should be allowed to own and utilize the same tools that our police use, and even the same type that the criminals walking amongst us illegally possess and use against us. Please consider the implications carefully and listen to the voice of the people.

Thank you for your time and your service to our great country. I urge you to veto these irresponsible bills, and to meet with the our citizens and NJ2AS.

Most respectfully,

Mine has a little different tone, any comments would be appreciated

Dear Governor Christie,

Please veto any gun control bills that may be passed.

When you were a federal prosecutor you worked with facts and evidence. The fact is New Jersey has some of the strongest gun laws in the country right now and the laws being passed in other states just bring them up to the level of New Jersey.

We already have magazine restrictions, firearms id cards, fingerprinting, background checks, two references, 20+ question applications and an initial mental health check. To purchase a handgun in NJ requires a permit to purchase from the chief of police which requires a full background check, mental health records check, two references and 20+ question application. Getting a P2P can take anywhere from 30 days to many months. Hand guns are registered when acquired. There is no gun show loophole in NJ because there are no gun shows. We also have a one gun a month law. In the tragic case in Toms River the owner of the gun will soon find out about New Jersey’s tough child access law. Over 37 named guns fall under the NJ assault weapons ban. Guns can only be transported under exemptions to the law while traveling from shop to home and range to home. BB, air and pellet guns are considered firearms in NJ.

The evidence is clear that NJ is the leader in gun control. You can safely say that NJ all ready has some of the strictest laws in the country and to pass anymore laws would be too burdensome and expensive for the state to enact. Thank you for time.

Sincerely,

Fred