svt3183

10 rd limit grandfather clause?

CURRENTLY, the legislation as proposed does NOT include grandfathering.

I'm not for grandfathering, not because I don't think it's a good idea, but I'm not for grandfathering because this bill is total BS.

We must not compromise on this. If anything, I wish someone would propose a bill to remove entirely the 15 round limit and let the two bills go at each other...

And who is gonna buy 15 rounders in another state when they can get 20 and 30 rounders.. And the baseplates and blocks on Pmags are all epoxied up and pinned so .... what happens now? They become trash because they can't be repinned and no one is gonna buy them...:huh:

Molon Labe

When the 1990's AWB went into effect reducing to 15 rounds, no grandfathering. I doubt it will be any different this time. Sorry, citizen loose 'em or repin 'em.

There are other alternatives...

I know that the bill was amended before being released to the Assembly, but I didn't catch what the change(s) were. From my reading of the bills text without the amendments this bill only targets magazine capacity in semi-auto rifles with no grandfathering clause

Oh, you didn't catch the amendments (which not one person asked about). Let me fill you in: They fixed the glitch that would have caused this bill to only apply to rifle magazines. It now applies to all magazines. They also exempted retired law enforcement (so Mainor and Cryan won't have to worry about replacing their magazines). Sounds fair, right?

As for "not compromising", it really ain't up to us, is it. I agree that we should keep writing, emailing, etc. to oppose this bill, but in the practice of law there is something called arguing in the alternative. You can ask for one thing (like no change to the mag limit) but also ask for something else if the first thing doesn't happen (if you are going to change the mag capacity limit, which I oppose, at lest include a grandfather clause).

Not to be defeatist, but I think chances are good that this bill will pass. The only hope would then be a Christie veto. I don't see Christie outright vetoing the change from 15 to 10 -- leaves him subject to too much flak. He could, however, say, "I'd sign this bill but can't do it because it takes property of law abiding people with no compensation or turns them into felons. Add a grandfather clause and I'll sign it, just like the federal AWB had." The ball would then be tossed back to the legislature, he looks like a hero because he stood up to the anti-gun forces and appears "reasonable", but still has cover because he agrees to sign the bill as long as its "fair" to everyone.

I could definitely see it going that way.