Sign in to follow this  
k3c4forlife

USA Made Threaded Muzzle Brake for AK Questions

The Romy G parts kit that I just bought for an AK build has a threaded barrel. I need to get rid of the evil threads by permanently attaching a Muzzle Brake. I have a few questions.

What is universally accepted as a Muzzle Brake vs a Flash Suppressor in NJ?

Is the following procedure considered "permanent attachment"? I will drill a hole through the brake, thread it onto the barrel and then spot weld it in place.

Does anyone have any USA made recommendations based on past experience with shooting them?

This is a very subjective area for many people, especially for AK's.

First off, there are two generally accepted ways of permanently affixing the muzzle device:

1) Pinning/welding

2) Silver solder

The former seems to be more common due to the nature of being more "reversible" should you want to change the muzzle device.

Second issue, difference between a flash suppressor and brake is essentially the muzzle diameter at the end of the device. If the hole is significantly bigger than the actual bore of the barrel itself, it's generally accepted as a FS. If the hole is the same size as the barrel's, it's a brake. Most manufacturers will specify if they classify on the BATF laws of whether or not its a FS or brake.

Third, are you a purist or more of a functional type person? If you're a purist you will want a slant brake on that rifle. That seems to be the one that's most prevalent on them. Sometimes you'll see thread protectors on them as well. Here in NJ i wouldn't do that. Might as well get something you like that is at least functional being that you have to butcher the device to be compliant. You will see some people put AK74 brakes on them. Don't do this. They simply do not work. The Standard threading of an AK47 is M14x1 LH threads. A couple US companies make M14xLH 74 brakes. Problem is they lack the "chamber" needed to actually function as a brake. So basically, its a heavy piece of metal that doesn't really do anything on the end of your rifle.

The TRUE functional Bulgy 74 brake has M24x1.5 RH threads and has the chamber. Problem being, you'll need an adapter which I'm told can be tough to pin. M14x1 LW to M24x1.5 RH. It will also render your pin/detent mechanism unusable. You can put a new FSB on it but that's getting into some work.

If you don't go the slant brake route, go with something like a PWS comp. They seem to be top of the line. Best of all, they thread right on and can be pinned pretty easily. They are by far the MOST functional on that rifle.

I've also heard great things about the FSC47, and its classified as a break rather than a flash hider. I plan to pick one up for a future build. If you want to go with something more classic, ak-builder sells US made slant brakes and muzzle nuts.

If you don't have a welder, or know someone with one and want to do it yourself, Silver Solder is a relatively easy alternative. ARFCOM has a great thread about silver soldering. If you want to take it off later you can heat the old break up and take it off. You do need to make sure that you buy high-temp silver solder if you go that route to make sure everything is legal. You can use a Mapp gas torch from Home Depot or WalMart.

I've also heard great things about the FSC47, and its classified as a break rather than a flash hider. I plan to pick one up for a future build. If you want to go with something more classic, ak-builder sells US made slant brakes and muzzle nuts.

If you don't have a welder, or know someone with one and want to do it yourself, Silver Solder is a relatively easy alternative. ARFCOM has a great thread about silver soldering. If you want to take it off later you can heat the old break up and take it off. You do need to make sure that you buy high-temp silver solder if you go that route to make sure everything is legal. You can use a Mapp gas torch from Home Depot or WalMart.

Jeff47

Do you have the link for the thread on silver soldering?

Check out http://www.gogunusa.com/brakes/talon762x39.html. I’ve ordered on from them, looks bad ass and sounds promising, but have not yet shot it as i am still waiting for fid card, also be aware that it says it has "good" flash suppression, but it strictly advertised as a brake. Looking at mine i can see that the exit diameter hole isn’t any bigger than the barrel inside diameter, keeping with the generally accepted test for differentiating between a flash hider and a brake