DLF

My email to the 9th District

Senator Connors

Assemblyman Rumpf

Assemblywoman Gove

I have been a resident of Forked River since 2005, and of New Jersey since 1988. I am a Vietnam era veteran who swore an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, in 1972. I possess a valid New Jersey Firearm Purchasers Identification Card. I have also applied for a concealed carry permit in the state of Virginia, where I have a second home. I have voted in every election that I was eligible for since 1972.

Sadly, after listening to yesterday’s public hearing of the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee, I am certain that I witnessed the deaths of both individual liberty and democracy in this state.

The original intention of the Committee Chairman was to vote on all of the bills before the Committee and only then allow for public comment. Once the Chairman was called out on this despicable approach, he relented and pushed the remaining votes until after all public comment. It was obvious, however, that the Committee had already decided to pass all the bills to the Assembly, and they did so, despite the hundreds of speakers, some of whom were never allowed in the room to speak, who voiced reasonable and factual opposition to the deluge of “feel good” legislation.

I deplore recent tragic events, as I am sure that you do, but none of the proposed legislation would prevent such an attack in New Jersey. “Gun Free” zones merely provide a target rich environment with little resistance and do not prevent slaughters. Many of the recent accounts related in the national press occurred in “Gun Free” zones. Further reductions in magazine capacities and restrictions on the type of firearms that are commonly in use in this country are unconstitutional, as they infringe upon my right to defend my family as I see fit.

The 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is not about hunting or sport shooting. It is about the right of the people to provide for both their own safety and that of a free state. It does not give us that right, rather it prevents the government from infringing upon it. The SCOTUS has held that individuals have the right to bear those arms that are customarily in use for their personal defense. The Federal Courts, most recently in Illinois, have also held that law-abiding citizens have the right to carry concealed weapons outside of their home.

What I require of you is the following:

1. Please state where you stand on the protection of the 2nd Amendment.

2. Oppose all legislation that only further infringes upon the rights of law-abiding citizens and support only that legislation that increases penalties upon criminals and prevents possession of firearms by the mentally unfit.

3. Actively work towards passage of “Shall Issue” legislation in the state of New Jersey as regards Concealed Carry Permits.

Please do not respond to this message with a form letter, rather take the time necessary, as I did, to respond personally.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Respectfully Yours,

Well, it took a while, but here's the response that I received:

March 18, 2013

RE: Opposition to Gun Control Measures Before the State Legislature

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxx:

This is in response to your February 14, 2013 E-mail to our 9th District Legislative Office regarding the gun control package introduced in the State Legislature and recently considered by the Assembly as an infringement upon your Second Amendment rights. Your outreach is greatly appreciated as our Delegation always welcomes input from constituents actively engaged in the legislative process, especially on such a key issue that involves constitutional rights.

In reviewing your correspondence, we understand that as a Vietnam era veteran who, through his service to his country defended the U.S. Constitution, you are irate with how the Assembly Law and Public Committee handled the February 13, 2013 hearing during which the gun control legislation was considered. You took particular issue with who the Committee’s original intent was to vote on the legislation first and then to allow for testimony to be offered from the public. Furthermore, you were angered by the number of persons who attended the hearing that were not permitted to testify.

We appreciate your efforts in writing us on this important matter. Committee hearings are routinely held on Mondays and Thursday. However, the Assembly Law and Public Safety’s Committee hearing on the gun control package was held on a Wednesday. One can only presume that the Majority Party Legislative Leadership deviated from the normal scheduling process due to the large number of bills on the agenda and the anticipated public turnout. We find it very interesting how, given the number of gun control measures that were on the agenda, that more time was not allotted for citizens to testify on a matter as deeply important as their Second Amendment rights. If a Committee’s agenda contains more than 20 bills, the majority of which pertain to individuals’ constitutional rights, then it is Committee’s responsibility to ensure that the people are affordable ample and equal time to testify. Perhaps, the groundswell of intense public opposition to the legislation was greater than the Committee members and Legislative Leadership initially anticipated and, therefore, these Legislators were not fully prepared to deal with the large contingent of persons who wished to testify. Regardless, as elected official with a deep respect for our constituents’ Second Amendment rights, we certainly understand your frustration and discontentment with Committee process in this specific circumstance.

As you know, our Delegation apprised you of our positions on the gun control measures in a prior correspondence. However, since your February 14 correspondence relates to this same issue, we would like to reiterate that Assemblyman Rumpf and Assemblywoman Gove opposed the passage of the following gun control legislation which were voted on by the Assembly on February 21, 2013:

A588: Prohibits possession of ammunition capable of penetrating body armor.

A1116: Establishes 180 day prohibition on purchase of handgun for certain individuals who fail to report loss or theft of firearm.

A1329: Reduces maximum capacity of ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

A1387: Permits municipalities to establish weapons free zones around schools and public facilities.

A3510: Requires proof of firearms safety training as a condition for issuance of firearms purchaser ID cards and permits to purchase handguns.

A3645: Establishes a regulatory and reporting program for ammunition sales and transfers.

A3659: Revises definition of destructive device to include certain weapons of 50 caliber or greater.

A3668: Prohibits investment by State of pension and annuity funds in companies manufacturing, importing, and selling assault firearms for civilian use.

A3687: Disqualifies person named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.

A3717: Requires submission of certain mental health records to National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

A3748: Requires background check for private gun sales.

A3754: Requires firearms seizure when mental health professional determines patient poses threat of harm to self or others.

A3772: Requires that firearms purchaser identification cards display picture; mandates that firearms purchaser identification cards be renewed every five years.

A3796: Provides 90-day window for persons to dispose of certain unlawfully possessed firearms.

A3797: Requires law enforcement to report certain firearms information to interjurisdictional electronic databases, including the National Integrated Ballistics Identification Network; requires State Police to report certain firearms trace data.

ACR180: Urges President and Congress of United States to enact legislation enforcing stricter firearms control measures.

Regretfully, we must inform you that all of these measures passed the Assembly and, subsequently, were sent to the Senate for consideration. It is important to note that, in representing the interests of gun owners, Assemblyman Rumpf and Assemblywoman Gove voted in favor of A-3788 which seeks to protect the identities of firearms purchaser ID card holders and handgun purchaser permit holders from public disclosure. This legislation was acted upon in response to a recent case in which a newspaper in New York published an online map of certain firearms permit holders in that state. The newspaper was able to create the map through public records requests for the names and addresses of these permit holders, which information is public record under New York law. Additionally, please be advised that the Assemblypersons voted yes on A-1683, which would make it a crime of the fourth degree for a person to purchase, own, or possess ammunition if the person has been previously convicted of certain crimes, including, but not limited to, burglary, sexual assault and terrorism.

Again, thank you for your outreach on this extremely important issue. Please be advised that our constituent files have been updated to reflect your strongly held views on gun control legislation. As always, we stand ready to serve the constituents of the 9th Legislative District.

CJC/BER/DCG/js:dd

I'm glad they read your note instead of just giving a form letter response.

This^^^^^

All I received from my reps was a canned letter. And when I wrote to one assembly person outside my district I received a canned latter full of spelling errors and typos.