02gixxersix

Phone meeting with Assemblyman Charles Mainor.

Are any of you going to talk to him in person? You need to bring recorders and record the conversation. We need to bring out in the open how he may actually disagree with some on the bills that were forced through and any controversial issues that happened. The media will not expose them, we must.

Project Veritas were at the NJ2AS meeting in January giving tips and instruction in how to expose the gun control hypocrites. Check out their site. You may get some tips.

http://www.theprojectveritas.org/

Make him support their decisions and get it on tape. We need to expose them.

Thinking back to the person who mentioned having it in a more formal setting, what about requesting a "round table discussion" (not a debate,) between him and Cryan and two carefully selected people from our side. Scott and Frank seem the logical choices.

If we can ever get him, in a televised format, to say "these won't make us safer," that will be a huge win. I'm sure that in a properly moderted forum, they can do that.

My fear about too many of us meeting him privately is that it's essentially coaching him on how to react in public. Let him learn...on TV...at the hands of masters.

On Twitter, Lou Greenwald has been shouting claims of "Common Sense" as it applies to the proposed gun control laws specifically A3687, which prevents those on the Terrorist Watch Lists from getting an FID & Purchase Permit. This is just a silly waste of time, given that there are 2500 names on the No Fly List, and 90% of those named are not US Citizens. Therefore, only 250 are US Citizens, how any reside in New Jersey, and how many of those are trying to get a Pistol Purchase Permit? Further, there are no physical descriptions just names listed. Ted Kennedy was on a no fly list for years. So was Mikey Hicks, an 8 year old that had been patted down and interrogated. There are problems associated with who is in charge of creating this list, and how do you get removed if you're there erroneously. This article http://bit.ly/12tO2BT describes many of the issues with just this proposed law, which Greenwald is touting as dripping with common sense. Maybe in an alternate universe, but here on Earth this make no sense whatsoever. It is a massive waste of time and legislation and it is based upon using a list which is based upon conjecture, not facts. Is this how we decide to deny rights? Based upon who we "THINK" might be a bad person?

This is ONE of the 24 laws. There are issues with every one of them, but this seemed like a good place to start. Don't even get me started on A3676 which requires in home inspection and psychological evaluation prior to getting your FID & Purchase Permit. Once again, WHO is the arbiter of who qualifies and who does not? Aaarrrgghhhhh

Did you just say what I think you just said? Now it that had been caught on tape, it would have been priceless.

So, if they won't curb gun violence, then why are they risking their cushy jobs to ram these through?

It's good to share these responses, because others will probably hear them again.

If anyone hears that, please turn that into the focus of the entire conversation. Why are you passing laws, against huge resistance, and risking years and millions of dollars of litigation, that do nothing good?

Yup, it almost threw me off my game for a second! I was like "WTF, I can't believe I just heard that!"

He may tell you he doesn't agree but what was his vote on these bills? Did he vote in favor?

His voting record can be found here. http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/membervotesall.asp and he voted yes for all bills put forth on Wednesday. It just doesn't feel right based on some of the reports from those who have spoken to him recently. What's in it for him to do this? But if you get his time, be respectful, make the points that we vehemently disagree with the impact to lawful firearms owners from all the bills. Alcohol causes death, but background checks, drink limits, sale limits, and internet restrictions aren't required. Cigarettes cause death, but background checks, usage limits, sale limits, and internet restrictions aren't required. Any number of death causing items fall into the same category, yet firearms are EVIL.

I am amazed that not one single person in this thread, or at the hearing, raised the one point that should embarass these self-serving political hacks more than anything else: WHY ARE THEY EXEMPTED FROM THE MAG LIMIT BILL. The proposed amendment would exempt retired LEO, such as Mainor and Cryan. WHY??? There is no logical reason for this, even if you accept their own faulty logic. Let's go through it step by step:

They are arguing that because of Newtown, anything more than 10 rounds presents too great a public safety risk. That argument is faulty for a large number of reasons: 1) there is zero evidence that even if Lanza had 10 round mags the result would be any different (Cryan's analysis at the hearing was absurd -- Lanza had plenty of time in that situation to shoot and swap mags repeatedy) ; 2) even if there were some evidence that fewer people would have been killed had he used 10 round mags, there is also the counterveiling consideration that being limited to 10 rounds could cost someone their life in a self-defense situation; 3) a future shooter could use any number of other weapons and accomplish the same result -- if God forbid someone goes on a shooting rampage with a pump shotgun will we ban those next??

But, let's just accept their rationale for a moment. If anything more than 10 rounds is dangerous because a maniac or criminal could get their hands on one (eg by stealing them or taking one from a family member as Lanza did), then NO ONE SHOULD HAVE THEM. Why is anyone exempted?

So, we should be arguing: 1) This bill should not be passed at all because there is zero empirical evidence that it will improve public safety (conjecture and emotionalism is not enough); 2) if you do pass it, there must at least be a grandfather clause so that law abiding people don't have their property taken and in any event everyone -- LEOs and citizens -- should be treated equally.

After listening to the hearing this week, and listening to my girlfriend play the replays over and over, I felt like the world was ending.

Then I found this thread, and see that its not just NJ2AS setting up rallies, and hearings, but that individuals on this forum are actively getting face time with politicians, and even if it's "fake", these politicians are at least acting like they are willing to listen. There may be hope yet? In either case, I'll continue writing letters, donating to NJ2AS, and attending hearings and rallies as I can. Thanks everybody for keeping the spirit up... that is very important.

I emailed my local assemblywoman, and gave her my contact info, explaining that I want to hear what her views and goals are with the laws she's proposed. Will let you guys know how that turns out.

Just had an excellent 30 minute phone conversation with Assemblyman Charles Mainor. He seemed extremely receptive to the position of the pro-gun crowd, even though he admittedly was not in the past. I think the fact that he got a chance to hear from some level-headed gun owners made a huge difference. He promised to do what he can to put forth reasonable legislation that would actually reduce gun violence, instead of the currently proposed bills that simply make life more difficult, and potentially more expensive for the law-abiding gun owner. He mentioned harsher penalties for crimes committed with firearms, a look at ways to hold doctors accountable for over-prescribing potentially dangerous medication for mental illness, and a more aggressive approach in getting illegal guns off the streets. He specifically said that rifles are not the problem, and magazine limits do absolutely nothing. Good guy in my book just for taking the time of out his day to listen to the other side of things.

Just had an excellent 30 minute phone conversation with Assemblyman Charles Mainor. He seemed extremely receptive to the position of the pro-gun crowd, even though he admittedly was not in the past. I think the fact that he got a chance to hear from some level-headed gun owners made a huge difference. He promised to do what he can to put forth reasonable legislation that would actually reduce gun violence, instead of the currently proposed bills that simply make life more difficult, and potentially more expensive for the law-abiding gun owner. He mentioned harsher penalties for crimes committed with firearms, a look at ways to hold doctors accountable for over-prescribing potentially dangerous medication for mental illness, and a more aggressive approach in getting illegal guns off the streets. He specifically said that rifles are not the problem, and magazine limits do absolutely nothing. Good guy in my book just for taking the time of out his day to listen to the other side of things.

If this is the case then he clearly is on the right track.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I know people don't believe him but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I cannot vote for him and he knew that in advance. He is making a trip to south Jersey to the gun clubs to talk to other people who cannot vote for him. He also said he doesn't think any of this is going to go anywhere because he doesn't think Christie will sign anything.

I'm sorry but I just don't trust him (or any politician). He's just trying to make nice with us, but I'm sure Speaker Oliver will put his balls in a vise come next Thursday when the bills hit the full Assembly for a vote and like a good little boy he will vote the party line.

Gave you the song and dance, and you are almost buying it. He is an embarrassment.

“They’re trying to discredit me in some kind of way because I agreed with the gun deals that I pushed through,” he said. “We’re losing babies. And if the best they can do is come back and say, 'He shouldn’t have Big Bootie Freaks,’ then I said, ‘Hey, you shouldn’t have guns.”

Assemblyman Charles Mainor

Reading all these replies and I wonder are your people kidding me.

End of the day he pushed the bills through his committee. He was going to do it without comment from the floor.

Now he's telling you, and people are buying it, he will try to go after the criminals, the bills are out of his committee and off to the democratically controlled house. I wonder if it has the votes, and them its off to the democratically controlled senate. The firewall is a RINO who will do what will get him the most votes in the fall.

Remember to win NJ all you really need to do is win the areas of Paterson, Newark, Jersey City and Camden. Not strong republican areas and the people who are proposing these bills are from that area.

Tell me CC will kill his chances in a national election and lose the heartland? Mitt won the heartland and last I looked barry is still put president.

Wake up people. You are being played like a cheap fiddle.

I sent him a letter and he called and left a message for me today. I will call him back tomorrow and make it known that the opinions that i have nlt only.come from a legal gun owner and a police office within his district. I only hope he really does listen to what he hears and just doesn't play the I'm on your side game to appease a constituent

Wake up people. You are being played like a cheap fiddle.

I haven't spoken with him yet, but after reading the replies here, and remembering the testimony I listened too all day long during the Assembly Hearing, I tend to agree with NJMike.

I think its great that he's listening, now, but he should have listened sooner, and absent him changing his votes to NO when the full assembly takes up the issue, I can view this "cooperation and understanding" as nothing more that damage control and lip service.

Perhaps we underestimated his political savviness..

He is pissing on your face and telling you it's raining.

Reality check: it is not raining. He is pissing on your face.

He is not a good guy for taking time out of his paid full-time job and paid part-time job to meet amicably with you in the hopes you go back to your NJGF friends and tell them he is a good guy.

If I could possibly trust that man any less right now I would.

I'm curious what email he sent to the individuals that met with him. This is the one I received:

I have read your email and I thank you for contacting me. Let me start by saying I don't want to hurt anyone, and I do understand the passion that many citizens have towards this issue. I would be the first to admit that I don't look at gun ownership as you do, and it is important that I listen to you. I did try, but at the meeting the crowd began to disrespect me and at that time I stopped paying attention. By responding that way, I may have missed the testimony that would have allowed me to see things differently. I want you to understand that I too am very passionate with my stand on guns, and I continue to reflect on the babies we lost in Connecticut. Since that incident, I tend to look one way, and I shouldn't. So I'm asking you to please give me a call and allow me to listen to your concerns and I can then explain my mind. All I ask is if we see that we can't agree, please let us end the conversation by agreeing not to agree. I'm asking you call my office, if I'm not there please leave your number and I'll return your call. 201-536-7851

Respectfully,

Asm. Charles Mainor

bs. Look what he said in the nj.com article.

He's playing a good game, and he's going to go back to his masters and tell him what productive conversations he had.

Don't give him the ammunition.

bs. Look what he said in the nj.com article.

He's playing a good game, and he's going to go back to his masters and tell him what productive conversations he had.

Don't give him the ammunition.

So bring it up if someone talks to him. Call him on it.

"I appreciate you taking the time to talk with me and other gun owners. It SOUNDS like you are trying to get educated on both sides of the issue. I'm concerned by your quotes in the NJ.com article that state "...." however. How do you rectify your two conflicting statements? Now that claim to see the futility of these bills will be voting against them on Thursday? How will these conversations change how you act?"

Don't trust him. But talking isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Well its politics. There may be hope. Ive negotiated with people in the past who hated what I was standing up for.

Some of them turned out to be pretty decent some of them won me over to there side.

But for any of that to happen there has to be a dialog. Maybe its genuine or maybe he has his sites on higher office.

My gut feeling is that he basically comes from an area where the democrat always is king and in that hearing he was not king and it shocked him. It might have made him realize there actually are people outside of his district and the assembly and they vote.

And although they might not be able to vote against him some of his fellow assemblyman are sweating big time over this.

I think he realized they opened Pandora's box. We are organized and motivated. We have things now like this forum that allow us to set a plan in motion. Remember tomorrow is fax your rep day. Lets get it on !!!

My gut feeling is that he basically comes from an area where the democrat always is king and in that hearing he was not king and it shocked him. It might have made him realize there actually are people outside of his district and the assembly and they vote.

And although they might not be able to vote against him some of his fellow assemblyman are sweating big time over this.

You're ascribing human emotions to a politician - time for a reality check.

Gents--this is a political ploy. Nothing more. Much like all of the skewed "opinion polls" that the media keeps drilling into everyone's heads that "most NRA members favor...."

Mainor's motive is to use his conversations with all of us as ammunition AGAINST us. He can then say that he "reached out to many citizens in the state to find common ground, and the interactions went well". He's playing himself up to be the good guy who tried to compromise, and we were still all the evil gun owners who outed him for his inappropriate Facebook page, and rigidly will not agree to "common sense" (the man repeated those propaganda words no less than 4 times in his opening remarks-BEFORE ANY "DISRESPECT" had the opportunity to arise) of any sort.

This agenda was crafted, and all of these bills were written a LONG time ago--they just needed the necessary tragedy to grandstand their cause.

Make sure that he knows that you are one of many that will be voting and doing their best to remove him and his liaisons from office. Let him know that there will be repercussions from the safety committee hearing. Make him feel the heat.

Yep, he's sorry and he's listening, now... When it doesn't matter. He voted yes for that legislation to pass committee, and that legislation is still going to a vote on Thursday, and you can be sure that he will vote yes on every single one of them. If he votes no, I'll change my tune, but I wouldn't trust him.