sure shot

It is all up to Christie

We should continue to work as hard as we can to prevent anymore intrusion into our 2nd Amendment rights. We can try to keep things from getting worse but I don't think we have much of a chance at making them better than they are right now. After Christie leaves office, then what? More than likely you'll have a Dem Governor, a Dem legislature in a Dem state.

Our "salvation" so to speak, lies in the courts. I think that NJ will have to be forced to change... like Illinois is right now with the recent decision by the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. Illinois has until June 6th to come up with "reasonable" CCW laws. Some insiders are hinting that Ill. may be leaning towards "shall issue".

Court challenges to CCW (etc.) are being waged across our country and the end result of these decisions will hopefully set a precedent whereby we can effectively challenge NJ's archaic and backwards firearms laws. So if things look dim and they don't go our way just remember it ain't over 'till it's over. If Illinois ends up having less restrictive CCW laws than NJ then there is hope for us also.

NEWS UPDATE: Just in, the 10th circuit court of appeals has just announced that concealed carry is not protected by the 2nd Amendment. This contradiction in recent court decisions may be setting the stage for the involvement of the SCOTUS.

Edited by johnott

I feel like we are just fighting for time. I think even if we win this round, the gun grabbers in the legislature will just keep trying in years to come. I fear this having to desperately fight to preserve our rights will become the new norm. They will just try to make our lives so miserable by creating so many hurdles, obstacles, and expenses to gun ownership that we just give up. We are safe with Christie as governor but once he leaves office, god knows who will replace him.

So my wife and I have drafted a five year plan to move the hell out of NJ. I've had enough of this walking on eggshells and jumping through hoops just to have permission to exercise a constitutional right. I have lived my entire life in this state and love it dearly, but I give up. Abandon ship.

I feel like we are just fighting for time. I think even if we win this round, the gun grabbers in the legislature will just keep trying in years to come. I fear this having to desperately fight to preserve our rights will become the new norm. They will just try to make our lives so miserable by creating so many hurdles, obstacles, and expenses to gun ownership that we just give up. We are safe with Christie as governor but once he leaves office, god knows who will replace him.

So my wife and I have drafted a five year plan to move the hell out of NJ. I've had enough of this walking on eggshells and jumping through hoops just to have permission to exercise a constitutional right. I have lived my entire life in this state and love it dearly, but I give up. Abandon ship.

My wife and I have also drafted a plan to leave NJ as we feel the same way you do. We have lived hear for 38 years but we are done with it. However, even if we win this round we have to keep fighting because as you said, once Christie leaves who knows who will take over. So, once this fight is done we have no time to rest, we just have to shift gears and get ready for the next fire.

My question is what will YOU do if these laws come to pass? Where is your threshold of action? Will you just sell your 15 rounders and comply with the privacy and home invasions to keep whatever guns they allow you to keep? At what point do you sacrifice your job, comfort, retirement fund, insurances, family and possibly your own life to fight the wrong doers? Or will you never? "Molon Labe" means "come and take them" by the way, and come they will. I am always curious to know what the ratio of smoke blowers to warriors are among the ranks of gun rights supporters.

My question is what will YOU do if these laws come to pass? Where is your threshold of action? Will you just sell your 15 rounders and comply with the privacy and home invasions to keep whatever guns they allow you to keep? At what point do you sacrifice your job, comfort, retirement fund, insurances, family and possibly your own life to fight the wrong doers? Or will you never? "Molon Labe" means "come and take them" by the way, and come they will. I am always curious to know what the ratio of smoke blowers to warriors are among the ranks of gun rights supporters.

So....are you a Warrior or a Blower ?:D

Molon Labe

We have a daughter who has her "dream job" in NYC. I have a few elderly relatives left here. We have roots here. BUT Two of my BILs are retired in North Carolina. My wife just retired. I telecommute out of state.

We have been looking for a larger house in NJ. (I know, we're nuts, but you only live once, right?) This latest example of histrionics on the part of the NJ Legislature has made me extremely apprehensive about putting all our eggs in one basket and buying a much larger house here. I've been discussing the idea that instead, we could keep a house in New Jersey, buy a larger house in North Carolina, and split time between the two states. I don't need to be in New Jersey to work. I can work pretty much anywhere on the planet that has electricity and high speed internet.

What will I do with respect to the NJ Assembly bills, if they are passed by the Senate as written and signed into law by Christie?

I'll send my >10 round mags that came from the factory with guns to a relative who lives out of state until he can send them back to me after I have an abode outside of the state. I might sell some of the >10s aftermarket mags that I purchased, because frankly I have accumulated too many. I'll sell the "NJ Special" AR mags because I should be able to purchase as many 20s and 30s as I want in North Carolina. Colorado is going to 15 so I don't think they'd be completely worthless.

So yes, I'd intend to comply with all laws of the State of New Jersey, when in New Jersey.

And I'd comply with the laws of the State of North Carolina, when in North Carolina.

I'd like to believe that the trend in the blue states will turn around -- but it may not be within my lifetime even if it does. As has been pointed out, no matter what Christie does, this is a blue state and will probably elect a Democrat governor again.

It took Rome centuries to collapse completely. If things got too bad in New Jersey, we'd just sell the house to cut the cord completely and stay in a hotel when we visit.

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious.

I will not comply.

Do you guys know if the 15 round mags are grandfathered in or you have to surrender them?

Are you allowed to sell them to a resident of a state which does allow hi cap mag in the event

the mag limit passes?

Its easy for all you mo's to say GTFO.. its not that easy to just pack it all in a moving truck and start on a clean slate in a new state. I would rather go down in a ball of flames on my own territory knowing I fought for what's right ! I will not comply!

Molon Labe

Its easy for all you mo's to say GTFO.. its not that easy to just pack it all in a moving truck and start on a clean slate in a new state. I would rather go down in a ball of flames on my own territory knowing I fought for what's right ! I will not comply!

Molon Labe

Yep... The whole "I'm leaving this state" crowd isn't really helping our current situation...it's about those who are staying and fighting... For me leaving isn't an option...this is where I live... Can't justify moving family over firearms laws...which by the way can change anywhere you go very quickly in today's climate.

I plan on leaving ASAP due to the restrictive laws, corrupt politicians on both sides, taxed into the poor house, property value down ~50%, and a host of other reasons...

the ammo and firearms online ban is restricting NJ citizens to only do business here in NJ more or less.

this law restricts NJ residents from doing business out of state, stopping an open market, trade, and free will of its citizens imo.

is it legal per our Nj constitution to do this?

For me it's simple, I have a family, a job, retirement pension and investments. To sit there and scream I will not comply while being arrested for having a magazine that holds 12 rounds is stupid. This only leaves my wife without out a husband and my daughter without a father. That is dumb. What I will do is ship my magazine to my family in Florida and wait for S&W to make a NJ compliant mag. If they do not then I will transfer my hand gun to a relative in Florida and let it stay with them until we leave NJ. By not complying and getting tossed in jail your are not helping yourself, your family or our cause.

Its cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Trust me, I know its not going to be easy for me to uproot my whole life and move elsewhere. That's why I'm using the next 3-5 years as a realistic time frame to get out. But I feel like with all the recent events, the writing is on the wall for gun ownership in this state. My parents are soon retiring and getting out as well...they don't even own firearms or give a shit about gun laws, but they are tired of being taxed to death and want to be able to retire comfortably.

There is the noble notion of staying and fighting till the bitter end, but i just don't have the stomach for it...nor would i want to still be a "subject" here if/when things get way worse down the line.. I have been doing my part writing to the assembly, senate, and Christie, but only to try to assure that my gun rights will be safe for the next few years until I'm ready to pull up my stakes and GTFO. This state is just too far gone.

I honestly feel like we can beat this... I feel that if we can make these politicians realize simply how many gun owners/voters there are, they may be swayed a little. I love the letters being written advising them that we are conected through social media and are keeping VERY close tabs on which ways these people are voting. If these people want to be re elected, they need to realize who their voters are. They need to understand that they are ELECTED officials that serve US and if we dont get the selfless service we need we WILL vote the other way...Keep up the good work and write those letters!!! I have written several myself!

CPAC isn't inviting Christie this year.

But Hotair has an interesting take on it.

http://hotair.com/ar...ited-this-year/

All they’re doing here, whether they realize it or not, is throwing him into the briar patch. Christie was never going to run as the conservative choice in 2016 and lord knows he’s not going to run as a conservative to get reelected in New Jersey. That’s how Democrats will try to paint him, of course, but now he has fresh evidence to rebut the charge — he’s unwelcome at the preeminent gathering of American conservatives. CPAC’s unwittingly helping him burnish his brand as the country’s most formidable centrist Republican. Expect him to gets lots of mileage out of it in interviews over the next month.

I've been wondering how he was going to manage to appear liberal enough for New Jersey soccer moms and Volvo Republicans in 2013 and conservative enough for red state Republican primary voters in 2016.

By not being considered "conservative enough" for CPAC and "slobbering all over Obama after Sandy" he can continue to say "I think we have enough gun laws now". And govern more conservatively than he might otherwise. And not be forced to commit seppuku with Republican primary voters in Arizona, Louisiana and Texas.

The guy's a very smart lawyer and politician.

This will be fun to watch. (Unfortunately, it will more fun if you don't actually live in New Jersey.)

http://www.nj.com/po...t_river_default

Christie, a possible presidential candidate in 2016, joins Republican governors from Ohio, Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, North Dakota, Florida and New Mexico as well as Gov. Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island, an Independent, in embracing the larger Medicaid program.

The Medicare Obamacare expansion may not be at all consistent with conservative principles ... but it's money.

Christie never needed the New Jersey gun vote. His popularity is high enough that he's pretty much a shoo-in for re-election no matter what he does. But he needs the Arizona, Texas and Louisiana gun vote for the 2016 Republican primaries. He's going to have big problems with them if he signs any gun control law that can be described in a 15 second sound bite. That is, I think, the whole idea behind his NJ SAFE Task Force.

As gun owners in New Jersey, we're just along for the ride. The Republicans in the NJ Assembly voted the way they did because Christie told them to vote the way they did. Nothing will become law unless Christie wants it to become law.

As I said.....the NRA left NJ in the early 90's.....the hand writing was on the wall then and they were smart enough to see it....I attended some of those meetings back then......IMO....best advice I could give someone is to Move.....it can only get worse here...IMO.

NJ historically is a Black Hole.....IMO.

Interesting that you picked five years. I concluded this weekend that was my timeframe as well.

With the exception of going to college out of state I've lived in NJ my entire life. Several generations of my family have lived here. So while I do have family in other states I actually hate the thought of leaving NJ but I'm fed up with the anti-gunners, the ridiculous cost of living and the ever increasing effects of overpopulation, the NIMBYs, etc. I've had enough. Frankly, even CCW wouldn't be enough to keep me here at this point. Like others I'm stuck here because of a job, but as soon as I can find property elsewhere I'm buying. NH or the Carolinas are looking better and better every day. I sent a letter to Christie telling him as much and received a cookie-cutter politician's response today.

Will the last liberal paying all the bills in this state please turn out the lights before they leave?

Before everyone flees, ask yourself, why didn't gun rights disappear during the last few Democrat regimes? I still hold out hope that this is a perfect storm of Newtown and an election year with a Republican incumbent. It's still possible that we'll go back to the status quo of being the 2nd worst state in the country.

Even if you're planning to leave, please do one last favor to those of us stuck here, and let's try to get just one of these traitors out of office this November. It might be just the warning we need to send to get them to leave us alone for a few years. We're organizing, and we need all the help we can get. I think it's doable in some of the vulnerable districts. It just takes one, and they'll move on to easier prey.