Johnk-NJ

Will NJ go to 10 rounds IYHO?

I am 100% certain it will pass the Assembly today -- we just don't have the votes there. I think there is a 30% chance it gets hung up in the Senate if Sweeney pushes back. I think a veto by Christie is 50/50.

We all like to talk about how 10 rounds may not be enough for self-defense, how it's easy for an assailant to swap mags or use a different type of gun, etc. All true. But I don't think those arguments hold anywater with people who are anti-gun (like most of the legislature) or neutral (as I believe Christie to be). I continue to believe that it is the lack of a grandfather clause -- the fact that this bill will result in the de facto confiscation of property and possibly rendering legally owned guns useless if no 10 round mags can be found -- could provide the cover for Sweeney and/or Christie to oppose it. If it is amended to include a grandfather clause as a compromise I am 100% certain it would pass.

PDM I think you are absolutley correct. We are not talking about logical people, who use good sound judgement, fact based decisioning, or look at both sides of the fence. We are talking about people looking to capitalize on multiple tradgedies, to push legislation through that in their eyes make them look good. I don't know about some of you, but in my line of work if I made decisions like this I would be unemployed. How anyone could logically look at the majority of these proposed laws, and say this will stop crime, is beyond me. By saying "This could save just one life" is not an argument. It is like saying, if I don't let my child learn to walk, then they will never fall and bump their head so i am going to prevent them from learning how to walk.

Reality and what a preson thinks are two different things. Show me the facts where the 10 round limit or any other piece of the proposals have worked, then we can talk. Until then, it is just Sam's Hot Car Lot talk, and it is embarassing as an American to see how many people actually buy into this foolishness. I know I am just preaching to the choir, but it makes me sick to think about the sacrifices our Patriot's made to provide and protect our freedom, and just how careless and wreckless some people are in preserving that freedom.

And keep in mind that every single mag capacity bill, on the Federal level, in Colorado, even NY (!) had a grandfather clause. Only NJ legislators see fit to give their citizens, who for years have carefully abided by the current law, the big "FU" and take their property or turn them into felons at the whim of a few clueless politicians (who conveniently exempt themselves from the law).

Again, I am not by any means ok with this bill even with a grandfather clause -- I think it is stupid do nothing legislation. But the lack of such a clause should make it a nonstarter for anyone who cares about fundamental fairness and common sense.

Oh okay, how many are in consideration today?

If you go to the <a href="http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/">Legislature page</a> and then click on the 1pm Assembly Session it will bring up the list. For some reason you can't like to it directly. Looks like 20 proposed bills

A588 Ammunition, penetrate body armor-proh.

A1116 Handgun sales-estab. 180 day prohibition

A1329 Ammunition magazines-reduce to 10 rounds

A1387 Weapon free zones-estab. sch., pub. fac.

A1683 Firearms ammunition purch.-concerns

A2027 Jessica Lunsford Act-assault on child

A2692 Christopher's Law-gang viol. prev. prog.

A3061 HVACR lic. req.-exempts cert. persons

A3510 Firearms permits and id cards-concerns

A3583 Sch. Security Task Force-estab.

A3645 Ammunition sale-estab reglatory prog.

A3659 Weapons, cert.-destructive definition

A3668 Assault firearm manuf-St investment proh

A3687 Firearm id card-disqual. Terrorist List

A3717 NICS-submit cert. mental health records

A3748 Gun sales, priv.-background check req.

A3754 Mental health prof warning-seize firearm

A3760 HIV testing-req. 48 hrs. of request

A3772 Firearm purch. id card-picture req.

A3788 Firearms records-abolish right of access

A3796 Firearms, unlawfully possessed-dispose

A3797 Firearms-concerns seized and recovered

ACR180 Firearms, stricter control measures-leg.

AR143 Gun buyback prog.-express support

AR144 Mental Health Parity-concerns exemp.

Oh okay, how many are in consideration today?

Go to njleg.state.nj.us. In the middle, there should be a section labeled legislative schedule with a bunch of links under it. Click on the Assembly Session link.

The way the site is set up prevents me from linking to the page properly.

The bill I'm really worried about is the one about in-home inspections. Knowing this state that is a very slippery slope.

The problem with THAT one is the 4th Amendment! I doubt it will see the light of day again. Requiring people to relinquish their right to the 4th in order to exercise the 2nd would be a stretch, even for more left-leaning judges.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Go to njleg.state.nj.us. In the middle, there should be a section labeled legislative schedule with a bunch of links under it. Click on the Assembly Session link.

The way the site is set up prevents me from linking to the page properly.

Found it, thanks.

The problem with THAT one is the 4th Amendment! I doubt it will see the light of day again. Requiring people to relinquish their right to the 4th in order to exercise the 2nd would be a stretch, even for more left-leaning judges.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

I completely agree, the proposed bill is very far-reaching and dangerous, especially in its vague language. I also agree that it would be very difficult for them to pass it but honestly, anymore nothing surprises me. These legislators have far too much emotion on this issue and not much, if any, logic.

I say yes because i have a beretta 92fs m9a1 waiting for my permits to come in, and it has two 15 round magazines with it.

Will your FFL give you the mags now so that you have posession before the bill passes?

I, like others, hope the law will not change and I'm writing, calling, faxing my resp.

But I think it will pass because they will do whatever they want.

What about the 5 round limit that Cryan proposed. What happened to that?

Also not being considered right now.

I hope we defeat this, because I have 3 15 round USP 9mm magazines coming in the mail (I don't own a USP... yet). Emailed my assemblymen yesterday, time to start with senator and Christie. Though my senator is Buono, so I don't know how far I'll get with that...

I think it will go through assembly and then Christie will veto it. He has said multiple times he thinks our current laws are tough enough.

And more recently he said that Newtown changed everything.

You guys get way way to hung up on what someone said a couple of years ago. People change their minds.

By saying "This could save just one life" is not an argument. It is like saying, if I don't let my child learn to walk, then they will never fall and bump their head so i am going to prevent them from learning how to walk.

Quote of the month. I am stealing this.

And more recently he said that Newtown changed everything.

You guys get way way to hung up on what someone said a couple of years ago. People change their minds.

He said it at a town meeting two weeks after Newtown. I will try to find the clips, but he has said it recently.

10 rounds received 29 "Nay" votes. That's too many "Nay" votes for the Democrats to override a veto. If Christie told his Republicans to vote "Nay", he's not going to sign a bill after he asked them vote against it for him.

Christie is the one calling the shots here.

Most of his Republicans voted the way they did way because that's what they believe. But he also has a few Volvo Republicans and soccer moms who don't know a 15 round magazine from a Pez dispenser and they did what he told them to do.

IMHO, anything with fewer than 27 "Nay" votes, he signs. Anything with 27 or more "Nay" votes he vetoes. He's not going to ask them to go out on a limb for him and then saw off the limb by signing it.

10 rounds received 29 "Nay" votes. That's too many "Nay" votes for the Democrats to override a veto. If Christie told his Republicans to vote "Nay", he's not going to sign a bill after he asked them vote against it for him.

Christie is the one calling the shots here.

Most of his Republicans voted the way they did way because that's what they believe. But he also has a few Volvo Republicans and soccer moms who don't know a 15 round magazine from a Pez dispenser and they did what he told them to do.

IMHO, anything with fewer than 27 "Nay" votes, he signs. Anything with 27 or more "Nay" votes he vetoes. He's not going to ask them to go out on a limb for him and then saw off the limb by signing it.

Bob I hope your right. As usual what you write makes sense but we are dealing with back stabbing politicians.

Bob I hope your right. As usual what you write makes sense but we are dealing with back stabbing politicians.

Most of the back-stabbing occurs on the other side of the aisle. NJ Republicans are a perpetual minority here so they stick together.

At least in New Jersey, Republicans don't eat their young. If Christie asked them to do something, it's for a reason and he'll support them.

(Nationally, the Republicans tend to form a circular firing squad when they're not being cannibals. So GOK what they'll ever do. Kinda the flip side of the Democrats. But we're talking here on the state level.)