iRescue

Coyote lurking...

So my friend has a coyote lurking around his property.

His wife says she saw it a number of times hanging around their yard/driveway. (their land backs up to a large park)

It apparently has been acting very weird and making kills (rabbits/squirrels/rodents) near the house.

If he were to see it on the land acting funny...does he:

A) Call F&W and wait around

B)Shoot the thing with a .22 or shotgun.

What would you do in this situation? He's worried something will happen to his dogs when they go out.

Contact the local PD and/or the State Squirrel Cops every time you see the animal. Create a paper trail of instances that this animal approached your residence. In the event you are forced to take action and destroy the animal yourself you will have a record of how often it has been a nuisance and danger to you family and pets.

I am not a hunter, but I believe that NJ amended some of its laws to allow small caliber weapons (.223) to take nuisance animals like coyote and fox during certain times of the year and while hunting other animals. Something to look into.

I guess the concern is, he will call fish and game and it will take forever for them to do something.

Is it illegal to dispatch a coyote on private land if its acting unusually (rabies is the concern, although I've told him is rare to see a coyote with rabies)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

How is it acting weird? Do they know what normal coyote behavior is? Makeing kills near a home is not unusual for them, rodents especially are drawn in and near homes in winter time. Just because someone fears something that dosent mean it should be killed. If it is acting agressively towards people that is a different story and something should be done. If they are fearing for the dogs safety walk them on a leash. If i was in that situation and the coyote was acting strange like showing signs of rabies or distemper i would contact fish and wildlife and report it. They do not take forever it has been my experence that they come out right away. You are not trained to judge weather something has rabies or not. if any animal is suspect of being rabid the brain has to be sent out to be tested and you cant do that either its best to leave it up to the pros.

So my friend has a coyote lurking around his property.

His wife says she saw it a number of times hanging around their yard/driveway. (their land backs up to a large park)

The coyote probably has a den close by.

It apparently has been acting very weird and making kills (rabbits/squirrels/rodents) near the house.

Perfectly normal. The coyote has found an area where no one bothers him/her and food is plentiful.

If he were to see it on the land acting funny...does he:

A) Call F&W and wait around - X

B)Shoot the thing with a .22 or shotgun.

What would you do in this situation? He's worried something will happen to his dogs when they go out.

Good reason to worry.

You could post a plea on NewJerseyHunter.com and ask a trapper to come get it for you. They are still in season for trappers. Much more silent than a firearm going off in the neighborhood, which probably isn't a good idea unless you are in a very rural area.

Or call F&W. This is posted on their website as for "what to do." : http://www.nj.gov/de...coyote_info.htm

"If you observe coyotes in the daytime that show no fear of humans or if a coyote attacks a person, immediately contact your local police and the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 908-735-8793; outside of normal business hours call the DEP Hotline at 877-WARN-DEP."

We had a bunch of yotes the summer before last. I could hear them each night up in the Ramapo mountains.

They killed several dogs and cats in the area. One even broke into a house to give birth in a mans home.

Last summer nothing no howls no dogs missing no sightings. Still there is plenty of game for them to eat.

I think a bow hunter got'em. Alot of wealthy people in the area so maybe a hired gun?