SafetyHit

Where Is The NRA In This State?

Honestly you have to think about it from their position. They are fighting a federal attack on the 2nd AmendmAnt right now. NY, NJ, California, Mass are losing battles. We have NJ2AS thank God, but I am pretty sure the NRA isn't too worried about using its resources to sway individual state governments right now. It sucks but that's why I will be moving south when my enlistment is up. Unfortunately, this just isn't the state for people like us.

NRA calls me every single day since i let my memebership lapse...I finally blocked them.

Easiest way to fix that is change your contact number to XXX-555-1212 on your online profile before you cancel/lapse. I've never used a real phone number with the NRA and subsequently I've never received a call from them. They do fill up my PO Box every once in a while

I said it once and I'll say it again. After the dust settles the only organization that will see any of my money is the NJ2AS. All others know exactly what to do with themselves.

I know it not a popular view but it's my money and it will go where I want it to go.

Agree 100 %

When I see more done for jersey then I will

renew again.

New Jersey is a black hole for funding gun rights. In normal states (i.e. NOT NJ, NY, Cali, Mass), much of the population is pro-gun or neutral on gun issues. In New Jersey, gun owners are a minority. Pro-gun sentiments are a minority. We are a welfare state, siphoning money from the productive to the non-productive. The politicians who support and espouse this philosophy are almost NEVER in favor of public gun ownership because it is a sign of self-sufficiency, and would mean they would be out of a job. The NRA is smart enough to realize that they would be throwing good money after bad when it comes to New Jersey. I am happy that my dues are spent at the national level, where they will actually do some good.

I have to agree with you on this. Having moved to Florida it is a whole different ball game. People here are very pro gun or at least not anti gun. Money does no good if you do not have the voters. No politician is going to be afraid of the NRA when the majority of people are anti gun. At least here they can sway enough people to form a majority. I do not see that happening in CA, NY, MA and NJ. In general I find it a little odd living among young men who grew up with very little gun restrictions and carrying a concealed gun since they were 21. Hard to explain but many consider not having a gun on them as being vulnerable. Some of the panicked posts when they have visit NJ/NY unarmed are humorous at times. It basically is that guns are ingrained into the culture here and it is not in NJ.

With all these fiddles playng it's easy to forget Rome is burning

This isn't Sophie's Choice.. support the effort at both the state and the federal level!

Was that message intended for the NRA or us? Hope it was the prior.

While some of you guys are honorable this is becoming a tired old story. Rome is indeed burning, one province at a time. Notice today's events in Colorado.

NJ needs to speak as one to the NRA. As much as I hate to say it I can't give them any more money and I will not renew until they become active in restoring what was unjustly taken from us here, this while they stood by and watched.

In general I find it a little odd living among young men who grew up with very little gun restrictions and carrying a concealed gun since they were 21. Hard to explain but many consider not having a gun on them as being vulnerable. Some of the panicked posts when they have visit NJ/NY unarmed are humorous at times.

I spend most of my time on a national forum (which caused me to miss the rally...lesson learned) and I can't tell you how predominant this attitude is there. I'm talking about people squirming with discomfort if they have to take their weapons off to visit their child's school or visit any other gun free location. Grown, accomplished men who absolutely dread a brief visit to a non-CCW state as though they were visiting Mogadishu unarmed while known to be carrying diamonds.

Funny in a way but also pretty dopey from most of our standpoints. Rather glad I'm not so reliant on a gun for personal security to be honest.

In defense of the NRA I'll say this they have become way more active on judicial appointments in the north east.

They see that arm twisting is not going to do it. So they are using there clout where they can to see if they can get one or two Judges who believe in the constitution in these parts. Remember the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Dont sell them short.

They stink for NJ but they still are fighting the good fight.

They stink for NJ but they still are fighting the good fight.

They may be doing just that, but I can't see how this philosophy of turning your back on one "lost" state after another is going to end up in anything short of disaster down the line.

It's kind of like their continued decision to have Wayne do the public speaking, both short-sighted and counterproductive.

Was that message intended for the NRA or us? Hope it was the prior.

While some of you guys are honorable this is becoming a tired old story. Rome is indeed burning, one province at a time. Notice today's events in Colorado.

NJ needs to speak as one to the NRA. As much as I hate to say it I can't give them any more money and I will not renew until they become active in restoring what was unjustly taken from us here, this while they stood by and watched.

Us.

I don't understand these ridiculous expectations for the NRA to be involved in NJ. Their lobbying at the federal level is essential. Why would they waste their money in a state occupied and operated by the Democratic Party machine? They'd be better off using that money for toilet paper.

Are you aware that the ANJRPC is our state chapter of the NRA? Do your frustrations lie with them? You should have brought it up at the rally in Trenton last week. In my opinion their leader did a damn good job arguing against all those bills at the hearing.

Funny in a way but also pretty dopey from most of our standpoints. Rather glad I'm not so reliant on a gun for personal security to be honest.

Which standpoint is that, that you've generously included most of us in?

I don't understand these ridiculous expectations for the NRA to be involved in NJ. Their lobbying at the federal level is essential. Why would they waste their money in a state occupied and operated by the Democratic Party machine? They'd be better off using that money for toilet paper.

With all due respect, you really do not understand what it is that you're talking about. The NRA had the option to assist with Heller but declined because they though it couldn't be won. If you don't know that then you need to read up before commenting in their defense so aggressively. Toward the end they stepped in to a limited extent in order to save face, yet not a single members' dollar was utilized to help Heller.

Which standpoint is that, that you've generously included most of us in?

You know exactly what I'm talking about. I want to carry but I don't constantly fear for my life if I can't. I have also developed the ability to physically defend myself because the only thing I can count on to save me at the spur of the moment is me.

With all due respect, you really do not understand what it is that you're talking about. The NRA had the option to assist with Heller but declined because they though it couldn't be won. If you don't know that then you need to read up before commenting in their defense so aggressively. Toward the end they stepped in to a limited extent in order to save face, yet not a single members' dollar was utilized to help Heller.

In your haste to argue against things that I did not say, I'm surprised you didn't bring up that most of their candidates lost in the last mid-term election.

Which national forum is it that you spend your time on? I like to read.

Anyway, I am not defending them aggressively. I am saying not to discount them.

People are making absolute statements, i.e. "I won't send them any of my money". And I'm arguing that it is worth it to send them a MERE 35 DOLLARS a YEAR to support them in ADDITION to supporting NJ-specific 2A groups.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. I want to carry but I don't constantly fear for my life if I can't. I have also developed the ability to physically defend myself because the only thing I can count on to save me at the spur of the moment is me.

I know exactly what you're talking about? Don't put your words in my pie hole and respond as if they're mine. That's great you have developed the ability to physically defend yourself without a firearm. The weak and old should take note! And I'm glad that you're satisfied with relegating the RKBA to the luxury of "wants". Continue to ridicule those who depend on a firearm for personal safety. Well done.

Which national forum is it that you spend your time on? I like to read.

Wow, ok. I'm just under 5,000 posts using the same name at M4Carbine, of which I've been a member since '07.

I know exactly what you're talking about? Don't put your words in my pie hole and respond as if they're mine. That's great you have developed the ability to physically defend yourself without a firearm. The weak and old should take note! And I'm glad that you're satisfied with relegating the RKBA to the luxury of "wants". Continue to ridicule those who depend on a firearm for personal safety. Well done.

You talk of truth distortions, then post this? I can see you aren't someone to have further discussions with regarding the matter.

Just to clarify gentlemen, this is not about bashing the NRA and it's not about a non-existent return or our monies here in NJ. It is about holding them accountable to a perfectly reasonable extent.

If this is not reasonable then they are welcome to clarify why they feel as though they can't help fund our just legal battles in any way, this so we can collectively better understand their function as the citizens they apparently choose to strategically neglect.

Us.

A couple of e-mail blasts to their NJ membership encouraging them to attend the two rallys we had would have sufficed. It wouldn't have taken much effort and not a large expense. Is that a ridiculous expectation??

They didn't even do that. Complete silence.

Are you aware that the ANJRPC is our state chapter of the NRA? Do your frustrations lie with them? You should have brought it up at the rally in Trenton last week. In my opinion their leader did a damn good job arguing against all those bills at the hearing.

Yes, I'm very aware that the "if rallys are your thing, by all means attend" ANJRPC is the NRA NJ chapter. Birds of a feather...

I spend most of my time on a national forum (which caused me to miss the rally...lesson learned) and I can't tell you how predominant this attitude is there. I'm talking about people squirming with discomfort if they have to take their weapons off to visit their child's school or visit any other gun free location. Grown, accomplished men who absolutely dread a brief visit to a non-CCW state as though they were visiting Mogadishu unarmed while known to be carrying diamonds.

Hey, I used to live in Marlton. Best place I lived in NJ and I have lived in 5 different towns there. You hit the nail on the head. To me, if I leave a gun at home I may feel the same as if I forgot to take my cell phone or driver's license. Something I would like to have on me for an emergency but something whose absence will not make me uncomfortable. Those that have been carrying since they were 21 feel a whole lot differently. I tend to get into arguments with guys who calls us northerners stupid for living in a place where we cannot arm ourselves at all times. I always ask them who is the braver man, the guy who faces danger unarmed or the one that needs to carry 2 or 3 guns to feel safe just to pick up a bottle of milk from the local supermarket? Heck, they carry guns here to get the mail from the mailboxes in front of their homes, when working in their gardens, and even when showering. When a gun is the solution, it seems that no problem is too small. I have been banned from local forums for defending those of us who do not base our major life decissions on whether we can carry a gun or not and remind people that the odds of them ever needing a gun are tiny and actually having to fire it even smaller. I will call out someone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet because it is too hot here but tries to tell me that he carries two guns, not to be macho or out of fear, but because he believes in defending against risks, no matter how small. Even better when they do not own a fire extinguisher or highly rated for safety car. :)

You talk of truth distortions, then post this? I can see you aren't someone to have further discussions with regarding the matter.

Annoying, isn't it? I don't like it when someone belittles another person for exercising their Constitutional rights and implies that those who depend on firearms for their personal protection are dopey.

Just to clarify gentlemen, this is not about bashing the NRA and it's not about a non-existent return or our monies here in NJ. It is about holding them accountable to a perfectly reasonable extent.

I agree but I don't think it is appropriate to vote with your wallet here. I personally don't think they should spend a dime in NJ but I do think they can be more effective on the national level. I agree with your opinion that Wayne LaPierre (sp?) needs to be replaced as the public image.

A couple of e-mail blasts to their NJ membership encouraging them to attend the two rallys we had would have sufficed. It wouldn't have taken much effort and not a large expense. Is that a ridiculous expectation??

They didn't even do that. Complete silence

Yes, I'm very aware that the "if rallys are your thing, by all means attend" ANJRPC is the NRA NJ chapter. Birds of a feather...

I remember the email and I was infuriated. It is my understanding from the rumour mill that they thought the rallies would be underwhelming and/or portray NJ gun owners in a bad light. I think a lot of us have expressed frustration at their decision there but I haven't heard an official response.

However, I was extremely impressed with Scott Bach at the 2/13 hearing/rally and that dissipated most of the pent up anger I was feeling about the ANJRPC ignoring the first rally. I was also pleased with Frank Fiamingo and others from the NJ2AS at that hearing. I am curious how the ANJRPC and NJ2AS shared the burden of this event. Between the 2 organizations we can certainly present a formidable team should the opportunity arise to argue in proceedings not held in kangaroo court.