blackh8552

Think muzzle brake was done wrong. Help? edit: update on op

I had a muzzle brake pinned and welded and don't think the smith did it right. It's timed right, and pinned, but is slightly loose.

I don't mind it if its ok. But I thought there should be no movement at all?

I feel like a noob. Is it right or not.

final update: So after reading my post the nice folks at mastodon offered to fix the other shops mistake. Nick took the time out of his day to fix my issue. He had me take pictures of how the other shop did not drill down enough on the barrel and of course showed me how to use a crush washer. It was a very amusing time at the shop. If you guys ever need anything I can say go nowhere else.

There should be absolutely no play with the muzzle device at all. What would happen if it moves enough that the bullet grazes it as its coming out of the barrel? Not good. Please tell us who did this for you.

There should be absolutely no play with the muzzle device at all. What would happen if it moves enough that the bullet grazes it as its coming out of the barrel? Not good. Please tell us who did this for you.

Exactly what Lalo said its the main concern

As everyone said. Definitely done wrong. You'll be amazed how much you can compress that crush washer. I've done a whole 360 degree of turn on one and have heard it can go a bit more. The washer's gotta get crushed before pinning. You're not going to strip the thread.

Send it back and get it done correctly or get your money back and go somewhere else. This is a ridiculous error on the smith.

so the ffl was nice and worked with me, told me with the crush washer with the brake would not time right and to keep the brake on right and tight it would need either a bigger crush washer or some peel washers.

he is ordering peel washers and will fix it for me next week.

so the ffl was nice and worked with me, told me with the crush washer with the brake would not time right and to keep the brake on right and tight it would need either a bigger crush washer or some peel washers.

he is ordering peel washers and will fix it for me next week.

He's going old school with the peel washers - that's fine. Good to see that your smith is taking care of the problem.

Edit: Just noticed the timing comment. I disagree that it won't time right as there's definitely enough crush left for at least a full turn.

Yeah, glad to hear he's making right. I don't think he knows what he's talking about either. When I was hand tightening a brake, it clocked exactly to position when the washer started giving resistance. If I didn't turn it the full 360, I wouldn't have believed it. Some smiths would even pre-press the washer in a vise before installing it. Just seems like a pretty simple job made complicated.

So after reading my post the nice folks at mastodon offered to fix the other shops mistake. Nick took the time out of his day to fix my issue. He had me take pictures of how the other shop did not drill down enough on the barrel and of course showed me how to use a crush washer. It was a very amusing time at the shop. If you guys ever need anything I can say go nowhere else.