mp123

New NY Gun Law

So how does it work.

I have two properties in NY state.

Stinks that I can't bring my pistols there.

How will it work with my "assault" rifles and 10 round magazines.

I assume that I have to get 7 round magazines.

Can I still bring in my "assault" rifle if I am a NJ resident?

Does the 7 round apply to my "evil" .22?

At this point I'm going to probably sell my seasonal home and another piece of property I own in NY state.

Was seriously thinking of retiring in NY state but at this point I don't see that as an option.

Stinks.

assault weapons now have one required "evil feature" instead of 2 to be considered an assault weapon..

if you have an "assault weapon" that has detachable 10 rd capacity, it can only be filled to 7 rounds (or any other weapon with detachable multiple round capacity)

only .22 that is exempt is ".22 caliber tubular magazines"..

if i were you, i wouldnt bring any of it there at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_SAFE_Act

So how does it work.

I have two properties in NY state.

Stinks that I can't bring my pistols there.

How will it work with my "assault" rifles and 10 round magazines.

I assume that I have to get 7 round magazines.

Can I still bring in my "assault" rifle if I am a NJ resident? No

Does the 7 round apply to my "evil" .22?

At this point I'm going to probably sell my seasonal home and another piece of property I own in NY state.

Was seriously thinking of retiring in NY state but at this point I don't see that as an option.

Stinks.

The provision for continued ownership of "assault" rifles is for residents to register them in order to legally possess and use them. (Remember, when a N.Y. resident dies now they cannot transfer the registered firearm to a legal heir. It needs to be sold out of state or turned in to police.)

There is no provision for a non-resident to register a gun, and who would if there was such a thing? You cannot shoot your "fill-in-the-blank" rifle if it fits their description as defined in New York anymore. However:

• Your Ruger 10/22 in standard configuration loaded with 7-rounds in the magazine is fine.
  • Your M1 Garand with the bayonet lug ground off with less than 8 rounds in the en-bloc clip is fine. (Those new seven-round clips will be coming out shortly. Grind the bayonet lug? That's sacrilegious.)
  • Your M1A with flash suppressor removed, threads ground off the muzzle end with 7-rounds in the detachable magazine is fine. (How you affix a front sight after that exercise and keep it pretty is a chore for the kitchen-gunsmith.)
  • Your AR is toast.

The law is extremely onerous. I suggest you call 1-855-529-4867 where the NYSP will be happy to give you a detailed if not terse response of "no." (That's the story I got.) We can only hope that the lawsuits filed will rectify some of the issues.

This issue may be a little more complicated than you think. If your primary residence is NJ and your guns are here you may have a problem bringing them into NY legally. The law states that you cannot use a firearm that does not conform to the individual states laws. For example, a person from Colorado cannot take an fully automatic firearm into NJ and use it just because it's legal in Colorado. You can transport guns but those requirements are different.

If you were a NY resident you are legally allowed to own and maintain unaltered 10 round magazines after April 15th but you are prohibited from loading more than 7 rounds in that magazine. How that is going to be enforced is way beyond anyone's imagination. The law also allows NY residents to purchase and own 10 round magazines up until April 15th when it will become illegal to purchase a 10 round or more magazine in the state. So probably every NY resident with a gun is buying every 10 round magazine they can find before April 15th.

The big "BUT" is you are technically a NJ resident (I assume) and therefore did not purchase the magazine under NY law and are not subject to NY law exemptions. I am no lawyer but you may find that bringing a 10 round magazine into NY from another state is the same as bringing a restricted firearm into another state and therefore considered illegal. IMO

How is only allowing you to load 7 rounds in one that can hold 10 stop a criminal from loading 10. The law makes less than no sense. Are Democrats really this stupid?

You can do this with 10 round mags until April 15th 2013 and then you have to have the mags pinned to 7.

Stinks.

You should probably send a letter stating this to Cuomo and the dems in charge up there.

How is only allowing you to load 7 rounds in one that can hold 10 stop a criminal from loading 10. The law makes less than no sense. Are Democrats really this stupid?

They're not stupid. They know exactly what they're doing.

You don't actually think this is about crime, now do you?

You can do this with 10 round mags until April 15th 2013 and then you have to have the mags pinned to 7.

Incorrect. No need to pin the mags. The mags can stay at the ten round capacity, but you are prohibited from loading more than 7 rounds unless you are at an incorproated range or participating in competition recognized by the NRA or IHMSA, in which case you can load 10 rounds.

(re: http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq)

Not sure where this leaves USPSA or IDPA, although I would imagine most of those competitions take place on an incorporated range, thus are legally exempt from the 7 round limit.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Incorrect. No need to pin the mags. The mags can stay at the ten round capacity, but you are prohibited from loading more than 7 rounds unless you are at an incorproated range or participating in competition recognized by the NRA or IHMSA, in which case you can load 10 rounds.

(re: http://www.governor....gun-reforms-faq)

Not sure where this leaves USPSA or IDPA, although I would imagine most of those competitions take place on an incorporated range, thus are legally exempt from the 7 round limit.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Correct.

The April 15, 2013 date references magazines sold after that date in the state will only hold seven rounds. (Right now, 10-round mags. are as scarce as hen's teeth in N.Y. It will still be legal to possess them. However, those with grandfathered 15, 20 & 30 round magazines are awfully upset.)