Sign in to follow this  
MeanderingCuban

Beging hunting

Hi guys,

Now that I am a firearms owner I have an interest in hunting. I grew up in Hudson County, NJ so I have never hunted before. How would I get started and who do I contact to show me the ropes?

Firearms wise I have a Remington 870 express "tactile". Would I need a shotgun with a longer barrel?

Good question I didn't even think of that yet. Uhmm.. I guess stuff I can eat and hunt for my family if SHTF. I have no idea where to start.

Go to the nj fish and wildlife website http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/

Look at the hunter's safety classes (you need this before hunting in most states) take both the rifle/shotgun and the bow hunter's safety classes (usually a full day on the weekend in the summer/early fall). Then, practice shooting an 18 in stadia. You will need to find a place or places to hunt and pick up your license for this locations. You can go out of state as well with this, each state is different, so go to each site and grab their annual hunting regulations booklet, this gives you the dates of seasons, acceptable hardware (shotgun, rifle, semi auto, handgun, bow, spear, etc...) learn the rules (laws) for the area you intend to hunt.

There is no need to get a new gun for hunting unless you want to. Rifled slugs down your remmie will do the job, just practice. You can upgrade if you want to in the future.

Pm if you have any other questions.

you can also check out http://www.huntercourse.com/usa/ and take the course online. This will teach you the basics that you need to know. Once complete, find a exam date at the link ECShooter provided and you can just take the test, or do the field walk (i recommend this) and then take the test.

the nice thing about the online course is you can go back and ref it any time you want, and you can learn from your home..

Go to the nj fish and wildlife website http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/

Look at the hunter's safety classes (you need this before hunting in most states) take both the rifle/shotgun and the bow hunter's safety classes (usually a full day on the weekend in the summer/early fall). Then, practice shooting an 18 in stadia. You will need to find a place or places to hunt and pick up your license for this locations. You can go out of state as well with this, each state is different, so go to each site and grab their annual hunting regulations booklet, this gives you the dates of seasons, acceptable hardware (shotgun, rifle, semi auto, handgun, bow, spear, etc...) learn the rules (laws) for the area you intend to hunt.

There is no need to get a new gun for hunting unless you want to. Rifled slugs down your remmie will do the job, just practice. You can upgrade if you want to in the future.

Pm if you have any other questions.

Thanks ECShooter, I'll check out the sites. Won't rifled slugs become illegal in NJ soon due to our friends in the Trenton? Or is it a rifled shotgun. Sorry for my ignorance I'm new.

It all depends in how the actual law passes! Who knows these days, muzzle loaders could become illegal. If rifled 12ga is illegal, we are back to buck shot.

If the rifled slug is illegal they will have to end or modify the bear hunt. Personally I have doubts that the 50 cal ammo ban will pass.

As far as the hunting course, NJ Fish and Wildlife has a DVD and workbook that you need to do before you sign up for the onsite hunting courses, all of which are free of charge.

I recommend that you do all three (shotgun, rifle and bow) - you will need a compliant bow in excellent condition (must have a minimum draw weight) and you will need to prove proficiency with the bow whereas the shotgun and rifle are strictly testing for safe handling (you have to try to hit the target but it's not a requirement like the bow is).

Rojasj, please fill in your profile information so we know where you are located and then you might find guys who are located close to you who may offer to help you. Obtaining your hunter safety card is the first step in hunting legally in NJ. Personally, I think that instead of teaching kids about sexual organs in third and fourth grade, they should have to take the hunter safety course... But I digress.

Rojasj I am not far from you. I am in the Medowlands. I mostly bird hunt, but I do deer hunt also. There are great opportunities to waterfowl hunt in this State. This is a major flyway for many species. Take the hunter safety course offered by Fish & Game, take the test and you are good to go. If you have any questions you can PM me. I am always willing to teach someone how to hunt.

Hi ROJASJ, I'm originally form Hudson County ans just started hunting last year for Deer. Going to try for Turkey this yr and Birds this Fall too (might be biting off more than I could chew but it all interests me). Some good advice so far about taking the free Hunter Ed classes. You need to start there, the use the Fish & Game guide to help you find a place to hunt. Caso's in Jersey City has copies of the guide and the booklet and DVD you need in order to take the class. Those are all free.