DSD1026

Bringing Ammo into NYS

I know this isn't exactly a NJ Gun Law question, but I am wondering something and hope someone might be able to shed some light on this..

Going to visit my family in NY (upstate/western, not City, and not going through the City either) any my father has a couple 9mm guns that he wants me to try out at his range when we go. However, if we are going to do that, I dont want him wasting all of his own 9mm ammo on it, so I was thinking of bringing a couple boxes of 9mm ammo with us when we go.. (and maybe some shotgun ammo as well)

Question is, is it legal to bring ammo into NY State? (not a firearm, just ammo since i know clearly that bringing a handgun into NY state is illegal no matter what - if your destination is actually in NYS)

Im not sure if anyone can answer it, but maybe those who live closer to the NY border have had experience with this? I couldnt find anything specifically about it by doing a google search..

I'm not a lawyer so don't take this as legal advice.. I think it's perfectly legal. Having said that.. I would drive normally (no speeding). If you do get stopped. Never consent to a search. Do not answer any questions. Do not tell anyone you have ammunition.

well, i would definitely not be advertising that i had ammo.. it would be in a duffel bag in the back of the SUV along with our suitcases, etc. Plus, my dog will be in the back seat, so i highly doubt checking for ammo is going to be the biggest worry (and i dont normally go too fast, but since i'll be on NY roads for probably 3 hours, im just trying to get a sense)..

sounds like I shouldnt have too much of an issue since me & the wife and the dog will just be on a trip up to western NY to visit the family

I was paraphrasing from the law:

Non-residents

It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel if the person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console).

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container.

Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition or IHMSA sanctioned match, within 48 hours of the competition, if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county or to people with felony convictions.

Possession of firearms by a person who is a nonresident of this state is lawful while attending or traveling to or from an organized convention or exhibition approved by the NRA, and in which the nonresident is a registered participant within forty-eight hours of such event, provided that the nonresident has not been previously convicted of a felony and further provided that the firearms are transported unloaded in a locked opaque container together with a copy of the convention or exhibition program, convention or exhibition schedule or convention or exhibition registration card. This provision does not apply in NY cities not wholly contained within a single county.

A non-immigrant alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid hunting license issued by New York State and an approved gun import form from the BATFE.

It is even more ridiculous than that. Though you are able to bring ammo into NY legally, it is illegal under NY law for you to shoot your father's handgun at a range in the state unless you have a NYS handgun license, unless it is an official competition or you are under 18. Not that I think it would be enforced, but it might be and I would not do it in front of a police officer.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

hmm.. interesting.. i guess it would be technically illegal to do what i said.. (re: shooting his guns, with him there of course).. then again, it would be on his friends' private property (acreage with a plinking range)

and yet i could rent a gun from a range.. so stupid