Vini

Need an advice: shotgun for hunting in NJ

Need an advice: shotgun for hunting in NJ.

(it's a noob question)

Friend of mine is planning to start hunting. Filed for FID, now getting ready for hunting exam.

He doesn't know what shotgun to choose.

Should be good to hunt deer and birds, good quality, rugged and reasonably priced.

As far as I understand there are different barrels for slug (deer) and bird hunting. (is it correct, does it matter?)

Again, it's for a noob, so any useful opinions/pointers related to shotgun and hunting in NJ are appreciated.

ask Joe Biden.

Ok joke over.

Mossberg makes a combination gun with two barrels, one for slugs and one for birds.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-500-combo/54243

Pricing is affordable and gun is reliable and useful, and likely will last him his lifetime.

For the price and cost of available barrels and accessories you can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500. Ive shot many deer, ducks, geese, a few pheasant and a couple of turkeys with mine. Never a hicup. Great first gun to start the addiction!

have him go handle mossberg 500, remington 870 and see which one he likes the feel of. let him handle wood and synthetic stock guns. he may have a preference.

I wouldnt invest in a slug barrel yet. shoot some clay/skeet with birdshot.

where will he deer hunt? how far will be the average shot. if its inside 50 yards i would pattern the gun with buckshot. try #1 buckshot, than 00 or even 000. try the full choke and then the modified choke. all guns pattern differently.

usually plated buffered buckshot will be pattern better than unplated unbuffered shot.

Nick

My first was a mossberg 835.. it will cover deer to geese and its durable as all.. it rattles a bit but its been through hell and back 3 1/2 inch 12 Guage pump I use the same barrel for everything but rifled slugs. Its not a light gun though and can be a bit tiresome on an all day small game hunt.