BOOMSTICK

Gun-control measure passes New Jersey Assembly

63-3? If they get similar numbers in the Senate, a veto won't mean anything.

A measure to keep guns out of the hands of people on the anti-terrorism no-fly list was approved by a vote of 63-3 with 10 abstentions, but most others were roughly equivalent to the political split in the chamber, 48 Democrats and 32 Republicans.

http://www.nj.com/po...package_of.html

Most of the nearly two dozen bills taken up in the wake of the shootings in Newtown, Conn., were approved largely along party lines, and a few received near-unanimous support.

Among the most controversial of the measures approved was one that would limit the size of ammunition magazines to 10 shells from the current 15 (A1329). Others would outlaw .50 caliber weapons (A3659), create weapon-free school zones (A1387), require background checks for private gun sales (A3748) and require safety training for people seeking firearm purchase permits (A3510).

The bills have a long way to go, however. They have to be approved by the full Senate and signed by Gov. Chris Christie, a Republican, who sounded a skeptical note today.

Republicans accused Democratic colleagues of rushing through shoddy bills to score political points in a year when Gov. Chris Christie is seeking election to a second term and all 120 seats in the Legislature are at stake.

"This is simply a way for the Democrats to find a wedge issue in a year when they can’t find a wedge issue," Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnick (D-Union) said shortly before the series of votes.

Although state Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen), the majority leader, is leading the effort in her chamber, no hearings have been scheduled and Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) has not said much on the issue.

"The Senate President is currently reviewing this legislation to determine the best course of action moving forward," Chris Donnelly, a spokesman for said Sweeney, said.

And then there is Christie.

"I’m a little surprised at how quickly they’ve done it," the governor said at a news conference in Sea Bright. "This is a very difficult issue, a complex one, and one that our national government’s taking a long time to look at and study. It’s amazing to me how quickly the Assembly can move when they want to and so I find that one fascinating, too. We’ll see."

http://www.phillybur...a5d8e9f58f.html

Among the measures was one to codify state law to make clear that firearms records are exempt from being obtained either through New Jersey’s Open Public Records Act or a common law request. Lawmakers decided the clarification was needed after the Journal News in Westchester County, New York, published a story listing the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits.

The measure is opposed by the New Jersey Press Association, which argues that it is unnecessary because the records already are exempted from OPRA but that the bill could remove the common law access to information on a case-by-case basis.

Assembly lawmakers voted 77-0 to approve the bill.

That's the ONE of the bunch that makes sense!

Most of the other bills were approved over objections from Republican lawmakers, who claimed the measures, while well-intended, would not help prevent gun violence.

“This bill will not stop a lunatic intent on going on a killing spree,” said Assemblywoman Amy Handlin, R-13th of Middletown, about a measure to reduce the maximum size of ammunition magazines from 15 rounds to 10. “We don’t need to pile on more laws to make us feel good following national tragedies.”

Assembly Majority Leader Lou Greenwald, D-6th of Voorhees, said the measures strike a balance between preserving residents’ constitutional rights to own firearms and saving lives.

Greenwald cited the death of former Philadelphia Phillies manager Dallas Green’s 9-year-old granddaughter, Christina Taylor Green, who was killed during a 2011 shooting in Tucson, Ariz.

“That young girl was killed with the 13th bullet in that chamber,” Greenwald said. “The difference between 10 and 15 could be anyone. On that day, it was a 9-year-old girl.”

The measure was approved by a 45-29 vote.

It looks like Christie may sign a few so he can't be accused of being a puppet of the NRA. But I doubt he'll sign anything that went along party lines. Not if that's the way the Republicans were told to vote.

NJ has, I think, the second lowest firearm rate of any state -- just Hawaii is lower. There are a fair number of at least somewhat conservative NJ voters on everything but firearms that don't understand or really think about guns. Or want to.

Gun owners in the state are a minority within a minority. So his Republicans in the legislature are going out on a limb. I'll grant you that with the latest NJ redistricting/gerrymander, it's not an awfully high limb. But I just do not see him sawing off the limb after he asked them to get out on it, and signing anything that most of his Republicans voted "Nay" on.

The Democrats are trying to introduce (and bury) wedge issues. They put minimum wage on the ballot for November as a constitutional amendment. They don't want gay marriage on the ballot in November as a constitutional amendment and that's why Sweeney is trying to override Christie's veto. (I doubt he'll be successful.)

The point of most (not all) of these 22 bills yesterday is to make Christie veto them. Or sign them. The first choice hurts him with the NJ soccer moms in November. The second hurts him with Arizona, Texas and Louisiana voters in the 2016 Republican primaries.

After the revised bills pass both the NJ Assembly and Senate, Christie then has 45 days to either sign or veto them. (I think it's one of the longest windows of any state.)

I think they're trying to move this as close to the November election as possible. And hoping that some of Christie's historical NJ approval fades by then.

He'll sign a few of the bills, but I don't see Christie signing any bill that received more than 27 "Nay" votes.

I'd like to see ALL the vote totals v. bills. (To see what we're really going to get stuck with.)

So I'm really interested in reading the tea leaves!

* The 2012-2013 NJ Legislature consists of the General Assembly and the State Senate. The NJ Assembly has 80 seats. At the moment, 48 are held by Democrats and 32 seats are held by Republicans.To override a veto, the Democrats need 2/3 or 54 votes. To sustain a veto, Christie needs only 1/3 or 27 votes. IMO, Christie is not going to sign anything that received 27 or more "Nay" votes. Not after his Republicans went out on a limb and voted "Nay" for him, jeopardizing votes from the soccer moms and Volvo Republicans. Whatever you say about Republicans in the state, they don't eat their young.

I was there yesterday in chambers, I thought I was going down to Trenton (first time ever doing such a thing) and being part of large crowds outside in the cold fighting for or against....holy crap, I walked into the state house 12:15, no lines no waiting, seated in the chambers...holy crap I was amazed but then saddened about the lack of overwhelming caring from either side. There was no traffic jam of pro or anti gun people which tells me not enough give a crap :(

I am not one of those persons who is anti goverment because I know it really is a free country and eventually controlled by people the majority voted into office and if things don't turn out the way we like during there stay the majority just has to band together and change it the next time around or speak up and demand immediate action. Problem is just like what I saw yesterday...not enough people care either way.

Years ago (probably 20+ yrs) I watched 20/20 or 60 minutes about a town outwest somewhere where citizens could openingly grow and smoke pot on their own (Not for trade). How this happen? Because the "People" voted a sheriff out of office for being to strict and voted in one that turned the other cheek. Years passed and then another Sheriff got voted in and started busting people so the towns folk voted him out and voted in another who looks the other way. That is how the system works when enough people care either way.

Disappointed with the vote regarding the "terrorist" watch list.

Atleast add some language which allows for due process, unlike on the federal level.

Especially considering the fact that everyone from Senator Kennedy to 6 year old Christian girls have made the list.

Or the fact that anyone could be placed on the list simply due to a quota:

http://www.thedenver...t-to-meet-quota

Brick, about 3 or 4 miles outside the PP Boarder, low taxes, no flood table, good neighbors and needs nothing.

Well maybe a few new trees in the yard to replace what was lost in the storm for some added privacy.

Only $265,000

Im outta here!

Anyone interested in a Shore House?

I saw the handwritting on the wall a few years ago when they started talking about limiting gun purchases to one per month. I am lucky enough that I can work from anywhere there is an internet connection. Came home one day and told the wife to put the house up for sale. 7 months later we moved to Florida and after 3 years we are the happiest we have been in our 41 years of marriage. Today it is 84 degrees. I look into my yard and see palm trees. I can go and buy as many guns as I want and shoot at an indoor range for $9 just 20 minutes away passing by farms and ranches filled with cattle, horses and buffalo. No State or City taxes mean more disposable income and property taxes are a fraction of what they were in NJ.

With the reduced taxes and lower cost of everything else, I have also been able to reduce my work week to 4 days in the winter, spring and fall and 3 days in the summer without sacrificing my lifestyle. Now I shoot almost every week, have purchased as many as 8 guns in a single day, and can carry a gun concealed to all the places I normally go to.

I was there yesterday in chambers, I thought I was going down to Trenton (first time ever doing such a thing) and being part of large crowds outside in the cold fighting for or against....holy crap, I walked into the state house 12:15, no lines no waiting, seated in the chambers...holy crap I was amazed but then saddened about the lack of overwhelming caring from either side. There was no traffic jam of pro or anti gun people which tells me not enough give a crap :(

I am not one of those persons who is anti goverment because I know it really is a free country and eventually controlled by people the majority voted into office and if things don't turn out the way we like during there stay the majority just has to band together and change it the next time around or speak up and demand immediate action. Problem is just like what I saw yesterday...not enough people care either way.

Years ago (probably 20+ yrs) I watched 20/20 or 60 minutes about a town outwest somewhere where citizens could openingly grow and smoke pot on their own (Not for trade). How this happen? Because the "People" voted a sheriff out of office for being to strict and voted in one that turned the other cheek. Years passed and then another Sheriff got voted in and started busting people so the towns folk voted him out and voted in another who looks the other way. That is how the system works when enough people care either way.

I fear this is NOT about the next election and the next vote. The assembly could care less about the freedom and rights of the American people and the Constitution. And, Washington is the same. They have already made up their minds and made that clear, and they know that they have the sheeple, the special interests, and a large chunk of NWO cash to bankroll them. Make no mistake, this is a coordinated attack. And, they are all aware of their respective parts and playing their specific roles, especially in the statist-ruled, dependency-laden infected states in this nation such as California, Illinois, New York, and of course, New Jersey. Right now the board is set up, the opening move has been played and the game is all being coordinated to take away our individual freedoms, and especially the right to keep and bear arms.

We the People have to use whatever means, legally and peacefully that we can to defeat these politicians and the agenda that they have put in motion. But, unless we let the following sink in, we won't be have the right strategy developed to stop them.

Our main weakness is that we underestimate these people and their cunning plans. We try to make sense of the daily attacks on liberty based on past political checkers, etc. and we foolishly believe that these political thugs are concerned about being reelected. THEY ARE NOT and that is KEY to developing our strategy. I cannot stress this enough, but this is something new to our nation and needs to be internalized. As much as the politicians can work toward their reelection of course, as they have practiced doing so in a self-serving way, they will attempt to do so, but they are much more concerned with bringing forth their agenda, and convincing us and would like you to believe they are concerned with reelection so that we focus your energy on that model. But, the key is that the political leaders of this movement that call the shots, they are fully aware of the coming economic collapse, and I am talking both sides of the aisle. They most likely have a time-table for it to happen already planned out (just as the events back in the summer of 2008 when the housing market was scheduled to pop).

THERE ARE ALREADY TRIGGERS in place to topple it whenever they choose to do so, and they have been working diligently toward it for almost the last hundred years, patiently biding their time and then picking up the ball and running feverishly at the last minute. Yes, this newer crowd longs for the gratification of finally bringing it about. Well, the time has come, and they are ready, but they need more control, a little more assurance. In order to go ahead with the plan, they need to have much more control over the people, especially the armed, and libertarian and Constitutionally focused citizens that believe in individual rights and freedom. They are also concerned about the undead sheeple hordes that have put them into power and what they might do once the zombie hierarchy of needs and wants aren't being met. Our leaders are bent on disarmament and are willing to risk all of their political capital to do so.

THEY ARE BETTING ON THE FACT THAT THE FINANCIAL MELTDOWN WILL happen soon. That will enable them to put martial law, in place. Are all politicians in on it? No, but the ones strategically placed in positions of power on this board certainly are.

The American people are being played. The torch of liberty is but a brief candle and almost out. Checkmate is coming. And, if you care to look into this for yourselves, you will seek your proof in all of their actions. Take for example the Governor of NY. In putting forth that draconian set of laws, he knew that it would hurt him if he ran for president in the future. But, he is willing to make that sacrifice. However, a calculation was made and he was told to make the move... toward a foreshadowing of another future for our country, an alien future from the principles that made this country great. It would be conditioning in NY. It would be a microcosm to see how this game could be played out across the country. These people are serious that We the People and our relationship to our government will be forever changed. Cuomo was willing to be a sacrificial pawn in the chess game that they have forced upon us, and we still think we are playing Candy Land. To them, the ends justify the means, and Cuomo knows that he will be rewarded. Christie was assigned his part to play as well and he will seek his just rewards.

I fear this is NOT about the next election and the next vote. The assembly could care less about the freedom and rights of the American people and the Constitution. And, Washington is the same. They have already made up their minds and made that clear, and they know that they have the sheeple, the special interests, and a large chunk of NWO cash to bankroll them. Make no mistake, this is a coordinated attack. And, they are all aware of their respective parts and playing their specific roles, especially in the statist-ruled, dependency-laden infected states in this nation such as California, Illinois, New York, and of course, New Jersey. Right now the board is set up, the opening move has been played and the game is all being coordinated to take away our individual freedoms, and especially the right to keep and bear arms.

We the People have to use whatever means, legally and peacefully that we can to defeat these politicians and the agenda that they have put in motion. But, unless we let the following sink in, we won't be have the right strategy developed to stop them.

Our main weakness is that we underestimate these people and their cunning plans. We try to make sense of the daily attacks on liberty based on past political checkers, etc. and we foolishly believe that these political thugs are concerned about being reelected. THEY ARE NOT and that is KEY to developing our strategy. I cannot stress this enough, but this is something new to our nation and needs to be internalized. As much as the politicians can work toward their reelection of course, as they have practiced doing so in a self-serving way, they will attempt to do so, but they are much more concerned with bringing forth their agenda, and convincing us and would like you to believe they are concerned with reelection so that we focus your energy on that model. But, the key is that the political leaders of this movement that call the shots, they are fully aware of the coming economic collapse, and I am talking both sides of the aisle. They most likely have a time-table for it to happen already planned out (just as the events back in the summer of 2008 when the housing market was scheduled to pop).

THERE ARE ALREADY TRIGGERS in place to topple it whenever they choose to do so, and they have been working diligently toward it for almost the last hundred years, patiently biding their time and then picking up the ball and running feverishly at the last minute. Yes, this newer crowd longs for the gratification of finally bringing it about. Well, the time has come, and they are ready, but they need more control, a little more assurance. In order to go ahead with the plan, they need to have much more control over the people, especially the armed, and libertarian and Constitutionally focused citizens that believe in individual rights and freedom. They are also concerned about the undead sheeple hordes that have put them into power and what they might do once the zombie hierarchy of needs and wants aren't being met. Our leaders are bent on disarmament and are willing to risk all of their political capital to do so.

THEY ARE BETTING ON THE FACT THAT THE FINANCIAL MELTDOWN WILL happen soon. That will enable them to put martial law, in place. Are all politicians in on it? No, but the ones strategically placed in positions of power on this board certainly are.

The American people are being played. The torch of liberty is but a brief candle and almost out. Checkmate is coming. And, if you care to look into this for yourselves, you will seek your proof in all of their actions. Take for example the Governor of NY. In putting forth that draconian set of laws, he knew that it would hurt him if he ran for president in the future. But, he is willing to make that sacrifice. However, a calculation was made and he was told to make the move... toward a foreshadowing of another future for our country. It would be conditioning. It would be a microcosm to see how this came will be played out across the country. These people are serious that We the People and our relationship to our government will be forever changed. Cuomo was willing to be a sacrificial pawn in the chess game that they have forced upon us, and we still think we are playing Candy Land. To them, the ends justify the means, and Cuomo knows that he will be rewarded. Christie was assigned his part to play as well and he will seek his just rewards.

The problem is too many people don't know or care about their liberties being eroded. All they are concerned with is the elimination round on American Idol and 'The Harlem Shake'.

We look like kooks trying to reach the masses with this message.

They (.gov) know the whole system is built on a house of cards, and they will do whatever is necessary to stay in power, including dealing with US.

The American people are being played. The torch of liberty is but a brief candle and almost out. Checkmate is coming. And, if you care to look into this for yourselves, you will seek your proof in all of their actions. Take for example the Governor of NY. In putting forth that draconian set of laws, he knew that it would hurt him if he ran for president in the future. But, he is willing to make that sacrifice. However, a calculation was made and he was told to make the move... toward a foreshadowing of another future for our country. It would be conditioning. It would be a microcosm to see how this came will be played out across the country. These people are serious that We the People and our relationship to our government will be forever changed. Cuomo was willing to be a sacrificial pawn in the chess game that they have forced upon us, and we still think we are playing Candy Land. To them, the ends justify the means, and Cuomo knows that he will be rewarded. Christie was assigned his part to play as well and he will seek his just rewards.

yep this.......if we ignore the Collapsing Economy....Gun Control doesnt make sense, and we are senselessly fighting it...it entirely explains why they so desperately need to control guns

I'm truly amazed I haven't given up on life yet.

Given up? You have a responsibility to our children to stand firm! Many have sacrificed much for our bleeding nation. They didn't just give up!

Given up? You have a responsibility to our children to stand firm! Many have sacrificed much for our bleeding nation. They didn't just give up!

Yes many have given all, countless families torn apart and lives lost to birth this freedom we have!

It's a shame how it's trampled on, all in the name of 'safety' and 'common sense'.

The American people are being played. The torch of liberty is but a brief candle and almost out. Checkmate is coming. And, if you care to look into this for yourselves, you will seek your proof in all of their actions. Take for example the Governor of NY. In putting forth that draconian set of laws, he knew that it would hurt him if he ran for president in the future. But, he is willing to make that sacrifice. However, a calculation was made and he was told to make the move... toward a foreshadowing of another future for our country, an alien future from the principles that made this country great. It would be conditioning in NY. It would be a microcosm to see how this game could be played out across the country. These people are serious that We the People and our relationship to our government will be forever changed. Cuomo was willing to be a sacrificial pawn in the chess game that they have forced upon us, and we still think we are playing Candy Land. To them, the ends justify the means, and Cuomo knows that he will be rewarded. Christie was assigned his part to play as well and he will seek his just rewards.

Hold on, let me get my tin foil. :p

yes, our economy is fragile and could collapse under certain conditions. Yes, it's good to prepare for such an occurrence (I'm a bit of a prepper myself). Yes, our politicians are using the Constitution for toilet paper.

If this vision of the future comes to pass, I will stand beside you... that has not happened yet.

But talking like this will alienate people and do more harm than good for our cause

Not just about guns.

Socialism: Steady transformation through Incrementalism.

Nothing wrong with stealing bits of it to improve ourselves. Its wrong when people are told they need to live in a glass box, when people tell them they have to buy something instead of someone telling them why they shouldn't buy things or have "this coverage". When we're spoonfed bs because someone's agenda policy is to pretend to protect people out of shere incompetency or the desire to have more of an elite ruling class and an iron fist.

Unfortunately, when the nation that's supposed to be more free spends more money on health coverages than nations with more "free healthcare", is regularly chipping civil liberties in favor of a police state, and the Canadians and Swiss are starting to look more positive with their guns (not that they are compared to us), you can see why Liberals will blindly think socialism is the answer.

I didn't swear an oathe 5 years ago to see the constitution taken a huge shit upon it, but I'm losing the desire to be around people when they callously don't care about being lied to, and then complain that they're losing their privacy because of party alignment stupidity. The "lesser of two piles of shit" is still a stinking pile of shit.

Why the fugg did I start ranting?

If you guys are hoping on Christie, good luck with that. Outside of NJ, he's known as an Anti-2A RINO, very, very unpopular among conservative circles. People are betting he will run on a Democraptic ticket.

If he vetoes that will help him with a Presidential run in 2016.