AmericanMade

OBRPC MEMBERSHIP

I am interested in joining obrpc at the next months orientation. Can any members tell me what to bring and what to expect. Also, what do you like or dislike about the club? What are the rules of a probationary member? I read on the obrpc website that members are required to put in 12 hours of work time per year? Any additional information would be appreciated. I live 10 minutes from the indoor range and I'm hoping it will be a good fit for me.

I am interested in joining obrpc at the next months orientation. Can any members tell me what to bring and what to expect.

Eye and ear protection, pistol and ammo ( a .22 rifle and ammo is also permited), and your check book. It's just an overview of what the range offers and of course the rules. As well as a live fire segment to check you for safety.

Also, what do you like or dislike about the club?

OBRPC is very competition oriented. I almost didn't join because of this but, I sure am glad I did now. I had no idea how much fun shooting could be until I tried the various steel matches, USPSA, and OBRAMS. The competitions are newbie friendly and the members are very welcoming and helpful.

What are the rules of a probationary member?

The rules for a probationary member are basically the same a full member, except you are not allowed any guests during the probationary period. As a probationary member you are required to attend 5 competitions. You must participate in at least two of them. (I participated in all 5, watching isn't too much fun).

I read on the obrpc website that members are required to put in 12 hours of work time per year?

12 work hours a year are required (6 hours the first year, probationary members are not required to perform work hours). If you choose not to work the hours, you pay $15 per hour.

Any additional information would be appreciated. I live 10 minutes from the indoor range and I'm hoping it will be a good fit for me.

May be some helpul info in this old thread:

http://njgunforums.c...__fromsearch__1

well i did this big write up explaining everything, but then i see that freejersey chimed in and nailed it.... won't get that time back lol. Do not fear the competing requirement, it is ok to miss, no one is gonna eat you alive if your shots are hitting dirt, we want you to enjoy the sport. Everyone is extremely kind and respectful to new shooters and competitors, most people will even loan you gear for the match if you need it, it is when you get to know the people your squaded with that they eat you alive (in jest, lol). The only thing you will regret about joining this upcoming month is that you did not pull the trigger on joining sooner. Also you need to be a NRA member to join... doesn't hurt to join NJ2AS as well. If you have a birthday, anniversary, or whatever coming up, ya better ask for a belt, holster, and mag pouches now cause your gonna want it once your bitten.

Ehh, can't afford to join that place.

Molon Labe

Like overqueens, you don't have to be a member to come in for a match, you will pay the non member rate which is worth it for the day of shooting.. just don't get too comfy with the NJGF squad they are abusive, and have major self esteem issues. I personally think they are jealous of me, it is the only explanation... :-)

Yea, I'd like to know some info as well about joining. I live in Sayreville.

Molon Labe

I know it's some serious coin. That being said, with gas approaching $4 per gallon again, and commercial ranges getting $20 an HOUR, depending upon how much you wind-up shooting, the investment could be a break-even? And what's your time worth? Try driving to a commercial range 20-40 miles away, and then being blasted by rifle fire INDOORS. Old Bridge has a separate outdoor facility as well as a 12-point indoor range.

Best value for the money, at around a dollar a day.......

Dave

I know it's some serious coin. That being said, with gas approaching $4 per gallon again, and commercial ranges getting $20 an HOUR, depending upon how much you wind-up shooting, the investment could be a break-even? And what's your time worth? Try driving to a commercial range 20-40 miles away, and then being blasted by rifle fire INDOORS. Old Bridge has a separate outdoor facility as well as a 12-point indoor range.

Best value for the money, at around a dollar a day.......

Dave

When i use the indoor range it is usually 1-3 am.. its like having your own private range

One of the BEST reasons to join a private range like OBRPC or CJRPC is that your fellow shooters are SAFE! We do not tolerate ANYONE sweeping the line with a gun. You do it and get caught, you are gone! Go to Shore Shot or Brick Armory and watch what happens there ALL THE TIME! Places like those are the reason I joined a private range. I want to go home in one piece. Plus the private clubs have many events you can participate in at a reduced rate compared to being a non-member. All of OBRPC events are open to the general public though. If you are a safe shooter you are welcomed back. If you are not, depending on what happened, you could be done for the day, or you could be done forever. We do not tolerate un-safe people, as it should be. We aren't playing baseball here.

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just ask on this one. How crowded is the outdoor range during the weekend? The new member meeting is tomorrow and before I take the plunge without asking. I now go up to EFGA and wouldn't mind a closer range when short on time.

When there are no scheduled events at the range, it's usually pretty quiet. I have never had to wait to shoot. This is true of both the indoor and outdoor ranges.

A quick check of the events calendar will tell you if there is an event going on.

http://www.obrpc.org/

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll just ask on this one. How crowded is the outdoor range during the weekend? The new member meeting is tomorrow and before I take the plunge without asking. I now go up to EFGA and wouldn't mind a closer range when short on time.

I've never had to wait for a spot at the outdoor or indoor.

Absolutely a great club and even better group of people.

The last two times I visited the outdoor range (8/17 and 9/7) around 3:30pm, the 100 yard range had all lanes taken. I learned to bring a handgun as a backup so I can use some of the other pits while the rifle guys finish up. The previous 7-8 times I went there with my rifle, it's usually been empty or maybe one other person on Range 7. The range was pretty busy on Saturday. Only Range 2 was open when I got there. I'm not complaining, I think it's great everyone is out and practicing. I think the beautiful weather brings out the masses.

Question for other Old Bridge members - My understanding is that rifles should only be used on Ranges 6&7 only, is this correct?

The last two times I visited the outdoor range (8/17 and 9/7) around 3:30pm, the 100 yard range had all lanes taken. I learned to bring a handgun as a backup so I can use some of the other pits while the rifle guys finish up. The previous 7-8 times I went there with my rifle, it's usually been empty or maybe one other person on Range 7. The range was pretty busy on Saturday. Only Range 2 was open when I got there. I'm not complaining, I think it's great everyone is out and practicing. I think the beautiful weather brings out the masses.

Question for other Old Bridge members - My understanding is that rifles should only be used on Ranges 6&7 only, is this correct?

NOT correct!  Rifles are good to go in EVERY Numbered Pit!  So that's Chrono Pit - Range #7 (100 Yard Pit).

NO RIFLES on the Shotgun Range--Shotguns only and ONLY Bird Shot, NO Buckshot and NO Slugs!

Dave

Me too. The membership fees are a rip off. I joined Easton instead!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Personally, I don't mind paying for a safe place to shoot, especially one that's 5 minutes from my house. As often as I go, it is actually cheaper to pay the dues than to pay for the gas to go to Easton, or shore shot, etc. That plus all the events at Old Bridge really got me into shooting instead of having a gun in the nightstand and shooting it a couple times a year. Also have met some really good people through the range and competitions.

Personally, I don't mind paying for a safe place to shoot, especially one that's 5 minutes from my house. As often as I go, it is actually cheaper to pay the dues than to pay for the gas to go to Easton, or shore shot, etc. That plus all the events at Old Bridge really got me into shooting instead of having a gun in the nightstand and shooting it a couple times a year. Also have met some really good people through the range and competitions.

There's no need to defend it Steve -- some of us "get it"

There's no need to defend it Steve -- some of us "get it"

True, whatever - more for us !