Howard

Home Defense, what Ammo for .40 cal

I was wondering what anyone keeps loaded for home defense. Is this Hornady Critical Duty Ammunition 91376, 40 S&W, FlexLock, 175 GR, 1010 fps a good choice or would you guys recommend something else. Is JHP legal to use for this purpose, or is a No No?

Speer Gold Dot 155gr

Fast with lots energy.

Curious why you suggest 155 rather than 175gr. Is it for concern of over penetration and collateral damage. I would have thought the more energy the better, but perhaps not?

Curious why you suggest 155 rather than 175gr. Is it for concern of over penetration and collateral damage. I would have thought the more energy the better, but perhaps not?

The speed makes the bullet expand quicker upon impact, hence creating a larger wound channel and transferring more of the energy to the target. And yes the bullet will not over penetrate whereas heavier slower moving bullets have been shown to.

I feel its all about speed and energy and not weight. Example = 55gr 5.56

I would like to get my hands on some of this stuff: 1500fps and 675ft lbs, thats 357 magnum territory

http://www.underwood...intboxof50.aspx