mikelets456

NJ amends gun bill to also include knives?

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=218&Itemid=1

February 19, 2013: A bill working its way very rapidly through the New Jersey legislature has just been amended without a hearing to include "any dangerous knife" to proposed enhanced "weapons free zones," creating a dangerous trap for the unwary citizen that could result in fines and jail time for possession of common pocket knives or utility knives within those "zones." We need EVERYONE to WRITE TODAY to help stop this insanity!

(For details click on Read More >>>> below)

New Jersey Assembly bill A1387 would permit municipalities to establish huge swaths of "weapons free zones" around schools, parks and public facilities within which possession of "any dangerous knife" would be prohibited, under penalty of fine and imprisonment. WRITE TODAY to help stop this insanity! (see below)

I've read the bill 3 times. Very confusing but I think it eliminates the ability to drive around with a long gun. It expands some exemptions for traveling to/fro to include gun exhibitions but the list seems inclusive. It gives exemption to this if you complete a training class.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A1500/1387_R1.PDF

Includes a ban on pepper spray. This will turn women into criminals simply for having mace in thier purse and going for a jog or picking the kid up from day care.

It allows pepper spray if you're 18 or older.

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal

self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air.Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

I've read the bill 3 times. Very confusing but I think it eliminates the ability to drive around with a long gun. It expands some exemptions for traveling to/fro to include gun exhibitions but the list seems inclusive. It gives exemption to this if you complete a training class.

http://www.njleg.sta...500/1387_R1.PDF

No more trunk gun? I need to read this in the morning. Not cool.

It allows pepper spray if you're 18 or older.

Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal

self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air.Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

This bill would create a new section. They would have to amend that exemption or it would not apply to the new sections created by this bill.

The noncompliance is going to be staggering

Most people will just continue to carry their pocketknives without ever hearing about this bill. And for the most part, it won't be enforced, because the line between a knife as tool and weapon has always been blurry. The scary thing is, if they don't like you, it just adds years onto a jail term.

Was a trunk gun ever legal? I though you are allowed to carry only back and forth between the home and range or gunsmith. At least that's what they old us at the ANJRPC orientation.

I have a FPID in my name so I may have a long gun in my vehicle at any time and LEO can verify my FPID over the radio. But that is a discussion that has run its course many times here :)

Crazy lawmakers....get ready for November.

The problem with mentality is, the law will already be passed. And RARE is the law that gets un-passed in the future. Rare. "We'll get 'em the next election" just ain't cutting it anymore.