gunnarsport

DEEP ammo shortage the new norm?

Hi,

I was wondering if this horrible national and local deep ammo supply shortage will become the new normal? Will stock ever return to normal in the near future?

Is there any truth at all that the government possibly will be controlling ammo supplies in the future to all gun owners?

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks

No, I think we are currently seeing the return of a normal supply/demand relationship for ammo.

For a few weeks following Sandy Hook, you couldn't find calibers like .223, 9mm, or 22LR anywhere, for any price. But lately, I've been able to buy them at near-normal prices, albeit limited quantities. I don't have an AR, so I haven't bought any .223, but just last week I bought 650 rounds of CCI Minimag .22 at about $.10/rd, and 500 rounds of 9mm at about $.25/rd. I jumped on those because they're hard to find, but every day I keep seeing similar deals being posted- but they do sell out quickly.

I think that several things are happening: people who hoarded ammo are either reaching their storage capacity and/or credit card limits; manufacturers have increased capacity; the threat of a federal AWB has subsided; and people have finally realized just how silly it is to panic buy things like .22LR.

Over the next few months, I think we'll see shelves starting to fill up again. In the meantime, keep checking ammoseek several times a day!

and people have finally realized just how silly it is to panic buy things like .22LR.

I don't think it's silly at all, especially in NJ. If they make it extremely hard to buy ammo (like requiring background checks like they now do in NY,) we can always reload, because the antis don't even know it exists (until someone at the hearing taught them about it. Doh.) .22 is the one thing you can't reload, so makes sense to stock up. Also makes sense, because no one wants to burn through the stuff that might get banned until they know the truth.

.....500 rounds of 9mm at about $.25/rd. ...!

Where did you find a deal like that? I've been looking a lot on line and every place I find is totally wiped out of 9mm, except for a few that have the very expensive stuff in boxes of 20. Even as a member at RTSP it comes to $0.375 a round with taxes at member prices. Let me know where I can find some for twenty five cents.

Where did you find a deal like that? I've been looking a lot on line and every place I find is totally wiped out of 9mm, except for a few that have the very expensive stuff in boxes of 20. Even as a member at RTSP it comes to $0.375 a round with taxes at member prices. Let me know where I can find some for twenty five cents.

Both were on Natchez. I got Independence for $13/50 and S&B for $14/50. Neither are a great deal by pre-panic standards but nowadays it's a steal! New ammo seems to get posted between 9a-12p EST, is usually gone in a few hours.

Anyways this whole ammo shortage is a self perpetuating situation. When you go to the store and see empty shelves, of course you're going to buy up all you can when you find some in stock. If you know that there will be ammo available when you want it, you're less likely to buy at every opportunity. Remember trying to get gas after Sandy? It was a nightmare until the state started rationing, and you could feel better about knowing you could get gas when it was your day. Thus, shorter lines and wider availability.

Stock is a bit better, prices for vendors like AIM are going up now because of lack of supply for example. I have gotten 7 cases of 7.62 x39 from them since this started with shipping each was $272.00, got a case last week for $299.00 to my door. Their contracted agreement was met at the lower price, Russia rasied the price on new stock and that gets passed on to the customer. On the sellers that went right to retarded prices like $800.00 to 1k for a case of 55gr pmc xtac they are coming down simply because there arent enough idiots out there willing to spend that kind of money anb most of those vendors never had the out of stock sign on their products because they just were not selling. So there is some balance but availability is still low and demand is still high. Some smaller vendors are being given a limit from ammo manufactures a few cases of each caliber and that's all. So if the vendors are limited and then they buyers are limited that means the manufactures are limited by either material or lack of support to meet the demand.

One other observation. Pistol ammo never brought the big bucks on gunbroker or anyother auction site. Yes hard to get since it was sold out but no one was paying $300 for 250 rounds of wpa 9mm. The money is being spent on rifle ammo. .223, 7.62x39, .308 and .22LR is still fetching hugh prices for the right brand. 7.62x54r never went up and many vendor have is back in stock for the same prepanic prices, 5.4x39 although hard to find is only fetching $30.00 to $60.00 more per 1080 round tin.

This just ended on Thursday night, I am going to assume that the buyer having over 500 positive

transactions and 0 negative is most likely a gun shope or range who needs to have ammo in stock in

order to keep eatting dinner.

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=329100955